• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast to be Japan's fifth BW TCG expansion: Dragon type to be fea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast to be Japan's fifth BW TCG expansion: Dragon type to be featured; ...

Japan's fifth BW era TCG expansion has been announced. The set will be split into two subsets, named Dragon Blade and Dragon Blast, that as the names suggest will feature the new Dragon TCG type. The set will release Mar. 16, and will be accompanied by two half decks. The two half decks feature Hydreigon and Garchomp. Additionally, two new Battle Strength Decks will be released in the month of April.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast to be Japan's fifth BW TCG expansion: Dragon type to be

All these years and they're introducing Dragon type cards?

Might as well make all the types separate. I always thought it was weird that the Ghost type cards were Psychic, Ground was Fighting, and Ice was Water.

Re: Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast to be Japan's fifth BW TCG expansion: Dragon type to be

I'm happy EXes are back. Still waiting for my Japanese Full Art Mewtwo EX. Bring out the Toploaders.

So Dragon Collection wasn't enough for them to hype Dragon-types?

it is strange, though I can figure why they used Dragon instead of making Ice or Bug or Poison... because Dragon is colourless... which leads to giving the pokemon a different secondary energy on most cards... making it hard to construct a deck with mainly dragon based pokemon.

So Dragon Collection wasn't enough for them to hype Dragon-types?

Well, considering that the TCG has been around since 1996 in Japan, it kind of makes sense that they make another Dragon-focused set. It would be odd to have only a tiny fraction of the cards be Dragon-type, and then thousands upon thousands of all the other types. Even Darkness and Metal started off with more Pokemon than Dragons are.

Otherwise....Garchomp YES

Last edited:

Oooo.... I hope they have a Hydreigon-themed deck in the US soon! I'd love to have a Dark-Dragon type deck!

All these years and they're introducing Dragon type cards?

Might as well make all the types separate. I always thought it was weird that the Ghost type cards were Psychic, Ground was Fighting, and Ice was Water.

Yeah. I've always thought it was weird too, especially when they started putting the Poison type with the Psychic type. But if they did make a type for every type, it might be harder to make a deck (with soooooo many choices), although, they could increase the number of cards in a deck or create a separate deck for other cards.

The thing is, a good TCG is not too complicated--the more complicated it is, the less enjoyable, the less easy it is to get into it, the less easy to make decks, etc. So while types have always been "meshed" together since the beginning (like Water and Ice just being "Water" and Psychic, Poison, and Ghost just being "Psychic") in order to make the TCG simpler and therefore easier to work with (and, as most game reviewers would probably agree, "better" overall), the fact that Dragon and Normal are incredibly different in-game, it makes sense that dragons be given their own type in the TCG, instead of continuing to put them with Colorless.

Ice was Water.
Really? Even considering what makes ice, or the large association between water and ice types for many generations?

Really? Even considering what makes ice, or the large association between water and ice types for many generations?

The only problem with this is that it makes fire types weak to ice types (who count as water).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom