• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP190: Pokémon Doctor - Takeshi!

Re: DP 190 "Pokémon Doctor - Takeshi!" Preview Thread

Poopy on me for JUST catching the episode now >_>

Aw, Team Rocket looks so cute on that raft XD

No surprise to anyone about Lucky. What seemed weird to me was that this episode seemed like it was kinda about how all of their pokemon pitched in to help, making ice, and steam, and pikachu doing the sparking stuff. Just seemed like a weird way for them to be like "yeah, he's going off on his own as a doctor, even though he makes use of all of his friends pokemon too."

Love the bgm at the end. Old school Kanto

Ah yes, that was 'A Meeting and a Parting' got it.
Overall, the episode was good. Nice to see a Brock focused episode for once!

They are being greeted home by Johanna and lots of people.

My computer started jumping at that point and i missed who it was. I could hear the voices and i was like "Who is it?! Who the hell is it!?!?!" :p

I came into the episode about half way. It was decidedly meh. Oh look, Brock takes care of some Pokemon. Everybody over reacts. And Team Rocket is there, causing more bullshit.

Next episode looks like a blast though.

It had some okay scenes but overall wasn't really the best episode. It was alright for a Brock episode, but other than that kind of tame compared to the last few episodes.

My random thoughts:

- The Rocket-Dan wondering what the treasure was hilarious. "Could it be Gold? Silver? Platinum? Ruby? Sapphire? Diamond? Pearl?"

- The super rare bottlecap the Dokukurage were going after was for a curry-flavored juice.

- It's kind of interesting to see that "poison" is being treated like a legitimate threat. In the games, it's little more than a tiny annoyance, but here it's treated like some kind of life-threatening thing.

- This episode had Satoshi and Hikari doing a lot more than I thought it would. Interesting.

- I think it's hilarious that Ayako's VA got a credit even though the character only said two words in the entire episode.

Tsutarja said:
Is that a Lava Cookie?

Yes.

Bubblewrap said:
I think that was some kind of Heal egg move, what's that called?

Like Ant_Lotr said, it's Softboiled (タマゴうみ).

So basically, all of Brock's knowledge couldn't save the Pichu, therefore Happiny had to evolve at the most convinient moment possible, stopping the 'chu from kicking the bucket and instantly healing it with a glowing egg-shaped light where actual medicinal prowess failed?

...um...alright then.

That bit at the end with Chansey was very nice (and very convenient as well).

And is it just me, or does Brock carry around enough Petcha and Oran berries to have a small fruit salad?

When Nurse Joy spoke to him at the end, did he straight away agree or think about it beforehand?

DP 190 "Pokémon Doctor - Takeshi!"

On the way to Futaba Town, Satoshi and Co. meet Nozoko, the caregiver of a group of baby Pokémon. After some Dokukurage chase Rocket Gang onto the group's ship, the baby Pokémon become poisoned and with no doctor on board, Takeshi proceeds to nurse them. Pinpuku helps as well in providing medicine made with berries. A Pichu was in the worst condition and was hard to deal with. Pinpuku tries to feed it medicine, but in the process evolves into Lucky. Lucky then proceeds to heal Pichu with what appears to be Softboiled. Nurse Joy then boards the ship and commends Takeshi's actions, while suggesting he becomes a doctor.

This episode seemed to be a typical Takeshi-focused one, but with the significance of being his last. It was nice to see that he has made-up his mind with becoming a doctor. We got a chance to hear Kaze to Issho ni and a variety of Drkrai music. Overall this episode deserves an 8.4/10.

V Faction said:
And is it just me, or does Brock carry around enough Petcha and Oran berries to have a small fruit salad?

He actually doesn't; that's why he and his friends had to spend half the episode searching every nook and cranny of the ship for whatever Berries they could salvage.

Bubblewrap said:
When Nurse Joy spoke to him at the end, did he straight away agree or think about it beforehand?

He's just thinking about it at this moment. The dialogue implies that the thought of being a Pokemon Doctor had never really crossed his mind before.

He actually doesn't; that's why he and his friends had to spend half the episode searching every nook and cranny of the ship for whatever Berries they could salvage.
Thrilling I'm sure. And exactly what was going on?

Hey!

Poison is the bane of all Nuzlockers, so don't just call it a 'tiny annoyance' especially in a challenge where fainting equals death.

On-topic, it took long enough for an evolution, yet it still can't save stale ol' Brock.

Hey!

Poison is the bane of all Nuzlockers, so don't just call it a 'tiny annoyance' especially in a challenge where fainting equals death.
I think if you have a Chansey it somehow cheapens the experience.

A show run by Nuzlocke rules would be very intriguing.

This episode was really wonderful and one of the better Brock-centric episodes IMO. The fact that he put a lot of work and effort while trying to heal those baby Pokémon, really makes it seem like he was a Pokémon doctor all the time. It seems like Happiny only evolved in order to help Pichu and the others, but besides that, Happiny could have evolved long time ago. Oh, and I really really liked the BGM which played, it was so soothing and touching at the same time.

Overall, it was a great episode and a nice conclusion for Brock although he doesn't leave until the next episode. That reminds me, did we ever get such sort of episode in previous sagas?

We got 'AG188 - Pinch Healing' but even though Brock played doctor in that one, it wasn't mainly focused around him and it also showed what Ash/May/Max were doing at the time.

Quick question: is this the first time we've seen Softboiled in the animé?

Ok, seriously, what is up with all this Rocket screen time as of late? This is supposed to be Takeshi's time, but they hogged like half the episode! Are they getting completely new personalities in BW, and this is the writers way of saying goodbye? It's really beyond annoying at this point.

The rest of the episode was kind of weird. It just kind of meandered along with Takeshi trying to heal the Pokemon, then Pinpuku finally evolving, then Takeshi not being sure what to do. I was hoping for something a bit more substantial, but it was still an enjoyable episode.

What trouble those bottlecaps cause...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom