• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

The voice change situation happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if another shake up ever happen again.

The voice change situation happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if another shake up ever happen again.
They could easily have changed all the voice actors when they moved to LA but they didn't which I'm grateful for, especially as Lisa Ortiz remains in charge as voice director

Listening to Kaiji Tang's Q&A on the Voice Acting Club Discord server and he's confirmed that he voices Koko's Dad in Secrets of the Jungle.

Listening to Kaiji Tang's Q&A on the Voice Acting Club Discord server and he's confirmed that he voices Koko's Dad in Secrets of the Jungle.
Now that's a surprise. I feel like I should've been able to tell if it was him.

Any thoughts on who voices the mayor?

I rarely post these days but I wanted to clarify to @snowmint
Tldr: the 2006 S9 recast was due to the NDAs the 4Kids voice actors had (a 3 year contract). they were not allowed to do their Pokémon voices away from 4Kids productions which is standard (for example, Mike Pollock can't do his Eggman voice without permission in public). But due to this TPCi had to recast. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers basically broke their NDAs and moved with the show, which is why you don't see them in 4Kids post-06.

That 3 year contract is why everyone starts coming back in Season 11, a majority of the 4Kids cast have been on S11+ in someway or another, and I don't think they have reason to stop using bicoastal talent now.

I also think it's a common misconception that VAs are bound to the production or studio they are on. The VAs you see on Pokémon are freelancers/self employed, and will work wherever they are asked to.

Last edited:
Tldr: the 2006 S9 recast was due to the NDAs the 4Kids voice actors had (a 3 year contract). they were not allowed to do their Pokémon voices away from 4Kids productions which is standard (for example, Mike Pollock can't do his Eggman voice without permission in public). But due to this TPCi had to recast. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers basically broke their NDAs and moved with the show, which is why you don't see them in 4Kids post-06.

That 3 year contract is why everyone starts coming back in Season 11, a majority of the 4Kids cast have been on S11+ in someway or another, and I don't think they have reason to stop using bicoastal talent now.

I also think it's a common misconception that VAs are bound to the production or studio they are on. The VAs you see on Pokémon are freelancers/self employed, and will work wherever they are asked to.
Totally hit the nail right on the head with this one. It'd be completely unnecessary for them to drop one side of their talent pool in favour of the other when they have both now that they do remote recording.

I think the misconception stems from a lot of people misinterpreting the contract the 4Kids dub's cast had as an outright non-compete clause.

(Also, New York's VO talent pool in general being best known for their work with 4Kids, thus leading to the idea of "4Kids VAs", a term which obviously has a lot of potential to mislead.)

That is an oddly specific clause. "You can't do the pokemon voices on a non 4kids work for x amount of years." I wonder if Carter and Kayzie said "screw it" to 4kids cause they saw more longevity with Pokemon than any of 4kids other productions in general?

That is an oddly specific clause. "You can't do the pokemon voices on a non 4kids work for x amount of years." I wonder if Carter and Kayzie said "screw it" to 4kids cause they saw more longevity with Pokemon than any of 4kids other productions in general?
I mean, "you can't do this specific cartoon voice without permission from us" isn't that uncommon a clause. SpongeBob's voice actor has that with Nickelodeon, for instance. It's just weird that with 4Kids it had an expiration date.

Expiration dates are normal on NDAs as well, but usually for long running shows and stuff you re-sign it. Usually it's after this amount of time, you are not legally bound anymore, because imagine the legal nightmares of being bound for all time.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

Seems as if Billy Bob Thompson might be Geodude's Trainer in today's Master Journeys episode.

In the Amazon Prime Video (and reportedly iTunes) closed captions for Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the ending song "We Will Meet Again" is attributed to Eric Stuart.

However, in the credits themselves, Stuart isn't listed for writing or producing the song. One might think he's the vocalist, who isn't otherwise listed, however, according to Stuart himself, that isn't true.

You see, someone actually tried to add Eric Stuart as the artist on Bulbapedia several years ago, citing the iTunes closed captions, but then at least one other person asked him about it on Twitter. The tweet itself he ended up replying to is now deleted, so I can't be sure exactly what was asked. However, Stuart's reply was a strong, unambiguous denial, which was apparently enough to get said edit reverted on Bulbapedia.

Since Eric Stuart is a full-time musician now, I was able to look up some of his more recent work on YouTube, and his singing voice is indeed rather different from the ending theme singer's. However, that still begs the question: if he wasn't involved in any major way, then why do the closed captions call the ending his song?

With Drake returning for Episode 88 of Journeys, I wonder if we'll see Brian Maillard return. He hasn't been in a NY anime dub for a long while but he's still active in the voiceover industry having been in the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Disney's Amphibia.

With Drake returning for Episode 88 of Journeys, I wonder if we'll see Brian Maillard return. He hasn't been in a NY anime dub for a long while but he's still active in the voiceover industry having been in the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Disney's Amphibia.
Huh. I had no idea he was still active. I don't think it's definite by any means but there's certainly a chance he could be brought back, especially since he apparently lives in LA now.

Maybe he'd even be able to reprise Exploud if it ever reappears too.

Last edited:
J. Michael Tatum returns to the world of Pokémon in Episode 22 of Master Journeys. His previous roles in the main anime was the legendary dream destroyer Tobias in Diamond and Pearl and Damon in the first Black and White movie. He also voices Emmet in Pokémon Masters.

J. Michael Tatum returns to the world of Pokémon in Episode 22 of Master Journeys. His previous roles in the main anime was the legendary dream destroyer Tobias in Diamond and Pearl and Damon in the first Black and White movie. He also voices Emmet in Pokémon Masters.
He must have been voicing background characters then as no new major character appeared in that episode

Back
Top Bottom