• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragons that are not dragons?

Ad again the attempt at Balence was absutly pointless in the long run as balence didn't exist... I guess they wasted their time on maing sure Gyarados wasn't overpowered (and he wouldn't be honestly Mewtwo and Alakazam would probibly still have raped him) they forgot to balece everything else... an arguent of balece as I said several times is pointless as there was no balence because Psychics were game-breakers... on purpose or not stop using the he would've been overpowered as Psychics were way more broken then Water/Dragon Gyarados would ever be...

And Psychic types were game breakers by accident because of the glitch causing ghost moves to be unaffected to them.

And damn two more Dragons wouldn;'t make the Dragon type any less rare... it would still be the 2nd rarest type eitrher way

Second? Then who's #1?

I've always thought that Charizard and Gyarados should be part Dragon type. But, I only think that they need to have them if (and that's a big if) they ever introduce triple types. Charizard would be Fire/Flying/Dragon, Gyarados would be Water/Flying/Dragon, and, while I'm at it, throw in Flygon (Dragon/Ground/Flying) and Hydreigon (Dragon/Dark/Flying) and give them better abilities. I'm sure that there are others that deserve other types, but where I'm going is a bit off topic, so I'll shut up now...

The point I was making is that your rarity argument is flawed, not that Gyarados should be a Dragon type. Besides, you're contradicting yourself:

Must we go over this? Rarity does not determine their location; it is determined by how many there are in each gen. Excluding legendaries, Kanto had only one line, Johto had one, Hoenn had three, Sinnoh had one, and Unova had three. So far, three lines is the limit of dragon types for each gen.

Dragon types are suppose to be rare and hard to find, not common and easy to get, so you can't randomly give other Pokemon dragon typings.

Which one is it, they have to be hard to find or there has to be not many in the generation? You have to pick one and stick to it. If you pick "hard to find", explain the ones that were listed as easy. If you pick "less lines in the generation", explain how having 2 in Gen I would be too many lines. Either way that argument isn't really working out.

Second? Then who's #1?

There are 27 Ghost-types and 29 Dragon-types.

Then Alteria definitly shouldn't be Dragon seeing how common Swablu is adding in that it doesn't look draconic at all... and only Dratini and Deino are actually hard to get... You can get Axew and Gible pretty early in-game and they aren't really hard to find either... Tripinch is very easy to find in the desert yet Flygon is a Dragon... and once you get Waterfall Bagon is easy to find...

So Dragon's aren't exactly 'rare' per se as most are rather common in certian area's the only ones that would count as rare are as I said Dratini and Deino as both are annoying rare (damn you Safari Zone) to find...

Dispute. Just because you know where to find it DOES not make it easy to find. It's still a pain in the butt to catch a bagon, because of it's low appearance rate.

The point I was making is that your rarity argument is flawed, not that Gyarados should be a Dragon type. Besides, you're contradicting yourself:

Must we go over this? Rarity does not determine their location; it is determined by how many there are in each gen. Excluding legendaries, Kanto had only one line, Johto had one, Hoenn had three, Sinnoh had one, and Unova had three. So far, three lines is the limit of dragon types for each gen.

Dragon types are suppose to be rare and hard to find, not common and easy to get, so you can't randomly give other Pokemon dragon typings.

Which one is it, they have to be hard to find or there has to be not many in the generation? You have to pick one and stick to it. If you pick "hard to find", explain the ones that were listed as easy. If you pick "less lines in the generation", explain how having 2 in Gen I would be too many lines. Either way that argument isn't really working out.

It's both. They're suppose to be rare because they're suppose to be the most powerful Pokemon in the game, hence why there's few in numbers for each gen. It's also hard to find because you are required to use an HM to reach their location or a certain item to obtain them. Bagon, for example, will only be obtainable until you get Waterfall, and Kingdra's only obtainable until you have a Dragon Scale, a rare item that isn't so easy to get, to evolve your Seadra via trading.

And I feel giving Yanmega a Dragon-typing would be silly. It just seems too, well, basic to be given the typing like that. It belongs as a Bug/Flying-type. A Pokemon I do feel needs a Dragon-typing though, would be Aggron. It looks Dragon-y, and acts Dragon-y. Remove it's Rock-type, and make it Steel/Dragon.
But Aggron's body is covered by rock armor. The Steel/Rock typing makes sense.

It's both. They're suppose to be rare because they're suppose to be the most powerful Pokemon in the game, hence why there's few in numbers for each gen. It's also hard to find because you are required to use an HM to reach their location or a certain item to obtain them. Bagon, for example, will only be obtainable until you get Waterfall, and Kingdra's only obtainable until you have a Dragon Scale, a rare item that isn't so easy to get, to evolve your Seadra via trading.

Again Swablu and Tripinch they are common and evolve into Dragons... and so Gen I would have 4 Dragons you make it sound like adding 2 extra would make them less rare... hell there are only 20 non-legendary Dragons... so technically even if Gyarados and Milotic would be Dragons they still would be the rarest type not counting legends at 22...

Again Swablu and Tripinch they are common and evolve into Dragons... and so Gen I would have 4 Dragons you make it sound like adding 2 extra would make them less rare... hell there are only 20 non-legendary Dragons... so technically even if Gyarados and Milotic would be Dragons they still would be the rarest type not counting legends at 22...

Technically, there's only one dragon in Gen I because I'm counting families. For Swablu and Trapinch's case, Trapinch is only obtainable until you receive those goggles later on in the game, and Swablu is only available in two routes, so it barely made it as being rare.

Technically, there's only one dragon in Gen I because I'm counting families. For Swablu and Trapinch's case, Trapinch is only obtainable until you receive those goggles later on in the game, and Swablu is only available in two routes, so it barely made it as being rare.

But they aren't rare at all in those routes you can get Swablu before the 4th gym hell you have to go to the route where Swablu is before the 4th gym and you can get Trapich righ after you get the heat badge so thats pretty early in-game barly even half-way

But they aren't rare at all in those routes you can get Swablu before the 4th gym hell you have to go to the route where Swablu is before the 4th gym and you can get Trapich righ after you get the heat badge so thats pretty early in-game barly even half-way

It barely counts for Trapinch as you said because dragon types wouldn't become available until you're halfway through the game. Also, Swablu's a normal/flying type. It's two only location and the hard work to evolving into Altaria by lvl 35 shows its evolved form's rarity.

It barely counts for Trapinch as you said because dragon types wouldn't become available until you're halfway through the game. Also, Swablu's a normal/flying type. It's two only location and the hard work to evolving into Altaria by lvl 35 shows its evolved form's rarity.

bullshit you can get Swablu at level 25 in Route 115 so it can't be to hard to raise it 10 levels... and if how hard it is to raise a pokemon is counted you just made Gyarados very rare as Magikarp is extremly hard to raise and you can get Alteria and Flyon before you even get the Super-Rod in Hoenn plus Gyarados is only avable in Sootopolis... so yeah Alteria and Flygon are definitly easier to get

bullshit you can get Swablu at level 25 in Route 115 so it can't be to hard to raise it 10 levels... and if how hard it is to raise a pokemon is counted you just made Gyarados very rare as Magikarp is extremly hard to raise and you can get Alteria and Flyon before you even get the Super-Rod in Hoenn plus Gyarados is only avable in Sootopolis... so yeah Alteria and Flygon are definitly easier to get

Does level grinding come in mind to determine the difficulty of raising it to lvl 35? Yeah, I thought so.

Does level grinding come in mind to determine the difficulty of raising it to lvl 35? Yeah, I thought so.

Does level grinding detemrine the difficulty of raising a Magikarp to level 20? yeah still harder to raise a Magikarp then it is for you to raise a Swablu not only do you habe to level-grind it it's pathetic as well.... so your argument is pathetic

Does level grinding detemrine the difficulty of raising a Magikarp to level 20? yeah still harder to raise a Magikarp then it is for you to raise a Swablu not only do you habe to level-grind it it's pathetic as well.... so your argument is pathetic

But the difficulty of level grinding for your dragon to evolve gives you a vibe that you'll be highly rewarded once it's in its final form. I'm not gonna repeat myself regarding Magikarp and Gyarados.

But the difficulty of level grinding for your dragon to evolve gives you a vibe that you'll be highly rewarded once it's in its final form. I'm not gonna repeat myself regarding Magikarp and Gyarados.

I'm sorry but it's way more satisfying for me to raise a Makicarp then it is to raise a Swablu since Swablu is easy to raise seriously Magikarp is one of the worst Pokemon ever. The whole point of Magikarp evolving into Gyarados is to reward you for having the patience to raise one to get Gyarados...

Maybe if Magicarp evolved at level 30 or 40 then it being so easy to capture early and transforming into a Water/Dragon would be justified. Theres also the issue that Gyarados is very easy to find with a super rod. Even with a super rod Dratini/Dragonair in comparison are a pain to find.

So basically, they would of had to redo the entire Magicarp/Gyarados thing in terms of availability. Make Magicarp evolve a little later, and make Gyarados itself MUCH harder to locate. I still agree that Gyarados should be Water/Dragon, but its too easy to obtain and that would need to be dealt with.

Feebas is cool though. Very hard to find and Milotic itself requires work to achieve just like the other dragons.

Maybe if Magicarp evolved at level 30 or 40 then it being so easy to capture early and transforming into a Water/Dragon would be justified. Theres also the issue that Gyarados is very easy to find with a super rod. Even with a super rod Dratini/Dragonair in comparison are a pain to find.

So basically, they would of had to redo the entire Magicarp/Gyarados thing in terms of availability. Make Magicarp evolve a little later, and make Gyarados itself MUCH harder to locate. I still agree that Gyarados should be Water/Dragon, but its too easy to obtain and that would need to be dealt with.

Feebas is cool though. Very hard to find and Milotic itself requires work to achieve just like the other dragons.

Gyarados is hard to find though... you can't catch a wild Gyarados until after the E4 in Sinnoh and not until you reach Sootopolis in R/S/E and Magikarp sucks being stuck with it till level 30-40 is ridiculous it's hard enough to raise that piece of shit to level 20 as it is...

Gyarados is hard to find though... you can't catch a wild Gyarados until after the E4 in Sinnoh and not until you reach Sootopolis in R/S/E and Magikarp sucks being stuck with it till level 30-40 is ridiculous it's hard enough to raise that piece of shit to level 20 as it is...

You want Gyarados to have a dragon typing after all, which means Magikarp's level to evolve would have to be raised first.

You do realize that you can find high level Magikarps, right, like beyond level 20? After that, it only takes one level, which isn't tough at all. In all honesty, with that aside, I found raising a Swablu and Trapinch more of a pain than a mere Magikarp because of them evolving at higher levels. Btw, do you seriously think getting a Magikarp to level 20 is tougher than getting a Trapinch to level 45?

I also liked the concept of Altaria, not that it's dragon typing was a necessity imo. Dragons don't have to be all "almighty badass" looking to be great, though; I think Altaria is fine.

I think that Tyranitar resembles a Dragon type quite a lot, as it has serpent like features and can learn both Outrage and Dragon Dance. I think it would have made an excellent Dragon/Rock type, but that's not to say that I don't like it's current type because it does make a great Dark type as well.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom