• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragons that are not dragons?

Reaction score
There's obviously Gyarados, and Charizard has dragon-like features.

But they are NOT dragon-types.

Though, do you think they should? Personally, I think Charizard should be Fire/Dragon and have the ability Levitate. Doesn't that seem better?

The reason why the Magnemite family gained a steel type in G/S/C is because it use to be a mono-type back in R/B/Y, which means Gyarados and Charizard can't change their secondary types now because they have to be a mono type first in their debut appearance.

There's obviously Gyarados, and Charizard has dragon-like features.

But they are NOT dragon-types.

Though, do you think they should? Personally, I think Charizard should be Fire/Dragon and have the ability Levitate. Doesn't that seem better?

No. Dragon on any given Starter would put them miles ahead of any of their counterparts, which wouldn't be fair. Blaze is the default Fire Starter ability and, to the best of my knowledge, Levitate is one of the few abilities that can't be obtained via Dream World on any Pokemon.

Gyarados deserves better. But Charizard just can't have that as a technicality.

Making Gyarados Water/Dragon (and bull to all of you haters out there) is what I always thought made the most sense. Please? Thanks.

Making Gyarados Water/Dragon (and bull to all of you haters out there) is what I always thought made the most sense. Please? Thanks.

You do realize that it would make him overpowered in R/B/Y due to no dragon moves that could do any SE damage? If Charizard was ever given a dragon typing, at least he'll be still vulnerable to rock and ground moves.

You do realize that it would make him overpowered in R/B/Y due to no dragon moves that could do any SE damage? If Charizard was ever given a dragon typing, at least he'll be still vulnerable to rock and ground moves.

And... considering that Psychic were toally overpowered in Gen I I really don't see a problem with that... Flying makes absolutly no sense with Gyarados he only learns Bounce and he has never shown any Flying characterists he should;ve just been mono-typed instead

And... considering that Psychic were toally overpowered in Gen I I really don't see a problem with that... Flying makes absolutly no sense with Gyarados he only learns Bounce and he has never shown any Flying characterists he should;ve just been mono-typed instead

The Psychic types were overpowered by accident; there's a difference. Also, it's a tradition for GF to have one Water/Flying type for every gen.

GF needs a break from tradition, there are too many Water and too many Flying types as it is.

I agree, Gyarados should be Water/Dragon. Overpowered in R/B/Y? Yeah, but this isn't the first generation any more. As for Charizard . . . nah. I like it with Blaze, and I'm fine with it being a Fire/Flying type. Charizard's awesome enough without the Dragon-type.

So Charizard and Gyarados have been brought up a billion times... but why isn't Yanmega a Bug/Dragon? It's a prehistoric dragonfly. I know there isn't that association of dragonflies with dragons in Japan, but still. (Unless there IS... then I can just be utterly confused as to why didn't they do it then)

It's supposed to be powerful and menacing, and it certainly wouldn't be far-fetched. The horrible Bug/Flying typing makes it just a bug.

So Charizard and Gyarados have been brought up a billion times... but why isn't Yanmega a Bug/Dragon? It's a prehistoric dragonfly. I know there isn't that association of dragonflies with dragons in Japan, but still. (Unless there IS... then I can just be utterly confused as to why didn't they do it then)

It's supposed to be powerful and menacing, and it certainly wouldn't be far-fetched. The horrible Bug/Flying typing makes it just a bug.

Yeah it should've been part Dragon hell his name even means Dragonfly (Yanma is japanese for it) plus he's way to epic for that shitty typing Bug/flying is okay for Butterfree but not for Yanmega the coolest bug ever

I'm no Japanese expert, but "tonbo" means dragonfly and "ryuu" means dragon so I'm pretty sure they're not related.

On the flip side, I feel like Altaria shouldn't be a dragon. I guess it is one because it's based on something that's partially a dragon, but based on its movesets it would be fine (if boring) as a Normal/Flying.

I feel like Altaria shouldn't be a dragon. I guess it is one because it's based on something that's partially a dragon, but based on its movesets it would be fine (if boring) as a Normal/Flying.

I couldn't agree more with you there. To me, Altaria doesn't deserve a dragon typing if something like Gyarados doesn't get it.

The Psychic types were overpowered by accident; there's a difference. Also, it's a tradition for GF to have one Water/Flying type for every gen.

It wasn't a tradition at the time of Gen 1. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, they didn't have a Water/Flying in Gen IV. So I wouldn't exactly call it a tradition. More like a... recurring theme of sorts.

While Dragons were considered incredibly powerful back in Gen I, there's really not much about them today that makes them all that special. They hit next to nothing super effectively. I really don't think changing either Gyarados or Charizard to Dragon would make them overpowered.

I actually don't think that they will change them, nor do I think they should. Charizard is one of the most beloved Pokemon in the series and Gyarados is a classic "What the..." kind of Pokemon. I think they should stay as they are, but Dragon typing does make a lot more sense.

It wasn't a tradition at the time of Gen 1. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, they didn't have a Water/Flying in Gen IV. So I wouldn't exactly call it a tradition. More like a... recurring theme of sorts.

You forgot Gen IV has Mantyke, so it still counts as a tradition.

Tradition or no tradition isn't the point. Back in R/B/Y, there was no such thing as tradition. It began there. You could argue that we should be retconning one Pokemon every Gen with a single-type that deserves another type as was done with Magnemite and Magneton, if you follow that logic.

Which is exactly why Gyarados should be part Dragon. It's defensiveness against Ice does not change, and same with Grass. The extra Dragon-typing fits its design, as well as its typical nature, and its preferred choice of moveset. Flying is just ridiculous, considering only Bounce is there for it.

And I feel giving Yanmega a Dragon-typing would be silly. It just seems too, well, basic to be given the typing like that. It belongs as a Bug/Flying-type. A Pokemon I do feel needs a Dragon-typing though, would be Aggron. It looks Dragon-y, and acts Dragon-y. Remove it's Rock-type, and make it Steel/Dragon.

Last edited:
Water/Dragon would definitely suit Gyarados. Along with everything else that's been said, STAB Outrage on this thing would kill.

And just because it has "dragon" somewhere (dragonfly, for instance) doesn't mean it should be Dragon-type. Yanmega doesn't look the least bit like a dragon, and the only Dragon-type move it can learn is Twister.

There's also Ampharos, or "Denryuu" in Japanese. Why would you think that should be a dragon? The "ryuu" alone? The name itself is most likely from 電流 denryuu (electric current). It can also learn Outrage by tutors, but so can, like, a million other non-draconic Pokemon: Abomasnow, Aggron, Venusaur, Primeape, and many, many more.

There's also Ampharos, or "Denryuu" in Japanese. Why would you think that should be a dragon? The "ryuu" alone? The name itself is most likely from 電流 denryuu (electric current).

I find this an unfair analogy. Obviously the 'ryuu' in that name doesn't refer to dragons, while the 'dragon' in dragonfly can't really refer to anything else. The equivalent of that would probably be pulling out the word 'laughter' from 'slaughter' and saying it's relevant, not a portmanteau like dragonfly. Do you also claim that bathtubs have nothing to do with baths or tubs just because it's combined into one word?

Tradition or no tradition isn't the point. Back in R/B/Y, there was no such thing as tradition. It began there. You could argue that we should be retconning one Pokemon every Gen with a single-type that deserves another type as was done with Magnemite and Magneton, if you follow that logic.

Hold on, I just thought of something else. It'll only be possible for a Pokemon to change a type on the next gen game after its debut appearance. Magnemite gained a steel typing in G/S/C after R/B/Y and Rotom's forms gained their respective typings to ditch Ghost in BW after Pt/HG/SS. That means Gyarados still lost his chance on gaining a dragon type back in Gen II.

Hold on, I just thought of something else. It'll only be possible for a Pokemon to change a type on the next gen game after its debut appearance. Magnemite gained a steel typing in G/S/C after R/B/Y and Rotom's forms gained their respective typings to ditch Ghost in BW after Pt/HG/SS. That means Gyarados still lost his chance on gaining a dragon type back in Gen II.

I don't think Gyarados ever should've beenFlying tying it took him 4 Gens to get a single Flying attack ... he should've either been pure Water like Milotic or Water/Dragon we know it won't change ut Water/Flying makes no sense...

Oh another Pokemon who should be Dragon typed is Milotic she and Gyarados are already in the Dragon Egg group

I don't think Gyarados ever should've beenFlying tying it took him 4 Gens to get a single Flying attack ... he should've either been pure Water like Milotic or Water/Dragon we know it won't change ut Water/Flying makes no sense...

Oh another Pokemon who should be Dragon typed is Milotic she and Gyarados are already in the Dragon Egg group

Dragon types are suppose to be rare and hard to find, not common and easy to get, so you can't randomly give other Pokemon dragon typings.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom