• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Dragonite vs Salamence

Definitely Dragonite.
He has the appeal of being both badass and cute...his design is unique. Not many Pokemon can boast that.
If I want a ferocious dragon, I would prefer Hydreigon or Garchomp to Salamence.

Dragonite also is more useful to my style of battling, and he's got good HP and attack power. His DW ability is a gold mine, too.

In the anime and manga, Dragonite is a lot more interesting too. It can fly around the world quickly, it saves sailors, it's intelligent and faithful, etc. Overall it's just a much more interesting Pokemon. Plus Dragonair and Dratini are adorable.

They're both on par, but I guess whoever strikes first will win and thus, Salamence gets my vote.

Not if one of them can take the hit and the other can't. Despite their similar typing, Dragonite and Salamence play completely differently.

Imagine this scenario:

Salamence uses Outrage

Dragonite survives due to Multiscale and uses Dragon Dance, thus negating Mence's intimidate.

New turn, Dragonite is now faster, it uses Roost.

Repeat the process until Salamence confuses itself.

DNite takes the momentum to DDance one more time, then fire off an Outrage of it's own. With the type advantage, the speed advantage and the Attack boost from DDance, Mence goes down.

Another scenario:

Salamence uses Draco Meteor

Dragonite survives due to Multiscale and fires off it's own Draco Meteor.

Mence should be KO'd due to its low defenses, but let's pretend it survives.

Next turn:

Dragonite uses Extremespeed, Mence is down.

Dragonite won both cases. In fact, due to Multiscale's sheer awesomeness, Dragonite will defeat Salamence most of the time in this generation. Previous generations are a different story though.

Last edited:
Dragonite of course. It has natural bulk over Salamence and Multiscale as it's DW ability, so it can take a hit from Salamence and then take it down with one hit simple.

Both have good features but I prefer Dragonite. Its moveset is better, I know Slamance can learn it too, but my favourite is outrage. Its not a good move in terms of the side effects but I still like it.

Dragonite is far more useful in battle and beats Salamence easily with Multiscale. But I've always liked Salamence more.

Dragonite has a much better design than Salamence imo. It's gentle and cute appearance is not what you'd expect from a powerful dragon, which makes it a lot more unique than Salamence.
To me Salamence is just your standard "RAWR I'm a fierce dragon!" stereotype, with some hollow Devilman reference thrown in. Pretty bland and uninteresting to be honest.

Dragonite, basically because Salamence just seemed like a very cookie-cutter Dragon-type to me.

Dragonite at least had that cute, cartoonish look. Also, when it was created in Gen 1, there weren't that many Dragon types.

And with my vote for Dragonite, it's 114 for both! Ooh....:p
i really like Salamence as well tho

It might just be nostalgia, but dragonite has always been my favorite dragon type. Also, dragonite once swept my friend's entire team.

Back when I played Gen 3 (and didn't regularly watch anime), I went with Salamence.
In Gen 5, though, I am going with Dragonite, hands-on. Iris has it, it has Multiscale, and I have grown to like its design more than Salamence's.

Salamence. I've tried several times, but I can't seem to make Dragonite work in a team for me. Maybe it's my playstyle.

Anyway, I also greatly prefer Salamence's appearance over Dragonite's.

Dragonite:dragon claw/ice punch, endure Salamance's attack with Multiscale, extreemspeed, KO.

I'd have to say Salamence. Even though I like Dragonite's moveset better, Salamence's design and Pokemon Sprites are why I like it better. I've used it more in-game for battles, especially with the Fang attacks and Zen Headbutt that it can use.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom