• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragons that are not dragons?

She's a Dragon and she's a big fan of "Part of Your World."

Problem solved.

That way, none of them are over-powered and they're all given equal chances. And as for noting that Serperior has 4x weakness to Ice? We can have Serperior have higher speed and defense than the other two - at least preventing it from being OHKO'd when they're all at the same level. Or introduce a new ability for grass-types that weakens Ice attacks (something similar to Thick Fat, but NOT Thick Fat.)

Dragonite has better defenses than Serperior and still gets OHKO'd by any halfway decent Ice Beam without Multi-Scale. Serpy's gonna need more than it's defenses and it's shitty HP to survive an Ice Beam from...uh...anyone.

Not really... He has higher HP but his Def's are pretty much the same (though his SDef is 5 points higher) And Serperior's HP is definitly not shitty... 75 HP is very solid with his 95/95 defenses... plus Serperior outspeeds every Ice Type and I doubt many Ice Types can handle a Contrary boosted LS as Ice is a terrible defensive type... All Serpior really needs is his hidden ability released and his move-poll expanded (Maybe give him Earth-Power and T-Bolt for coverage and maybe Overheat for the lolz) He's an ideal sweeper with Contary... very solid bulk (75/95/95) Managble Offense stats (75/75) and excellent speed (113) what he's missing is coverage which can be fixed when Grey introduces move-tudors)

75/95/95 bulk can be barely be called solid especially seeing that this thing has 5 weaknesses. It rolls about to just any self-respecting Stab attack and it doesn't exactly have any reliable recovery either. D-nite has roost. serperior's 291/226/226 defenses are undermined further seeing that it takes all forms of passive damage.

I've always seen a resemblance to dragons in Scyther. It's body may be that of a mantis, but its head is basically that of a green Charizard.

If starters got dragon types, then I think that Feraligatr should be a Water and Dragon type :) I mean, it can learn many dragon type moves, and it kinda resembles a dragon, so yeah :)

May or not be relevant, but I've never seen how Altaria was a dragon type. It's just a blue bird cloud.

For the longest time I thought Tyranitar was a dragon because it was a psuedo-legendary.

I'm actually very fond of non-dragon type, dragon pokemon. For some reason, I tend to really like them. In HeartGold, I'm actually in the process of setting a "dragon" team up. The team consists of Charizard, Feraligator, Sceptile, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, and Dragonite. I'm also considering having Tyranitar as an alternate member.

I am very surprised at the lack of mention of Scrafty. Yes, it doesn't look like a Dragon, but it is under the Dragon Egg Group. In fact, it can learn Dragon Dance through breeding! I guess it's a lizard, so the reptilian appearance has some Dragon-like traits. As for whether it should be part-Dragon, it certainly is fine as it is, because its type combination is already a blessing.

Thanks for reading.

I have two points which I have thought out; one pretty long:

First off is that someone brought up the Dragon egg group and that got me thinking about the significance of egg groups and types. I would recommend that the Dragon-type works more along the lines of affinity and that if we are looking at physical traits to classify what is a dragon then the Dragon egg group would be best for that. I believe this does work for the most part with the inclusion of some snake and lizard Pokemon in this group seeming somewhat strange although they can probably be justified with some analyzing.

The main oddity I see in the Dragon egg group is the inclusion of the Arbok line and Seviper. With these based of snakes as well as them having the ability to learn Glare by level I am inclined to believe that Gamefreak has lumped basilisks into this egg group. The only snake who isn't in this egg group is the Serperior line and it can be argued that this line draws more inspiration for a plant which looks like a snake and less from snakes.

Second I've noticed a theme when assigning Pokemon to the Dragon-type. Concerning non-legendary Pokemon I would say that they are all based off real world myths, legends, and stories related to dragons in one way or another:
Dragonite line: various Asian aquatic dragon legends; lucky dragons; Loch Ness monster for reclusive traits and status as pure myth early in the Gen I; the proto-dragon imugi which dwells in caves and water; and fairy dragons
Kingdra line: leafy sea dragons; Charybdis, Greek sea monster known for creating whirlpools; and the Japanese name for seahorses, tatsu-no-otoshigo, means "dragon's child" which probably comes from deep rooted mythology
Flygon line: all I can see is the antlion life cycle though it might be fitting since it's not a true dragon when considering it in terms of egg groups
Altaria line: The Blue Bird of Happiness; and the Peng, Chinese legendary birds of enormous size said to travel 3000 li with one flap of their cloud-like wings and often portrayed as having a dragon's head and whiskers despite it not having the head or whiskers
Salamence line: this one has more of an in-franchise tale concerning Bagon's dream of flight
Garchomp line: this one is actually more of a recent creation for fantasy settings with original myths
Haxorus line: seems to be a straight-up dinosaur inspiration without any myth basis evident :(
Druddigon: based on gargoyles which can be the source of many myths yet to be realized by this fandom
Hydreigon line: Yamato no Orochi; Slavic dragons Zmeys and Zmey Gorynych; and of course hydras

Excuse :-/ :The Gen V dragons are fairly new so there is still a lot of analysis to be done.

Following this pattern it would have been appropriate to have made Gyarados a Dragon-type since it is based of the tale of a carp leaping over a waterfall and becoming a dragon, but making it one would have given it only one weakness. The programmers would have had to alter the dragon category adding some new moves and probably some other dragons which would have disrupted their ideals for Dragon-types at the time which I will expand on further down. Charizard has no basis on any specific dragon myths but more of a generic European dragon structure and the fact that when people think of a creature with fire affinity we think of creatures along the Charizard line. The line being in the Dragon egg group would mean that it's a true physical dragon but the Fire/Flying typing means that it has an affinity for those two types but not for the Dragon type. Milotic is based off sirens, The Ugly Duckling, and Venus de Milo but there are no apparent dragon myth relations with the closest resemblance being generic sea serpent designs.

Also just to expand a bit so far all of the legendary dragon Pokemon have been heavily involved with in-game myths and legends which can be seen somewhat in contrast to non-legendary dragons. During the franchise's youth there was a lot of mention of how Dragon-types are the stuff of legend and at times some are even believed to be nonexistent which is fitting for the legendaries. But since it was Gen I the only dragons they were referring to were the Dragonite line. Considering there spot in the Pokedex line-up they were probably classified as legendaries at first. Gamefreak probably wanted to keep the mythical atmosphere around the dragons they had set up which meant severely limiting the dragons to just the Dragonite line; well, that's at least my justification for Gyarados' typing. This attitude towards the Dragon-type by Gamefreak has only ever lasted through Gen I after which they decided to drop it.

(I've been editing this post a lot to clarify confusion points, to add stuff I think is relevant, and to fix off grammar. :sweatlol: )

Last edited:
Gyarados is a concept of the Asian wingless dragon. And I do admit that features of Charizard make him more dragonish.

Latias and Latios always seemed more like birds than dragons to me. :/

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom