• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

No one really mentioned it when it happened and it won't affect the dub at all, but Iyuno Media Group and SDI Media merged together last month, the new name being Iyuno-SDI Group.

This is really cool, as SDI Media does pretty much every single TPCi dub already in Europe and Asia. SDI Media in the US also previously did Pokemon Origins in 2013.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the topic, but does anybody think that TPCi is slowly trying to move all dubbing of the series to California? It started with Origins in 2013, and ever since then it seems like most Pokémon products that aren’t the anime are recorded there.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the topic, but does anybody think that TPCi is slowly trying to move all dubbing of the series to California? It started with Origins in 2013, and ever since then it seems like most Pokémon products that aren’t the anime are recorded there.
Guess it doesn't help that the dub is recorded between NY/LA as of Journeys, so you could be onto something.

It’d be a real shame if eventually they just up and front choose to ditch the NY actors and go all LA only.

It’d be even worse with Pokémon considering that’s still one of the biggest franchises they’re still dubbing for and if they were to lose it, they’d just have Yu-Gi-Oh left when it comes to big franchises (and we all know how super behind Konami is with the dub, there’s literally still no news on Sevens unless they’re still producing the dub).

Essentially it’d be a Beyblade scenario, the kind of show that’s been recorded somewhere for a long time only to then have production be moved somewhere else which would feel a little jarring.

That show was recorded in Canada (first in Toronto and then Vancouver) before they went to LA and straight up just replaced everyone who was on Burst.

I know people don’t like the dub these days but I still think the NY folk are very talented people who are great at what they do (even if not every role will be a winner) and having the LA folks on board whilst still keeping them was a nice change of pace and really helps with variety.

*Then again, I’m probably looking into this too much. Ash Ketchum is most likely never leaving the anime so things will probably stay the same*

Last edited:
It’d be a real shame if eventually they just up and front choose to ditch the NY actors and go all LA only.

It’d be even worse with Pokémon considering that’s still one of the biggest franchises they’re still dubbing for and if they were to lose it, they’d just have Yu-Gi-Oh left when it comes to big franchises (and we all know how super behind Konami is with the dub, there’s literally still no news on Sevens unless they’re still producing the dub).

Essentially it’d be a Beyblade scenario, the kind of show that’s been recorded somewhere for a long time only to then have production be moved somewhere else which would feel a little jarring.

That show was recorded in Canada (first in Toronto and then Vancouver) before they went to LA and straight up just replaced everyone who was on Burst.

I know people don’t like the dub these days but I still think the NY folk are very talented people who are great at what they do (even if not every role will be a winner) and having the LA folks on board whilst still keeping them was a nice change of pace and really helps with variety.

*Then again, I’m probably looking into this too much. Ash Ketchum is most likely never leaving the anime so things will probably stay the same*
These are exactly my feelings on the subject. The NY dubbing pool is probably the oldest in the country (going all the way back to the days of Astro Boy and Speed Racer), so seeing them lose a lot of their most prominent shows and actors (Lisa Ortiz, Jason Griffith, Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, Sean Schemmel, Marc Diraison, plus the semi-retirement of Dan Green) in the last few years is kinda sad, especially to a native New Yorker like me. Of course, NYAV Post is still pretty big and getting lots of work, but most of their dubs are biased towards the LA pool these days, with only minor roles being played by NY guys like David Brimmer.

But, of course, who am I to complain? Since most Netflix dubs are based in LA I assume they are somewhat responsible for this change, and Lisa Ortiz moving out there just happened to coincide with it.

Adin Rudd (Archie in Pokemon Masters) is the first new VA for Master Journeys in episode 1.

I know this is a stretch and highly unlikely, but I wonder if perhaps Tara Sands will reprise her role as Ash's Bulbasaur for the English dub of JN068. The fact that Megan Hollinshead was able to reprise her role as Nurse Joy gives me a tiny amount of hope.

I know this is a stretch and highly unlikely, but I wonder if perhaps Tara Sands will reprise her role as Ash's Bulbasaur for the English dub of JN068. The fact that Megan Hollinshead was able to reprise her role as Nurse Joy gives me a tiny amount of hope.

With Michele Knotz still in the cast, that seems very unlikely

I could see her reprising her role as Smoochum which hasn't been recast since Kayzie Rogers departure

I could see her reprising her role as Smoochum which hasn't been recast since Kayzie Rogers departure
Wait, wasn't Smoochum in The Power of Us? Who voiced it there? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

Just asked Lisa Ortiz about who voiced Mallow on her Instagram livestream, she's officially confirmed that it's Emily Cramer who voiced Mallow.

I watched the non-live version of the Instagram stream to check and didn't catch Mallow or Vikavolt being mentioned anywhere. Did that part not get recorded or something?

Edit: Looks like that was an earlier March stream. Too bad I missed the new one.

Happy Birthday to Kyle Hebert, the voice of Ryu from Street Fighter and Gohan from the Dragon Ball franchise.

His first Pokemon role was Professor Oak in the Origins mini-series. He would eventually go on to voice Eusine in Generations, Pryce and Crasher Wake in Masters and then eventually joining the main series in Journeys as Galar's own referee Dan.

There was also his Karate Master COTD in Bea's debut episode which was a nod to his Ryu role.

Episode 2 of Master Journeys features Kellen Goff (Diavolo from Jojo) as Bray Zenn and Amanda Winn Lee (the original Rei from ADV's Evangelion dub) as Cara Liss.

It's also possible Jason Griffith is the dub voice for Mr. Fish himself but I'll update you when we get official confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom