• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dual-type Moves?

The Fool on the Hill

A Rambling, Gaming Dude
Reaction score
If there has already been a thread about this, I apologize.

A thought occured to me the other day. We all know that Pokemon can be dual-typed, but what would you think if they introduced dual-type moves? Think about STAB. Think about Super Effective / Not Very Effective.

For example:

Steel Wing would be a Steel/Flying type move.

ThunderPunch would be an Electric/Fighting type move.

Fire Fang would be a Fire/Dark type move.

Avalanche would be an Ice/Rock type move.

Muddy Water would be a Ground/Water type move.

What do think of this idea? Can you think of any more possible dual-type moves? Please discuss.

hmm i see were your coming from sortoff like Volt tackle could be a eletric/ fighting and so on well of the subject a little i figured out a Manaphy with ice moves and whoop a Dragonite XD

duel type moves would be hard to implement i reckon,

for instance

a fire/flying attack hits a grass/water type

fire would be netral damagae against it and flying would be super effective, so what would fire/flying be?

in my opinion this would over complicate and already good battle system (though more moves like curse that change effect dependent on the type using the move would be good)

it would make battle a little bit too complicated actually, and hitting supereffective would be too easy then

Can't see this ever happening because it doesn't really add much other than unnecessary complexity and the battle system with all it's intricacies does not need any more complexity. So while the idea looks nice at first I think it wouldn't work very well in practice and would be rather annoying in the long term especially for the battling community.

Lol an Ice Dragon move to even further Rayquaza's horrible Ice weakness plus super effective dragon hmm Icy breath o_O

I think dual type moves might start confusing alot of the unexperienced players who probably have difficulties figuring out each pokemons name xD

Honestly, I agree that it would make the games way too complicated.

The idea just popped into my head and I had to mention it.

I too doubt it will ever happen. I just created this thread for hypothecical thinking. And for the lolz associated with thinking about it.

Imagine if a Skarmory used Steel Wing on an Abomasnow...

Frankly, I wonder how much damage would a CB'd Sacred Fire (Fire/Flying) from a +6 Atk Lv. 100 Ho-oh do to a -6 Def Lv. 1 Dry Skin Paras. @_@

Lol an Ice Dragon move to even further Rayquaza's horrible Ice weakness plus super effective dragon hmm Icy breath o_O

I think dual type moves might start confusing alot of the unexperienced players who probably have difficulties figuring out each pokemons name xD

XD i know right

I had this idea on my mind for a while, but I thought it be to complicated really. So I thought, why not change a move type depending on the pokemon type using it? Most moves would stay the same, but some would change like:

Horn based attacks, the attack would become the same type as the users type. Same for moves like rollout. Reason being, the moves use either the whole body or body part, and this would vary among pokemo. I always wonderd why megahorn on a nidoking was bug, since its not a bug at all.

If dual type moves where introduced, then the whole physical/special typing would need to be redone nearly completly. And so would damage types so not to make some moves far too powerful, so then STAB would need to be changed too

Frankly, I wonder how much damage would a CB'd Sacred Fire (Fire/Flying) from a +6 Atk Lv. 100 Ho-oh do to a -6 Def Lv. 1 Dry Skin Paras. @_@

Over 9,000!!!!!

Sorry, I lost control of myself for a moment.

But, while it is a nice concept, as is three types, it would add far too much to the equation as far as gaming logic goes. For example, all the "punches" and "kicks" (Fire Punch, Blaze Kick, Thunderpunch, and so on) would be part fighting-type. But, that would mess up a lot of things. It's just... too complicated for the games and would ruin a decently balanced system. However, I think it could be explored in fanfiction, maybe say for Fire Punch, it would deal slightly more damage to normal-types because it is a fighting-type like move and the reverse could apply to those resistant to fighting-types.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom