• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dubbed, Subbed, or Raw

Raw, subbed, or duubbed

• Total voters
I watch the subs, but if I can't find sub versions I watch raw. I watch Myuutsuu no Gyakushuu without subs, because the only subbed one I can find is the DVD version and I like the one that was only released on VHS better. I don't watch Pokemon dubs
1: because I don't ike dubs
2: because the story is different (I mean why watch another version of the Pokemon world)

I hope to learn Japanese in the future so I can watch raw and understand what they are saying. The subs are ok, but since I understand some Japanese words from the video games (since I have them in Japanese) I have found out some subs are not correct. Even English words said in the Japanese anime is sometimes not right in the subtitles. Even Dogasu made a mistake, I remember.

I watch the subs, but if I can't find sub versions I watch raw. I watch Myuutsuu no Gyakushuu without subs, because the only subbed one I can find is the DVD version and I like the one that was only released on VHS better. I don't watch Pokemon dubs
1: because I don't like dubs
2: because the story is different (I mean why watch another version of the Pokemon world)

I hope to learn Japanese in the future so I can watch raw and understand what they are saying. The subs are ok, but since I understand some Japanese words from the video games (since I have them in Japanese) I have found out some subs are not correct. Even English words said in the Japanese anime is sometimes not right in the subtitles. Even Dogasu made a mistake, I remember.

The only time I prefer a dub is if it's like a Shin-Chan type show or I like an American voice actor. I read quickly, so it's not a matter of being able to read them in time. The problem w/ subs is that you're only looking at the bottom of the screen when there's dialog.

Not only for Pokemon, but also for other anime as well, I prefer subbed. Pokemon subs are rare, so for Pokemon I watch the raw version, I can understand some small bits and pieces of the conversation and Pokemon isn't really a show hard to follow even when you don't understand the language. I would fare badly when I try to do that on a show which has a lot of (complex) conversations, like Gundam.

I always watch raw. I would translate + sub more episodes but I don't have the time to pick up a big show like Pokémon. I did sub one episode recently though. Kept Japanese names for the humans and Pokémon as that's what I'm used to.

http://m33w-fansubs.com/?p=217

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on places where I can improve in the future if I sub any more episodes. I know the quality for Pokémon subs tend to suck and I wanted to change that.

Pokemon is one of those shows were I will watch either, as long as I get my Pokemon fix I'm good.

I prefer raw. The stories are easy enough to figure out and I know a word or two of Japanese.

I voted Subbed and Raw. Ever since I started watching the original version in 2004, I've been watching new episodes just to keep up with the spoilers. But I've also started watching earlier episodes just so I could get a fix a which music plays when and where. That's really the biggest difference between the original and the Dub, so that's my main focus.

Contrary to what many people claim, it's not that hard to understand what happens in Raw Pocket Monsters episodes, if you know enough about the Pokemon series to begin with. You can pretty much tell what happens based on tone of voice within the characters, common Japanese phrases known to Anime fans, occasional English phrases, and yes, even the music.

I do watch the Dubbed version, but I will almost always just watch new episodes and move on from there.

Contrary to what many people claim, it's not that hard to understand what happens in Raw Pocket Monsters episodes, if you know enough about the Pokemon series to begin with. You can pretty much tell what happens based on tone of voice within the characters, common Japanese phrases known to Anime fans, occasional English phrases, and yes, even the music.

Specific traits are harder to get though. Like I never would have known that the Marauder uses ultra-polite language to command Celebi if I hadn't had a friend to tell me that, since there's really no way to translate that (and the fact that it makes no sense for him to do so and seems counterproductive, but that's beside the point).

I've been slacking on watching the anime, but when I do decide to watch it, I prefer subbed if I can get it, since I prefer the Japanese version. I've never had a problem with subs, so keeping an eye on what's going on while reading is easy for me.

If subs aren't available (which is the usual case), I choose between the raw or dubbed, depending on who dubbed it. I don't mind watching a 4Kids dub, but I just can't seem to get used to PUSA's voice actors...

The raw is a little hard to understand exactly (I have a basic understanding of some Japanese, but it's not much. Usually just basic, everyday words and phrases), but you can usually get a decent enough understanding just watching since Pokemon usually isn't very complicated :p

As a last resort, I'll watch PUSA's dub if I want a better understanding of a non-subbed episode.

I voted raw, because subbers and dubbers may change part of the story by their choice of words. I saw one sub for Hikozaru's Tears, only because I couldn't find a raw anywhere (I didn't have VLC).

I do watch the dub in the morning, but just for kicks and the fact that its on TV so I don't need my computer. For those who said they can't stand PUSA, that's one of the reasons I prefer raw: They only change the Japanese VA's when characters leave or for Maternity leave (and that's only temporary).

That's probably the best course. If I have any trouble understanding the story, I go looking for Bulbapedia.

Actually, Sailor Moon only had several voice actors in the dub. She had the same Japanese VA (who was Domino) the whole time, who was only briefly replaced during an illness and didn't get replaced again.

You might have also seen a listing for the person who played her in the live action show or the actresses who played her in the Sailor Moon Musical.

I picked it doesn't matter to me. I'm not very picky of what language I prefer to watch the POkemon anime.

Since the voice over back at 06, probably the summer months, I started to turn over to the Japanese version thinking PUSA wouldn't do a good quality job on them. And from there I seen the Jap version, and surprisely its not so hard to get the concept from another language despite the language barrier where I don't understand entirely what the characters are saying. But I picked up some Japanese words since watching it. And I have a Japanese expert who translates lines for me if I want to know what's happening a part.

Subbed, ha, sub is nice but too bad there isn't someone who subs the episodes in a snap. I seen some other anime and it was subbed within hours after the episode aired. Kinda hate it doesn't get subbed fast.

Then the dub, for one its obviously the english language. And could finally understand the episode. Just have to withstand the weird changes they make on the dub since I been so adapted to the Japanese version. Takes a bit but to the truth its a total different vibe when watching the dub vs the raw.

And of course I love watch Pokemon other languages. I seen in Spanish, Dutch, French, Portuguese, and German. Just interesting how they sound.

Sailor Moon was played by a single voice actress for the entire series, apart from a short leave of 6 episodes when she had an operation.

One character who did get a complete VA change, however, was Chichi in DragonBall Z, who was voiced by Mayumi Shou for all of Dragonball and early DBZ, then got changed for Naoko Watanabe. I have no idea why this was done, and Shou did continue doing minor roles in DBZ after this change, too.

I prefer RAW mostly, though SUBS are welcome too. I'm easily distraught by the text, though, so I'd prefer watching the SUB first and then the RAW so I can enjoy the episode itself better while beforehand knowing what they're saying.

Since SUBS are hard to come by these days, I mostly just watch the RAWS. I won't get anywhere near the DUBS since I dislike any languaged version out there for the most. I do watch the Danish version when it's on TV and I have nothing else to do, but heck if I'm bored enough I'd even watch Teletubbies if that was on TV <<;

At least I, albeit slim and slowly, learn a little Japanese by watching the RAWS since the show's so easy to understand the pacing and story of.

I picked both subbed and raw. I watch the new episodes when they come out and will watch the occational fansub if I find one.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom