• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion (older seasons)

PaperSplash

Pika, Pikachu! Kachu!
Reaction score
With the permission of RetroPokeFan, I have created a new, separate thread for speculation, discussion and confirmation of voice actors of characters for the older seasons of Pokémon. I'll define this as anything from the eighteenth season and below. I'll also include all movies, specials, shorts and animated trailers done before the end of the eighteenth season. Anything newer should go in the other thread.

Might as well kick things off by asking what are your favorite rival and villain voices?

My favorite rival voice would have to be Jamie McGonnigal as Barry (Diamond and Pearl). He was such a perfect fit for the role and his comedic delivery never failed to make me laugh. Julian Rebolledo as Paul and Eddy Lee as Gladion are two great ones when it comes to the more serious, no nonsense kind of rivals and I kinda liked Jonathan Silver as Alain (except for his XYZ debut where he sounded super stiff as heck).

My favorite villain voice is still Tyler Bunch as Lysandre. After hearing how comically silly Archie and Maxie sounded and how too cartoony Ghetsis was, I was absolutely blown away at just how good Tyler was as the character. Really made him sound menacing. And yes I know I'm technically cheating on this one since it's from the newer seasons as opposed to the old ones but I really liked Barron Bass as Chairman Rose too.

Rivals... Let's see... Well, Carter Cathcart as Gary Oak is a classic, of course. As for a more unpopular favorite... I actually really liked Erica Schroeder's Bianca. Yeah, some people think the voice is annoying or sounds too old or whatever, but you can't tell me she's having anything but the time of her life when it comes to the actual line delivery. The last one that comes to mind is Todd Haberkorn as Tierno. I may not be the biggest fan of the actual character, but I at least appreciated his voice work.

As for villains... Yeah, I agree that most of those performances were pretty laughable. I guess Sean Schemmel as Cyrus was decent. But yeah, apart from Lysandre and Rose who you already mentioned, the only Pokémon villain that I recall sounding genuinely menacing was Jamieson Price as Giovanni from Origins. Totally separate from the main anime, I know, but I still think it was memorable enough to deserve a shout-out.

But yeah, apart from Lysandre and Rose who you already mentioned, the only Pokémon villain that I recall sounding genuinely menacing was Jamieson Price as Giovanni from Origins. Totally separate from the main anime, I know, but I still think it was memorable enough to deserve a shout-out.
I should mention I do actually like Ted Lewis as Giovanni (Jamieson was really fantastic as Giovanni in Origins) as well, then again I've always been a fan of Tea (especially his Bakura).

I've written about this before but I still find it amusing.

I was watching a video showing all the ways 4Kids replaced riceballs in Pokemon and I noticed in the Japanese clip of AG118 that the voice of Masamune (Morrison in the dub) had a familiar rasp to it. I look it up, he was voiced by legendary voice actress Masako Nozowa. Then a funny thought occurred to me. I knew a certain voice actor worked on 4Kids dubs, usually with secondary and minor characters. More seachring and to my delight, Sean Schemmel had voiced him in the English dub. Looks like Son Goku, of Dragon Ball fame, isn't the only character those two shared! ;)

Last edited:
I should mention I do actually like Ted Lewis as Giovanni (Jamieson was really fantastic as Giovanni in Origins) as well, then again I've always been a fan of Tea (especially his Bakura).
In hindsight I poorly worded that post. I don't think Ted Lewis' Giovanni is bad per se – I actually think it does a good job of capturing his more charismatic side – I just thought Jamieson Price did a better job of making him sound intimidating.
I've written about this before but I still find it amusing.

I was watching a video showing all the ways 4Kids replaced riceballs in Pokemon and I noticed in the Japanese clip of AG118 that the voice of Masamune (Morrison in the dub) had a familiar rasp to it. I look it up, he was voiced by legendary voice actress Masako Nozowa. Then a funny thought occurred to me. I knew a certain voice actor worked on 4Kids dubs, usually with secondary and minor characters. More seachring and to my delight, Sean Schemmel had voiced him in the English dub. Looks like Son Goku, of Dragon Ball fame, isn't the only character those two shared! ;)
Yeah, I knew about that. That is pretty amusing. I wonder if the dub actually did that on purpose or if it was a complete coincidence.

I remember during a list of how many COTD's a VA voiced during each region and I was surprised to see Tara Sands dominating Johto with 18 characters total and Dan Green following closely behind.

Looking through the list Maddie Blaustein voiced 17 in Kanto, Hoenn had a triple tie between Marc Thompson, Darren Dunstan and Rebecca Honig with 7, Sinnoh had Tom Wayland voicing 6, Unova had Marc Thompson with 7, Kalos had David Wills with 4, Alola had Brian Kim with 2 (since most of the characters we all thought would be COTD's appeared more frequently) and so far Journeys has Marc Thompson again with 2 (could change if they pull a S&M with some of the other characters).

I was actually wondering if anyone had any guesses for some of the older COTDs without a confirmed voice actor.

Like the kids in XY049:

Here is the credited cast for that episode:
Sarah Natochenny
Haven Paschall
Michael Liscio Jr.
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Carter Cathcart
Jennifer DaCosta
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Suzy Myers
H.D. Quinn
Kayzie Rogers
Carrie Savage
Erica Schroeder
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson

We know Carrie Savage at least voices Heidi (the girl in pink). Kye (the bigger boy in blue) sounds like he's voiced by a man, while Jay (smaller boy in green) sounds like he's voiced by a woman.

Personally, I'm pretty certain Billy Bob Thompson is Kye and even tried to reach out to him on Twitter for confirmation, but I haven't gotten a response back yet. Not sure about Jay though. I think he might be Alyson Rosenfeld but I'm far from 100% sure about that guess.

Okay, I need help with another XY COTD. Who do you think voices the mom in this clip? Eileen Stevens again or someone else?

Credited cast:
Sarah Natochenny
Haven Paschall
Michael Liscio Jr.
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Billy Bob Thompson
Eileen Stevens
H.D. Quinn
Jason Jacoby
Kayzie Rogers
Lisa Ortiz
Suzy Myers
Tom Wayland
Wayne Grayson

(I'm pretty sure Blake and Heath are voiced by Wayne Grayson and Jason Jacoby respectively, and I didn't include the dad because H.D. Quinn/Tyler Bunch already confirmed he voiced him.)

Okay, I need help with another XY COTD. Who do you think voices the mom in this clip? Eileen Stevens again or someone else?

Credited cast:
Sarah Natochenny
Haven Paschall
Michael Liscio Jr.
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Billy Bob Thompson
Eileen Stevens
H.D. Quinn
Jason Jacoby
Kayzie Rogers
Lisa Ortiz
Suzy Myers
Tom Wayland
Wayne Grayson

(I'm pretty sure Blake and Heath are voiced by Wayne Grayson and Jason Jacoby respectively, and I didn't include the dad because H.D. Quinn/Tyler Bunch already confirmed he voiced him.)

I think it's very likely that it's Eileen Stevens again.

I think one of the worst things an anime dub can do is to make everyone sound stilted or unmotivated, which can happen even if the cast is full of professional veterans. For all of 4Kids' mistakes, at least everyone (usually) was trying, even if the results were mixed.

I noticed that Lickitung is in the banner image for Carter Cathcart's fan club on Facebook (which he runs). Since most of the other Pokémon depicted there are ones he's known to voice, I wonder if that means he was the true voice of Jessie's Lickitung, not Eric Stuart. I mainly say that because there aren't many other voiced Lickitung appearances in the show that I know of (and Ulu's in SM was confirmed to be voiced by Pete Zarustica).

Should mention I do a little video series called Pokémon Voice Actor Highlight which focuses on voice actors or specific characters/Pokemon. As of now I'm working on a multi part video about most of the gym leaders that have been seen aside from companions and one for Eileen Stevens (which was voted for by a few people).

Back
Top Bottom