• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragons that are not dragons?

It would be interesting if they added something like this (it would absolutely never happen because it's so out there though):

Magikarp still evolves into Gyarados at level 20 as normal, with the Water/Flying typing. But, if you don't allow Magikarp to evolve and instead level him to ~40-45 as a Magikarp, he then evolves into a Gyarados with a Water/Dragon typing, but the rest would remain the same.

I'd prefer it if every slightly reptilian Pokemon didn't get the Dragon typing slapped on it, like people are always suggesting. I dislike how we have a pretentious all powerful typing like that in the first place, so it's better that they remain rare or difficult to access.

It would be interesting if they added something like this (it would absolutely never happen because it's so out there though):

Magikarp still evolves into Gyarados at level 20 as normal, with the Water/Flying typing. But, if you don't allow Magikarp to evolve and instead level him to ~40-45 as a Magikarp, he then evolves into a Gyarados with a Water/Dragon typing, but the rest would remain the same.

Thats a pretty good idea. It basically gives you a choice to have a stronger Pokemon now or later on if your patient. Its also justified because I can see reasons why people would still want the Water/Flying version over the Water/Dragon, like avoiding EQ for example in single/double/triple battles or simple type preferences.

Though I'd imagine the Dragon variant to be overall superior.

Aside from Milotic, and those who would want a Contrary Draco Meteor (Serperior) are there any other candidates? I don't think that Sceptile nor Aerodactyl qualify. They both are really based on Dinosaurs, just like Cranidos/Shelgon/Groudon. While similar to Dragons they are really in a different category. The same can be said for Tyrannitar, who is based on what his name implies.

Like Winterdaze said, not every single reptile should qualify to be a dragon.

There's obviously Gyarados, and Charizard has dragon-like features.

But they are NOT dragon-types.

Though, do you think they should? Personally, I think Charizard should be Fire/Dragon and have the ability Levitate. Doesn't that seem better?

No. Dragon on any given Starter would put them miles ahead of any of their counterparts, which wouldn't be fair. Blaze is the default Fire Starter ability and, to the best of my knowledge, Levitate is one of the few abilities that can't be obtained via Dream World on any Pokemon.

Well, they could make the other starters drogon types too (in the next generation maybe. that would be BOSS!)

IAside from Milotic, and those who would want a Contrary Draco Meteor (Serperior) are there any other candidates? I don't think that Sceptile nor Aerodactyl qualify. They both are really based on Dinosaurs, just like Cranidos/Shelgon/Groudon. While similar to Dragons they are really in a different category. The same can be said for Tyrannitar, who is based on what his name implies.

Except Aerodactyl is not a dinosaur but a flying reptile, but the fact still remains that it's not dragon-related.

IAside from Milotic, and those who would want a Contrary Draco Meteor (Serperior) are there any other candidates? I don't think that Sceptile nor Aerodactyl qualify. They both are really based on Dinosaurs, just like Cranidos/Shelgon/Groudon. While similar to Dragons they are really in a different category. The same can be said for Tyrannitar, who is based on what his name implies.

Except Aerodactyl is not a dinosaur but a flying reptile, but the fact still remains that it's not dragon-related.

Really? Dragons ARE flying reptiles. Aerodactyl is a dragon without the 3rd pair of limbs. It has a very dragon-like tail, wings like a dragons, it's head looks like a dragons.

IMO Aero should have been dragon/rock. Dragon is often used in replacement for flying, so it would have made a whole load of sense. Just like Druddigon, except in Gen I.

Really? Dragons ARE flying reptiles. Aerodactyl is a dragon without the 3rd pair of limbs. It has a very dragon-like tail, wings like a dragons, it's head looks like a dragons.

IMO Aero should have been dragon/rock. Dragon is often used in replacement for flying, so it would have made a whole load of sense. Just like Druddigon, except in Gen I.

So by that logic, Kingdra, Garchomp, Haxorus, and Druddigon aren't real dragons because they can't fly. Aerodactyl is suppose to be based off of a pterosaur, who have no relation to neither dinosaurs nor dragons.

So by that logic, Kingdra, Garchomp, Haxorus, and Druddigon aren't real dragons because they can't fly. Aerodactyl is suppose to be based off of a pterosaur, who have no relation to neither dinosaurs nor dragons.

First of all, Garchomp and Druddigon have wings and can fly. My point is, in pokemon, if your dragon-like, you should be a dragon. Kingra is based off a sea dragon/seahorse. Haxourus... I don't know.

Dragons are reptiles. Pterosaurs are reptiles. Aero is a mix of both.

First of all, Garchomp and Druddigon have wings and can fly.

So tell me why they lack fly as an HM?

My point is, in pokemon, if your dragon-like, you should be a dragon. Kingra is based off a sea dragon/seahorse. Haxourus... I don't know.

What about Yanmega? It's called a dragonfly yet is bug/flying. Plus sea dragons/seahorses aren't reptiles yet they obtained a dragon type (same with Druddigon, who is a gargoyle).

But that doesn't mean they're related due to sub-species classes.

First of all, Garchomp and Druddigon have wings and can fly.

So tell me why they lack fly as an HM?

Tell me why Scyther and Scizor can't learn fly. Tell me why Ledian can't. Why can't Yanma? Because a pokemon can fly, doesn't mean it need to be able to learn the move.

My point is, in pokemon, if your dragon-like, you should be a dragon. Kingra is based off a sea dragon/seahorse. Haxourus... I don't know.

What about Yanmega? It's called a dragonfly yet is bug/flying. Plus sea dragons/seahorses aren't reptiles yet they obtained a dragon type (same with Druddigon, who is a gargoyle).

Yet it is more dragon/flying then dragon. In pokemon, a beast counts as a dragon. Sea monsters are beasts, aren't they? that makes Kingdra a dragon type, or at least a candidtate to become one. A lot of gargoyles are very dragon like. The only other types druddigon could be are either rock or flying. and we haver aero for that. Plus, a Pokemon like that would be to colourful to be rock type.

But that doesn't mean they're related due to sub-species classes.

In the pokemon world, sub-species hardly matter. It's either reptile, Mammal, fish, bird, insect or mineral. If not.... tell me how a sea serpent can become a dragon. How can an insect(Scyther) become a piece of metal with wings?(Scizor)

Tell me why Scyther and Scizor can't learn fly. Tell me why Ledian can't. Why can't Yanma? Because a pokemon can fly, doesn't mean it need to be able to learn the move.

Because flying bugs are incapable of going to really high altitudes.

Yet it is more dragon/flying then dragon. In pokemon, a beast counts as a dragon. Sea monsters are beasts, aren't they? that makes Kingdra a dragon type, or at least a candidtate to become one. A lot of gargoyles are very dragon like. The only other types druddigon could be are either rock or flying. and we haver aero for that. Plus, a Pokemon like that would be to colourful to be rock type.

If a beast counts as a dragon, then the beast trio should have secondary dragon types due to having a mixture of canine and feline features. And by this logic, you've contradicted yourself about reptiles being dragon-related when you mentioned about beasts. Too colorful? Please how do you explain Archeops being a rock type when he's "too colorful" by the type's standards.

In the pokemon world, sub-species hardly matter. It's either reptile, Mammal, fish, bird, insect or mineral. If not.... tell me how a sea serpent can become a dragon. How can an insect(Scyther) become a piece of metal with wings?(Scizor)

If sub-species hardly matter, then Pokemon such as Beautifly shouldn't be created.

Because flying bugs are incapable of going to really high altitudes.

If a beast counts as a dragon, then the beast trio should have secondary dragon types due to having a mixture of canine and feline features. And by this logic, you've contradicted yourself about reptiles being dragon-related when you mentioned about beasts. Too colorful? Please how do you explain Archeops being a rock type when he's "too colorful" by the type's standards.

If sub-species hardly matter, then Pokemon such as Beautifly shouldn't be created.

Yet flying pokemon can still fly. Who knows if when we use fly, the pokemon don't fly just above the ground?
And even if bugs can't fly high, please, explain Volcanrola.

AS for the beast trio...they are the reincarnations of a jolteon, a flareon and a vaporeon. Naturally, they couldn't become one. By making beasts dragon type, i mean if no other type can be used as well as dragon, or if dragon suits it best.

Archen is a fossil, so naturally, it had to become part rock.

Yet flying pokemon can still fly. Who knows if when we use fly, the pokemon don't fly just above the ground?

It may have something to do with size and being a moth-like Pokemon rather than being bipedal like Scizor.

AS for the beast trio...they are the reincarnations of a jolteon, a flareon and a vaporeon. Naturally, they couldn't become one. By making beasts dragon type, i mean if no other type can be used as well as dragon, or if dragon suits it best.

Where the heck did you here that from? No one knows who were the Pokemon who perished through that fire. Also, explain the Nosepass family and Gigalith family.

Where the heck did you here that from? No one knows who were the Pokemon who perished through that fire. Also, explain the Nosepass family and Gigalith family.

Gigalith is based on crystal formations. Those are pretty much always colorful. I don't really see why Druddigon shouldn't be a Dragon-type - it's much more about looks than it is anything else, and he certainly fits what you think of when you think 'dragon', other than the ugly-ass color scheme. If you were given a picture of a Druddigon and didn't know Pokemon, you would call it a dragon. That's good enough for me to get a Dragon typing.

I believe that Volcorona got Fly as a HM move due to it being based off an Atlas Moth, the largest moth and one of the largest insects. Due to the fact that all the Bug Pokemon are made bigger in Pokemon that in reality, it is fair to assume that it's large size and large wings in reality equate to a large size and large wings in Pokemon.

It may have something to do with size and being a moth-like Pokemon rather than being bipedal like Scizor.

Something to do with size? You do realize Scizor is higher AND heavier than Volcarona?

Where the heck did you here that from?

It is commonly said that that's what the beast trio once was. And if you don't believe that, they are based on the course the tower went through. Lightining struck it, fire engulfed it, And water save it from complete destruction. I don't exactly see any dragon in there.

Something to do with size? You do realize Scizor is higher AND heavier than Volcarona?

Gengar made a better explanation than I did.

It is commonly said that that's what the beast trio once was. And if you don't believe that, they are based on the course the tower went through. Lightining struck it, fire engulfed it, And water save it from complete destruction. I don't exactly see any dragon in there.

No it isn't, they only said that three unknown Pokemon were perished in a fire and were later given new bodies by Ho-oh.

If it's really unfair for Charizard to be a dragon-type, then in the next gen we could have revised types

Like, having all the final stages acquire Dragon-types.

Charizard being Fire-Dragon - lizard
Serperior being Grass-Dragon - snake
Ferligatre being Water-Dragon - crocodile

All of them have reptile-related themes, so it wouldn't be exactly weird for them to have Dragon as a secondary type, no?

If it's really unfair for Charizard to be a dragon-type, then in the next gen we could have revised types

All of them have reptile-related themes, so it wouldn't be exactly weird for them to have Dragon as a secondary type, no?

I will die happy when we have triple-Dragon starters.

I will die happy when we have triple-Dragon starters.

That way, none of them are over-powered and they're all given equal chances. And as for noting that Serperior has 4x weakness to Ice? We can have Serperior have higher speed and defense than the other two - at least preventing it from being OHKO'd when they're all at the same level. Or introduce a new ability for grass-types that weakens Ice attacks (something similar to Thick Fat, but NOT Thick Fat.)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom