• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

snowmint

Henshin A Go Go Baby!
Reaction score
The voice change situation happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if another shake up ever happen again.

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Listening to Kaiji Tang's Q&A on the Voice Acting Club Discord server and he's confirmed that he voices Koko's Dad in Secrets of the Jungle.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
Listening to Kaiji Tang's Q&A on the Voice Acting Club Discord server and he's confirmed that he voices Koko's Dad in Secrets of the Jungle.
Now that's a surprise. I feel like I should've been able to tell if it was him.

Any thoughts on who voices the mayor?

Pkmndub

See ya
Reaction score
I rarely post these days but I wanted to clarify to @snowmint
Tldr: the 2006 S9 recast was due to the NDAs the 4Kids voice actors had (a 3 year contract). they were not allowed to do their Pokémon voices away from 4Kids productions which is standard (for example, Mike Pollock can't do his Eggman voice without permission in public). But due to this TPCi had to recast. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers basically broke their NDAs and moved with the show, which is why you don't see them in 4Kids post-06.

That 3 year contract is why everyone starts coming back in Season 11, a majority of the 4Kids cast have been on S11+ in someway or another, and I don't think they have reason to stop using bicoastal talent now.

I also think it's a common misconception that VAs are bound to the production or studio they are on. The VAs you see on Pokémon are freelancers/self employed, and will work wherever they are asked to.

Last edited:

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Tldr: the 2006 S9 recast was due to the NDAs the 4Kids voice actors had (a 3 year contract). they were not allowed to do their Pokémon voices away from 4Kids productions which is standard (for example, Mike Pollock can't do his Eggman voice without permission in public). But due to this TPCi had to recast. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers basically broke their NDAs and moved with the show, which is why you don't see them in 4Kids post-06.

That 3 year contract is why everyone starts coming back in Season 11, a majority of the 4Kids cast have been on S11+ in someway or another, and I don't think they have reason to stop using bicoastal talent now.

I also think it's a common misconception that VAs are bound to the production or studio they are on. The VAs you see on Pokémon are freelancers/self employed, and will work wherever they are asked to.
Totally hit the nail right on the head with this one. It'd be completely unnecessary for them to drop one side of their talent pool in favour of the other when they have both now that they do remote recording.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him

I think the misconception stems from a lot of people misinterpreting the contract the 4Kids dub's cast had as an outright non-compete clause.

(Also, New York's VO talent pool in general being best known for their work with 4Kids, thus leading to the idea of "4Kids VAs", a term which obviously has a lot of potential to mislead.)

snowmint

Henshin A Go Go Baby!
Reaction score
That is an oddly specific clause. "You can't do the pokemon voices on a non 4kids work for x amount of years." I wonder if Carter and Kayzie said "screw it" to 4kids cause they saw more longevity with Pokemon than any of 4kids other productions in general?

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
That is an oddly specific clause. "You can't do the pokemon voices on a non 4kids work for x amount of years." I wonder if Carter and Kayzie said "screw it" to 4kids cause they saw more longevity with Pokemon than any of 4kids other productions in general?
I mean, "you can't do this specific cartoon voice without permission from us" isn't that uncommon a clause. SpongeBob's voice actor has that with Nickelodeon, for instance. It's just weird that with 4Kids it had an expiration date.

Pkmndub

See ya
Reaction score
Expiration dates are normal on NDAs as well, but usually for long running shows and stuff you re-sign it. Usually it's after this amount of time, you are not legally bound anymore, because imagine the legal nightmares of being bound for all time.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
Expiration dates are normal on NDAs as well, but usually for long running shows and stuff you re-sign it. Usually it's after this amount of time, you are not legally bound anymore, because imagine the legal nightmares of being bound for all time.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Seems as if Billy Bob Thompson might be Geodude's Trainer in today's Master Journeys episode.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
In the Amazon Prime Video (and reportedly iTunes) closed captions for Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the ending song "We Will Meet Again" is attributed to Eric Stuart.

However, in the credits themselves, Stuart isn't listed for writing or producing the song. One might think he's the vocalist, who isn't otherwise listed, however, according to Stuart himself, that isn't true.

You see, someone actually tried to add Eric Stuart as the artist on Bulbapedia several years ago, citing the iTunes closed captions, but then at least one other person asked him about it on Twitter. The tweet itself he ended up replying to is now deleted, so I can't be sure exactly what was asked. However, Stuart's reply was a strong, unambiguous denial, which was apparently enough to get said edit reverted on Bulbapedia.

Since Eric Stuart is a full-time musician now, I was able to look up some of his more recent work on YouTube, and his singing voice is indeed rather different from the ending theme singer's. However, that still begs the question: if he wasn't involved in any major way, then why do the closed captions call the ending his song?

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
With Drake returning for Episode 88 of Journeys, I wonder if we'll see Brian Maillard return. He hasn't been in a NY anime dub for a long while but he's still active in the voiceover industry having been in the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Disney's Amphibia.

BigDocFan

Super Cute and Powerful
Reaction score
Would be nice to see him return, depends on where he is active and if he has a home studio or not

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
With Drake returning for Episode 88 of Journeys, I wonder if we'll see Brian Maillard return. He hasn't been in a NY anime dub for a long while but he's still active in the voiceover industry having been in the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Disney's Amphibia.
Huh. I had no idea he was still active. I don't think it's definite by any means but there's certainly a chance he could be brought back, especially since he apparently lives in LA now.

Maybe he'd even be able to reprise Exploud if it ever reappears too.

Last edited:

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
J. Michael Tatum returns to the world of Pokémon in Episode 22 of Master Journeys. His previous roles in the main anime was the legendary dream destroyer Tobias in Diamond and Pearl and Damon in the first Black and White movie. He also voices Emmet in Pokémon Masters.

BigDocFan

Super Cute and Powerful
Reaction score
J. Michael Tatum returns to the world of Pokémon in Episode 22 of Master Journeys. His previous roles in the main anime was the legendary dream destroyer Tobias in Diamond and Pearl and Damon in the first Black and White movie. He also voices Emmet in Pokémon Masters.
He must have been voicing background characters then as no new major character appeared in that episode