• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

It's got to be the most stupid one, IMO, I could at least understand the moustache one because of Hitler but this one just...WHY?

4Kids had no problem letting people get frozen in the old dub, and neither did TPCi in the DP dub....I wonder WHO decided Ash being frozen was offensive enough to warrant censorship here? Just weird, tbh.

It's definitely weird, it's not something i'll lose sleep over but for sure strange but who knows the reason.
Speaking of changes the dub did make though a change it made to itself is interestingly the title, originally it was titled "Kindness Right on the Tic!" in various TV guides but the title changed to "Bearing Down Easy!" and I think the reason for this may be a little more obvious being the use of the word "Tic" which is something that people with Tourette Syndrome experience, what's interesting about this is that we only found out the new title a few days ago so this must have been a last minute change, it's possible they got cold feet and realised that while it refers to Beartic the use of the word "Tic" could be taken the wrong way so they thought it would be best to just change it which I do actually think is understandable, I wonder if due to this Sarah had to re-record for the title card with the new title and it must've been quite recent if so, right? I think that's very interesting!

It's definitely weird, it's not something i'll lose sleep over but for sure strange but who knows the reason.
Speaking of changes the dub did make though a change it made to itself is interestingly the title, originally it was titled "Kindness Right on the Tic!" in various TV guides but the title changed to "Bearing Down Easy!" and I think the reason for this may be a little more obvious being the use of the word "Tic" which is something that people with Tourette Syndrome experience, what's interesting about this is that we only found out the new title a few days ago so this must have been a last minute change, it's possible they got cold feet and realised that while it refers to Beartic the use of the word "Tic" could be taken the wrong way so they thought it would be best to just change it which I do actually think is understandable, I wonder if due to this Sarah had to re-record for the title card with the new title and it must've been quite recent if so, right? I think that's very interesting!
It’s just so weird, like they had no problem before with this, is all.

I think you’re right on the title.

It’s just so weird, like they had no problem before with this, is all.

I think you’re right on the title.
So interesting update on this edit, apparently this edit was also present in the Taiwanese dub as well which suggests that OLM decided to make this change themselves. As to why, I don't know but this is interesting.

I’m hoping that the next batch of episodes on Netflix will include some of the MPM episodes, so we can get official confirmation regarding who took over as James/Meowth/Oak for the English dub.

I’m hoping that the next batch of episodes on Netflix will include some of the MPM episodes, so we can get official confirmation regarding who took over as James/Meowth/Oak for the English dub.
Random hunches so far (not confirmed, mere speculation, we will find out when the database pkmndub linked from pocket monsters.net has it up):

James- Either Barrett Leddy or Roger Callagy (?)
Meowth- Either Edward Bosco or Billy Bob Thompson (?)
Prof Oak- Mick Wingert doing a JCC impression (?)

The next batch coming this month will only go right up to the end of Journeys. It's likely there will be a fourth and final batch for the MPM episodes.

The next batch coming this month will only go right up to the end of Journeys. It's likely there will be a fourth and final batch for the MPM episodes.
Sadly what Retro says is the likely option, think we'll have to wait until October for when the final batch of episodes come out

Sadly what Retro says is the likely option, think we'll have to wait until October for when the final batch of episodes come out
It’s pretty interesting they’re trying not to reveal who the new James, Oak, etc are in the dub yet. I have to figure it’s out of respect for JCC’s illness, it’s been under wraps for a while now?

They haven't even officially "aired" in the US.
True, but if Canada has, it’s been a while now. Isn’t the dub Netflix exclusive here?

One thing I find interesting is the gap between Japanese airings and the dub is the same as 4Kids was now, about a year, earlier on TPCi tried to shrink the gap back but now it’s widened back to the same distance.

And yet the final product isn't any better than when they were rushing out the episodes... amazing, isn't it lol

And yet the final product isn't any better than when they were rushing out the episodes... amazing, isn't it lol
It truly is, the gap is basically back to where it was in the 4Kids days ironically enough. Back in the BF/early DP days, they would crank that stuff out fast randomly just to rush to get to Diamond & Pearl from what Bulbapedia has stated, but we're eventually back to the same old state we were in under 4Kids w/the gap by the end of TPCi's tenure w/Ash.

The Goldfarb Era of TPCi's dub (what fans have called the Series' English dub from XY-JN, the 4Kids Era is what they call OS-most of AG dubbed, and the transition Era is for BF-BW) is truly like taking both aspects of the prior dub's faults and their own, melding them into one, I'm not sure what happened but this all began in XY's run proper and has only continued to intensify sadly IMO.

Last edited:
It truly is, the gap is basically back to where it was in the 4Kids days ironically enough. Back in the BF/early DP days, they would crank that stuff out fast randomly just to rush to get to Diamond & Pearl from what Bulbapedia has stated, but we're eventually back to the same old state we were in under 4Kids w/the gap by the end of TPCi's tenure w/Ash.

The Goldfarb Era of TPCi's dub (what fans have called the Series' English dub from XY-JN, the 4Kids Era is what they call OS-most of AG dubbed, and the transition Era is for BF-BW) is truly like taking both aspects of the prior dub's faults and their own, melding them into one, I'm not sure what happened but this all began in XY's run proper and has only continued to intensify sadly IMO.

Back in the 4kids days the gap was about a year on average, as for now: between Japan and Canada airings it's about a few months though Netflix varies wildly, the oldest episode in a batch can be upwards of 300 days - sometimes even more, while the newest in that same batch can be around 190 days or under. Netflix releases as of late have not been as consistent as they were early Journeys, it's kinda a bit annoying.

Back in the 4kids days the gap was about a year on average, as for now: between Japan and Canada airings it's about a few months though Netflix varies wildly, the oldest episode in a batch can be upwards of 300 days - sometimes even more, while the newest in that same batch can be around 190 days or under. Netflix releases as of late have not been as consistent as they were early Journeys, it's kinda a bit annoying.

True, in fairness the gap is slightly less I suppose, but for some reason it widened back up again to almost a little over half a year per se: why, I don't know...

Sadly Michele Knotz has blocked me on twitter so i can't see the original tweet
You must have done something so heinous and extremely rude to piss her off like that.

But I still believe Horizons will mark a radical change to the entire voice cast, with probably most of the voices from Ash Ketchum era either being in a smaller capacity, if not moving on from the series altogether. I just feel it's the perfect chance for TPCI to push new names to the forefront of the voice cast.

Hopefully we get a sneak preview of Horizons' English dub soon. If I recall correctly, Sun & Moon released a preview of the first two episodes before the series officially debuted. Hopefully they do something similar with Horizons.

Back
Top Bottom