• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Dragonite vs Salamence

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
So, I was running through the list of Pokemon in my head and I realized how many "rivalries" there are in this franchise.

Blaziken vs Infernape, Venusaur vs Torterra, Arcanine vs Ninetales, Vileplume vs Victreebel, Gyarados vs Milotic, Heracross vs Pinsir, the list goes on... So I thought I'd post threads for these vs matchups (if this is not allowed for some reason, feel free to take them down.)

What better way to start than with an age old favorite?

On one corner, whe have the Kanto Dragon, the original pseudo-legendary as well as the original Dragon type. He's the bulkier of the two, Dragonite:

dragonite.png

On the other, there's Hoenn's answer to Dragonite, it ruled the competitive metagame in the last generation and continues to be a potent threat today. He's the faster one of the two: Salamence

salamence.png

Which one of these powerful dragons do you prefer?

Who is more useful?

Who would win in a battle between the two?

OTHER VS THREADS:

Venusaur vs Torterra

Meganium vs Sceptile

Charizard vs Typhlosion

Blaziken vs Infernape

Blastoise vs Swampert

Feraligatr vs Empoleon

Last edited:
Shouldn't Garchomp be on this list? Anyway, out of the 2 you choose I would have to go with Salamence.

There are more similarities between Dragonite and Salamence then there are with the two and Garchomp.

Basically, Salamence can do everything Dragonite can do but much better.

It has to be Dragonite, Salamence seems overtly overpowered to me, an unrealistic Pokémon as such. Where as Dragonite is lovable and seemingly powerful without it's 'Pocket Monster' design being unnecessarily exuberant.

In a battle I believe Salemance would suffice to beat Dragonite, for the reasons I outlined earlier in this posting. It is my personal belief though that having Dragonite in my team would be, the right decision.

So to summarise Dragonite > Salamence.

Last edited:
Which one of these powerful dragons do you prefer?
I'm a sucker for the first generation 90% of the time, and I do love Dragonite. It gets my vote there.

Who is more useful?
In the game, Dragonite can make an amazing HM slave. Both have great stats and are pretty powerful with the plethora of moves they can learn, both for PVP and in-game play.

Dragonite's uses slightly outweigh Salamence's simply because it can be a more useful HM slave, though why anyone would damn this powerhouse of a Pokemon to such a life is beyond me.

Point for Dragonite.

Who would win in a battle between the two?
Meta-game, they're pretty evenly matched.

Put it into anime physics, Dragonite has a huge advantage in speed, especially in the aerial combat. Salamence seems much more clunky, though capable of doing a bit more damage if he lands a hit.

Dragonite gets a point here, with no help from bias. *cough*

All in all, they're pretty evenly matched in most aspects.

Dragonite and Salamence have more in common with each other than Garchomp does with either of them (same typing, similar movepools, etc) so that make these two more "rivals", if you will.

Yeah, I just noticed you were talking about rivalries.

Salamence, all the way. It's one of my favourite pokemon. In a fight I would say maybe Salamence since it probably has higher speed. In a Dragon Vs Dragon fight, the first one to land a proper hit wins.

Salamence all the way. Salamence almost always go's first, and one Draco Meteor or Outrage would kill the Dragonite.

Salamence all the way. Salamence almost always go's first, and one Draco Meteor or Outrage would kill the Dragonite.

Well, unless it's holding a haban berry (or whatever the Dragon-weakening berry is called). Then Dragonite can DD and outspeed Salamence. Ice Punch and Outrage would easily net the kill (even if Salamence is holding a berry of it's own, I think. It's just too frail.)

Now, if Salamence DD's first, Dragonite's screwed (after factoring in Intimidate, an unboosted Outrage/Ice Punch wouldn't KO if Salamence has a berry... and maybe even if it doesn't.)

Really, they're pretty evenly matched

Salamence. It's offensively better than Dragonite. And I'm an offensive sort of trainer.

I'm a defensive type of guy, and D-nite's special walling capabilities with Heal Bell (from XD), along with its attacking prowess give it the edge for me. Though, mence kicks ass, I swear. Mixmence is equal to 2 free kos every battle. Also, shouldn't Hariyama and Medicham; and Fearow pidgeot; and flygon Garchomp all be on the list.

Also, shouldn't Hariyama and Medicham; and Fearow pidgeot; and flygon Garchomp all be on the list.

Oh there's a ton of matchups, that's why I said the list went on. Off the top of my head, I can think of Electivire and Magmortar, Meganium and Tropius, Alakazam and Gardevoir or Gardevoir and Gallade, Heracross and Scizor and Quagsire and Gastrodon. And that's not even mentioning the legendary Pokemon (Ho-Oh/Lugia, Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia, etc). I plan to open a new "rivalry" thread every Saturday or so.

Last edited:
Practically speaking, the most common counter for both dragons on any team is a water type pokemon with Ice Beam/Ice Punch on a Fighting type/Metagross/Evire. So thats a given OHKO whether it be Dragonite or Salamence.
However due to its greater Attack and much greater Speed Salamence has a far better chance surviving the Ice Punch(ie, it has a greater chance of OHKO'ing the other pokemon) or at least causing worthwile damage on it.

Well that sums it all up for ya.

Which one of these powerful dragons do you prefer? Salamance

Who is more useful? Dragonite

Who would win in a battle between the two? Salimance

I still vote Dragonite. Slaamance is over-rated, and Dragonite is cute

Well dragonite reminds me of Dragon Tales, and it's Dragon/Flying type means it's screwed against Ice Beam.

What's Salamance's type other than Dragon? I don't even know.

Both are really good Pokemon, and Dragonite hardly get's picked because it loses in the speed contest but I'll always stick with Dragonite as my favorite, I just think he is more useful than Salamence.

inb4ragerebuttal

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom