• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP82 title

This episode sounds pretty funny. I mean, Croagunk dude.

I wonder if they'll expand on the part in the games that mentions Wake gives money to orphans or whatever.

As for the other episodes, I can't wait to see them too. Especially the Chimchar one. Chimchar development is always good and it's great to see it vs. one of Paul's pokemon (at the same time, I wonder if Gligar will see Gliscor).
Ya know, this episode sounds like a great time to have Gligar evolve, if Chimchar wasn't in the title. This is kinda dumb, but maybe Gligar obtains the needed evo item in this episode (maybe he knocks out Gliscor's fang on accident or something. :p)

11-78.jpg

images

He'll win the Gym Battles. -.-

Don't see why everyone's freaking out.

Well let me see the first two gl's flat out pwned Ash in thier first battles forcing him to have rematches that both had skeptical endings, and then he barely managed a draw with Maylene which was flat out rediculious considering Paul flat out owned her which is what Ash should be doing with his so called experiance.--

That's why people are freaking, cause Ash hasn't beaten a GL directly on his first try yet when he should've done so by now.

cassius335 said:
Fantina is going to be an utter pain. Ash has nothing to fight Ghost-types with.
No, not nothing. Turtwig has Bite, a dark-type move, and potentially has a Night Slasher in Gliscor (assuming Gligar evolves before Hearthome). Pikachu can also handle Drifblim.

Which would be boring as hell to watch. It's dramatic license, people - nothing more.

Sure it would be boring, but at the same time it's regressing Ash's character if he's having trouble beating conventional GL's especially after coming off something like the battle frontier which is for the best of the best trainers.

Effortlessly pwning them would show he's ready for the next step in the game, and prove he really could go against the E4 from any region.

That'd be boring though.

Why the hell does it matter really when we know at the end of the day he'll have the Gym leader beat? Don't get why "suspect" wins matter that much either, because I don't see how you judge battles between ficticious creatures.

So people want more matches like the one with Wattson? Where Pikachu KOed everyone and won the battle in 2 minutes? Effortlessly pwning trainers makes you a Gary Stu, I don't care how strong you are.

Yeah, slaughters are only fun in real life, or with Garchomp.

Wow, so it looks like Ash is going to meet all 5 Elite 4 members this season.

Which is good, because it might mean Ash will win the Sinnoh league and get to battle the Elite 4 afterward.

After four regions having Ash finally win a league would be great. I'm sure the Elite 4 matches will be filled with Ash's old Pokemon too, so we'll get to see some of his Kanto, Hoenn and a few of his Johto Pokemon used again for those matches.

I think that might depend on how much the third version will shake things up, whether there will be a Battle Frontier style quest or not.

Yeah, but I really hope they don't do that. I'd much rather Ash battle the Elite 4 + Cynthia after Sinnoh then go on another token collection quest.

Honestly, with all the build-up this saga has thus far I'll actually be disappointed if Ash just loses again and goes on another collect-a-thon quest.

They can do both things... if the E4 will be a tournament instead of a whole saga than they can do the E4 tournament and than go to Johto (or Sinnoh again if no remakes...) for the new BF thing

Wow, I'm really surprised that the magazine scan was right about the episode title! O.O

Now, it would be really strange if all of the information in that scan does turn out to be true.

And I find this very amusing, given that it's an English scan. How someone could actually know all of this info though is beyond me. Maybe someone just has really good sources? LOL. XD

The strangest thing of all is that it isn't a scan of an American magazine, it's a scan of an Australian one. We're behind the times in everything, mind you our airing of D/P was before even Canada and England LOL.

Habunake: It won't be boring if the writers handle it properly.

It matters whether or not Ash can beat the GLs on his first attempt *because* he is supposed to be at *minimum* the same skill level as they are. Yes, it's supposed to be difficult for Ash, but is it supposed to be *so* difficult that he can't figure out a way around them mid-battle(as he has done time and time again)?

GLs are *meant* to be overcome, as Norman once informed Max. And you seem to be forgetting that Ash is essentially shooting to become an equal among the *Elite Four* now, not just for an award like in previous competitions. It would be one thing for Ash to go down at the hands of Gym Leaders via the combination of bad luck and the exploitation thereof by said GLs, but these guys are blowing him away outright as if they were Anabel and Brandon(who, by the way, are supposed to be two of the most capable trainers in Kanto other than the regional Elite Four and Lance).

Piplup: Lucian stated quite clearly that Ash would have to beat the Sinnoh League and then *each* member of the Sinnoh Four before he would have a crack at Cynthia. The only tournament the E4 member mentioned was the Sinnoh League itself.

So people want more matches like the one with Wattson? Where Pikachu KOed everyone and won the battle in 2 minutes?

That's an extreme example. Wattson's funhouse antics were what resulted in him staring down an overcharged Pikachu in the first place, plus he was quite cocky about the whole matter until Ash cut him down. Not to say that Ash wasn't overdue to actually obliterate an opponent, but Wattson brought it on himself that time. It was pretty enjoyable, actually.

I didn't say that Ash should have nothing but 3-0 and 4-0 victories, *but* these gym battles should be considerably easier for him to handle nowadays. Think 3-1s, 4-2s, and 5-3s rather than the "that-was-way-too-close-for-comfort" affairs that have been his standard fare for years now. In other words, not only should Ash's pokemon become stronger as the adventure progressess, but Ash himself as well.

Effortlessly pwning trainers makes you a Gary Stu, I don't care how strong you are.

You must be an employee at Beckett, because you remind me of the guy who writes the episode reviews for their Pokemon magazine.

Does Brawly bring a bell? He controlled the pace of that fight from the very first minute. How about Drew(blew out May multiple times and Ash once), Grace(handed Drew his head in Fallarbor), Wattson(remember the rematch?), and the Phantom(his Dusclops handily tore Drew's Roselia a new one and would have eventually have done the same to Ash's Pikachu had a certain mother not shown up)?

Then there's E4 Drake and his domination of Ash right after the latter's DEM win at Mossdeep. And let us not forget about Frontier Brains Anabel and Brandon, both of whom pulverized Ash on his first try against each of them(and I'm not counting the bout during which Ash was possessed, either).

Even more recently, we've had easy wins courtesy of Gary(was Electivire even fazed at any point of that fight with Pikachu?), Roark(3-1 demolition), Gardenia(her Turtwig had a field day with Staravia and Ash's Turtwig), Cynthia(4-0 sweep of Shinji, and likely would have been 6-0 had he not thrown in the towel after Torterra went crashing down), and finally there's Shinji's single-handed slaughter of Brock/Holly at Hearthome followed by his sweep of Maylene---which I mentioned in my previous post---not too long ago. And that's only the post-Johto examples of those who are known to be able to "effortlessly pwn trainers" without breaking a sweat, let alone a DEM.

By your definition, there must be an awful lot of Gary-Stus in Pokemon. Heaven forbid that Ash should ever become capable enough to decisively defeat any of these guys in one go-round(because that's all he's *going* to get at the Sinnoh League), lest he join their ranks. Oh, wait, I forgot...Ash *is* trying to become as strong as the Elite Four, a group of trainers who, gasp, are not only far more proficient than any typical Gym Leader, but also more proficient than the hundreds of battlers who defeat enough of those same GLs to qualify for the Pokemon League and aim for a shot at the top. And the only way for Ash to accomplish this goal is to become far *better* than the *average* pokemon trainer(those who can get to the League but not beyond), which is where Ash has been for the better part of his career. In short, Ash can no longer afford to simply get by against his usual opponents; he's going to have to reach the point where he's able to find a way to take control early on in his gym battles and *maintain* it, even when things seem to---or actually do---take a turn for the worse later on. That's a mark (perhaps even *the* mark) of an elite trainer, the star that Ash is currently shooting for. For him to settle for any less would be an insult to all his efforts---and his pokemon---thus far.

Yeah, slaughters are only fun in real life, or with Garchomp.

Or with Hariyama. Or Roselia. Or Medicham. Or Manectric. Or Dusclops. Or Shelgon/Altaria. Or Alakazam/Metagross. Or Roark's Onix(granted, Cranidos set the table for the stony anaconda, but still). Or Gardenia's Turtwig(mentioned two paragraphs ago). Or Torterra(consecutive OHKOs on Brock's Croagunk and Holly's Farfetch'd at the Hearthome tag battle competition). Or for that matter, Magmar and Honckrow of Shinji's Maylene Massacre fame. Take your pick, Duckgon, because you've missed my point almost entirely. The fact is that even when taking into consideration that Ash is using an nearly-all new roster, he has backslid rather badly from his Hoenn/Kanto II prime. That's not a good sign for someone who's supposed to be aiming to eventually challenge *and* conquer the Sinnoh League, to say nothing of its Elite Four and Champion.

Man I can't wait for Wake to make his debut. He will probably be the most interesting of all the gym leaders so far. And Floatzel <3

That's an extreme example. Wattson's funhouse antics were what resulted in him staring down an overcharged Pikachu in the first place, plus he was quite cocky about the whole matter until Ash cut him down. Not to say that Ash wasn't overdue to actually obliterate an opponent, but Wattson brought it on himself that time. It was pretty enjoyable, actually.

Yeah, I did like the match because it kind of shows Pikachu should actually be at a high enough level to take down anyone now, but Pika always gets reset.

I didn't say that Ash should have nothing but 3-0 and 4-0 victories, *but* these gym battles should be considerably easier for him to handle nowadays. Think 3-1s, 4-2s, and 5-3s rather than the "that-was-way-too-close-for-comfort" affairs that have been his standard fare for years now. In other words, not only should Ash's pokemon become stronger as the adventure progressess, but Ash himself as well.

Yeah, but then we would only have one or two Pokemon showcased per Gym. Yeah we have 8 gyms, but the gap between them takes forever, and seeing at least half of them in a gym battle keeps them fresh and interesting. Unlike the games, where sometimes you can breeze through a gym with one Pokemon, the anime and Ash don't have that luxuray. Each new generation of kids is supposed to see Ash struggle with his gym battles.

You must be an employee at Beckett, because you remind me of the guy who writes the episode reviews for their Pokemon magazine.

I hate that guy, that's not me, and Beckett sucks ass.

Does Brawly bring a bell? He controlled the pace of that fight from the very first minute. How about Drew(blew out May multiple times and Ash once), Grace(handed Drew his head in Fallarbor), Wattson(remember the rematch?), and the Phantom(his Dusclops handily tore Drew's Roselia a new one and would have eventually have done the same to Ash's Pikachu had a certain mother not shown up)?

Then there's E4 Drake and his domination of Ash right after the latter's DEM win at Mossdeep. And let us not forget about Frontier Brains Anabel and Brandon, both of whom pulverized Ash on his first try against each of them(and I'm not counting the bout during which Ash was possessed, either).

Even more recently, we've had easy wins courtesy of Gary(was Electivire even fazed at any point of that fight with Pikachu?), Roark(3-1 demolition), Gardenia(her Turtwig had a field day with Staravia and Ash's Turtwig), Cynthia(4-0 sweep of Shinji, and likely would have been 6-0 had he not thrown in the towel after Torterra went crashing down), and finally there's Shinji's single-handed slaughter of Brock/Holly at Hearthome followed by his sweep of Maylene---which I mentioned in my previous post---not too long ago. And that's only the post-Johto examples of those who are known to be able to "effortlessly pwn trainers" without breaking a sweat, let alone a DEM.

By your definition, there must be an awful lot of Gary-Stus in Pokemon. Heaven forbid that Ash should ever become capable enough to decisively defeat any of these guys in one go-round(because that's all he's *going* to get at the Sinnoh League), lest he join their ranks. Oh, wait, I forgot...Ash *is* trying to become as strong as the Elite Four, a group of trainers who, gasp, are not only far more proficient than any typical Gym Leader, but also more proficient than the hundreds of battlers who defeat enough of those same GLs to qualify for the Pokemon League and aim for a shot at the top. And the only way for Ash to accomplish this goal is to become far *better* than the *average* pokemon trainer(those who can get to the League but not beyond), which is where Ash has been for the better part of his career. In short, Ash can no longer afford to simply get by against his usual opponents; he's going to have to reach the point where he's able to find a way to take control early on in his gym battles and *maintain* it, even when things seem to---or actually do---take a turn for the worse later on. That's a mark (perhaps even *the* mark) of an elite trainer, the star that Ash is currently shooting for. For him to settle for any less would be an insult to all his efforts---and his pokemon---thus far.

Um, the people that swept those matches aren't the main character. It's boring to have the main character win effortlessly ALL THE TIME. Side characters can do it because it's used to make them look invincible so that their "good" rival can win, making them look better. Pokemon's target audience isn't supposed to look up to those characters, just Ash.

It would be like Goku beating everyone in DBZ without breaking a sweat, the GLs, Rivals, and E4 trainers show you that there is always someone stronger out there, no matter how strong you get.

Or with Hariyama. Or Roselia. Or Medicham. Or Manectric. Or Dusclops. Or Shelgon/Altaria. Or Alakazam/Metagross. Or Roark's Onix(granted, Cranidos set the table for the stony anaconda, but still). Or Gardenia's Turtwig(mentioned two paragraphs ago). Or Torterra(consecutive OHKOs on Brock's Croagunk and Holly's Farfetch'd at the Hearthome tag battle competition). Or for that matter, Magmar and Honckrow of Shinji's Maylene Massacre fame. Take your pick, Duckgon, because you've missed my point almost entirely. The fact is that even when taking into consideration that Ash is using an nearly-all new roster, he has backslid rather badly from his Hoenn/Kanto II prime. That's not a good sign for someone who's supposed to be aiming to eventually challenge *and* conquer the Sinnoh League, to say nothing of its Elite Four and Champion.

Yeah, same thing from above. Not main character=Not having to struggle, and being able to sweep. Ash will never be that good, as long as he's a Shounen hero.

Good to hear word about Crasher Wake. Which means we'll be nearing the Pastoria City arc, and a gym battle in no time. And evolution theories.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom