• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dubs or Subs?

Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

• Dubs

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Subs

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • It depends on the show

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted "it depends on the show". I don't mind dubs unless I feel that the voice acting has butchered the show (i.e. Tokyo Mew Mew vs. Mew Mew Power).

Subs all day every day.

There'll be the occasional dub I like, but they are few and far between.

I voted subs, I love the japanese language. Watching something dubbed is alright I guess, but I prefer the subbed versions.

I'm okay with dubs I rather like most ones and being able to enjoy the show but thing is some information doesn't sink in unless I read it so in cases like that rather have subs. So usually whenever I watch a show I'll watch it subbed then dubbed.

I'll watch a sub if it was done by a professional company. Most fansubs are terrible. Half of the japanese text is left untranslated and often the translation is a direct translation that makes me cringe. At least with a professional company, you can trust them to you know, actually translate it rather than leave half of it as it is and using stupid "Translator's Notes" to explain what the untranslated words mean. I mean really, why couldn't you just translate it if you're going to put in long translator's notes?

The point of translation is to, well, translate. If you can't do that, then maybe you shouldn't be doing subtitles at all.

I'll watch a sub if it was done by a professional company. Most fansubs are terrible. Half of the japanese text is left untranslated and often the translation is a direct translation that makes me cringe. At least with a professional company, you can trust them to you know, actually translate it rather than leave half of it as it is and using stupid "Translator's Notes" to explain what the untranslated words mean. I mean really, why couldn't you just translate it if you're going to put in long translator's notes?

The point of translation is to, well, translate. If you can't do that, then maybe you shouldn't be doing subtitles at all.
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/072/5/9/fansub_fail_03__keikaku_by_grimmjack-d3bk5l4.jpg
Seeing stuff like that, I completely know what you mean.

I must say it kinda depends on the show
I would prefer to watch Pokemon subbed yet there is no legitimate way of getting hold of this stuff

I can watch either dubs or subs myself. I'm not bothered by edits and "dumbing down," so dubs are just fine with me.

I even enjoy some of the 4Kids ones besides Pokémon, like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King, and I've seen the subbed versions too.

I even like Dragonball subbed more than dubbed. I have to admit, Masako Nozawa was tough for me to adjust to as I grew up with Sean Schemmel's Goku, but I feel she really nails the childlike aspect of Goku and his family. I actually like the Ocean dub as well. Of course I grew up with the FUNimation dub, but the FUNi Kai dub is my favorite. :)

So long as I enjoy the show or series, I'm happy. That's all I really care about at the end of the day.

If I can't, then it's another story, IMO.

Last edited:
Either is fine for me. I mainly watch the dub version if it's available, but I've watched subbed anime before if the dub wasn't available yet or if the dub is unbearable to watch. I can't understand Japanese so I prefer dubbed anime so I don't have to read subtitles. Having to pause a video to read subs can be annoying at times. There's actually some well done dubs imo.

I usually stick with subs, especially if the dub version contains heavy edits or the show relies heavily on Japanese idioms or wordplay. I find the quality of voice acting is a lot more variable in dubs, and they often overact or miss the mark on the tone of scenes. Some dubs are excellent though, like Cowboy Bebop and a few of the studio Ghibli movies. There's even a few dubs I'd consider to be better than the original version, namely Baccano! and Samurai Pizza Cats.

Even though I prefer subs generally, I do think there's an argument to be made for dubs as a way to turn more people on to anime, as most people are not interested in watching something with subtitles.

Like, I have to wonder if the reason that foreign films rarely make much bank in the U.S. is the fact that they're almost always shown here subtitled, whereas American films will get dubs in a lot of foreign countries even if they're live-action. I mean, with live-action films I have an even stronger subs preference than with anime, but not everyone feels the same way I do, and if it means more people will watch something I think is a great movie/show, then I wish it would be considered more often.

Some people just don't want to read when they're watching a screen!

It really depends. I usually prefer to watch an anime with subs, but once in a while there will be an anime(Baccano!)that's quite fun to watch dubbed. More often than not though, I just go with the subs.

Seems over here with foreign shows and movie it gets both a sub and a dub. Live-action films too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom