• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dual Trapping Sun Team - TESTING

~Aeon

bored
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm ~Aeon, and I came up with the idea for this team when I first saw Shadow Tag Gothitelle. I decided to use it to aid Dugtrio in trapping enemies. For goth, that's mainly Politoed. Now, this thread exists for two main reasons. First, I suck at laddering, and thus testing. Second, I could always use help testing the team. After I test it I do plan to make a second thread as a full RMT, but for now, I'll just have sets and stuff.

Ninetales (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ninetails is on this team for what I find obvious reasons. This set is more offensive then some other sets I could be using. The reason for this is the team is more offensively geared, and I usually find a specially defensive Ninetails doesn't work for me anyways. WoW is for burns and stuff, but I usually don't find myself using it, so I might consider switching it for something else. Depends on how testing goes. Energy ball hits water types like Rotom-w, or ground types like... I can't think of a good example that doesn't outspeed for the KO. Hidden power hits ttar, incase duggy fails. Or Chopple Berry Tyranitar, I guess. Usually though, whenever the weather war ends, it usually ends up dying other pokes on the team outclass it at pretty much everything, except making sun.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Dugtrio is one of my two trappers. I usually save it for Tyranitars if I can, where it'll switch in, get hit, then KO with reversal. But, if Tyranitar is absent on the opponents team, It can take out pokemon like Tornadus (2HKOs non scarf), Volcorona, Alakazam (never tried it but I'm sure it can), Blissey and Chancey (With a 1 HP Reversal, so it would have to be later on), Gengar, Heatran, Jirachi, Jolteon, Non Air balloon Lucario, and, of course, Tyranitar. Unfortunently, since Dugtrio is real frail and I can only get the reversal boost once, I usually can't KO more then 1-2 pokes.

Gothitelle (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Gothitelle was the inspiration behind this team. I saw the set and though "I want to use that". It occurred to me that I had always had trouble defeating Politoed whenever I ran sun, so I choose Gothitelle to try and take care of it. After about maybe half an hour of running different calcs, I finally decided that it might work. The set is simple enough. It allows for maximum power at maximum speed. Unfortunently, that speed isn't high. On top of that, it's move pool almost makes me want to cry. But I stuck with it and this is what I came up with. Now, My main STAB move is psyshock, but I find myself using other attacks more often. Why is this? Mainly because I haven't gotten enough testing in. Some of the things that have been KO'ed by Gothitelle so far are Politoeds (which are 2HKO's), Gyarados (it could also decide to be difficult and require a combination of Gothitelle and Dugtrio with a little Donphan). After I get more testing in, that list should get longer. I'm just new to using this pokemon all together. It can also take care of Gastrodon quite cleanly with Energy Ball, and non-sashed Alakazams with Shadow ball.

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone edge
- Stealth Rock

Donphan's my spinner and hazard setter. Again, I choose a offensively oriented set because I felt a defensive set might slow this team down. And, again, I'm bad with defensive Donphans. I used Ice shard over Stone Edge, but I just made the administrative decision that at the moment, Stone Edge seems better. Sometimes I use it as a pivot to other pokes, instead of leaving him in to attack with. Though I do attack with him if the moment calls for it.

Volcarona (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Rest

My first Sun abuser, this is one of my two mosters. As I'm sure you're aware, Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz are a good combination, but it has some annoying holes, like terrak. I never quite know what to do when I see a Terrakion. I usually switch to Donphan at that point. I use Chestorest over Morning sun cause it can also heal Poison and Para.

Sawsbuck (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 248 Atk / 148 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

My other sun abuser, and another strait forward set. Horn Leech provide recovery and a powerful Stab attack. Return is another powerful stab attack that it's stuff hard. Nature Power (Earthquake) is for those steels and fire types that think they're cool enough to challenge the reindeer. Unfortunently, I find the same uncertainty in Terrak and Landorus, and find myself switching to Donphan a bunch.

Well, If you have time, please help with the testing if you so wish. If you do, good luck! It's been a fun team for me to use so far and I hope you like it.

Last edited:
[COLOR=#4b0082 [MENTION=30090]Synthesis[/MENTION] ; I made it as a team anyone could test, and then latter on after testing, I'd make an RMT. I asked Angad if I could do this, and I think he said yes.[/COLOR]

@~Aeon ; Alright, but perhaps add in some description of what each Pokemon do/what you've found problematic, just like a RMT would have. Feel free to mention from your testing what you've found works and what doesn't work, or what you'd like tested more, etc.

Seems kind of wrecked by Rain teams, which are obviously a huge threat. Sure, you can trap and 2HKO all Politoed, but with smart prediction your opponent can get around that. A volt-turn user really allows Goth to shine as a trapper. Also, this team is really wrecked by hazards, even with Donphan.

Because I want to be special and don't like wobb to much.

This seems interesting. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow, see how it works for me. I'll re edit then, with some results.

Wobbufett can trap a variety of things and allow free switch ins for Sawsbuck (Lol at using him) whilst Goth is frail, not particularly great on the offensive side and provides no utility other than trapping. Also, why is he running stupid stuff like HP fighting on Ninetails if he has Dugtrio that traps Tyranitar. Defensive Toed and Hippo can easily be dealt with if he runs momentum tails.

Wobbufett can trap a variety of things and allow free switch ins for Sawsbuck (Lol at using him) whilst Goth is frail, not particularly great on the offensive side and provides no utility other than trapping. Also, why is he running stupid stuff like HP fighting on Ninetails if he has Dugtrio that traps Tyranitar. Defensive Toed and Hippo can easily be dealt with if he runs momentum tails.

Try and remain respectful of other players' choices.

Also, Goth is a much better counter to Toed/Tails/Hippo than Dug or Wobb is. I'd hardly call it frail or slow either since the best they can do is be outsped and 2HKO'd. Not to mention Goth can be tailored to counter specific counters to teams, unlike the other two trappers.

If he ran the right Ninetails set Wob is the best choice as he can then beat any other weather teams. This team clearly hasn't been tested before it was posted because it really shouldn't take a lot to see that Hidden Power Fighting on Ninetails over a Sunny Day set is a terrible choice.

@~Aeon;

Anyways, I tested this team a little and I discovered that it has a few serious problems with other Sun teams. For example, wall Chlorophyll Venusaur simply wreaks havoc, dealing easily with both trappers. Maybe try Ice Shard over Stone Edge on Donphan? That could help deal with things and add a little priority into the mix.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom