• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Duraludon’s description and the implications for improving the open world

Reaction score
The description in Duraludon’s page in the official site mentions that this Pokémon shares the same territory with Tyranitar, and the two Pokémon are often seeing fighting each others.

Now, I think this is only something they add to the description because the two will be found in the same areas in Shield, but I was thinking about it, and it seems something they should definitely add in the future to
Improve the current system.

In LGPE, they added Pokémon in the overworld; in SwoShi, they added a vast open area in the Wild area; I do think that either in the possible Gen 4 remakes or Gen 9 games they should add behaviors routine to Pokémon, so that they interact with the environment and each other, sometimes in peaceful ways and sometimes in belligerent ways.

I think it’ll help a lot in the immersion, as it’d make the game and interaction with Pokémon in the overworld more alive and realistic.

I doubt it’s something we’ll see in the next games. While this marketing process shown to not be sure on what you’ll se in the trailers, as additions in features and details (as seen in the last ones, shadows, lighting and textures are quite improved) happens in each following trailer, and even the demo was surely old (not only the trainers in the gym were clearly misplaced in teams and class, but now trainers in the gyms have their official outfit with the gym logo on their shirt, as seen in the last Japanese trailer), it’d be dumb to showcase the wild area with the old system at the biggest event of the year gaming-wise.

Even more so considering that the improved routines would soften the blow, although not for all and in different degrees, about the Pokédex news; it’d certainly mean that they worked to add something new that we haven’t seen before.

Last edited:
Honestly they should have already done it for these games. Especially if they are cutting down hundreds of Pokemon.

There's no reason they couldn't have achieved it, but they set their bar low and seem to have done no research about it. Gigantamaxing is ridiculous in how it's basically Mega+Z moves...that alone kind of proves GF's limitations.

The description Duraludon’s page in the official site mentions that this Pokémon shares the same territory with Tyranitar, and the two Pokémon are often seeing fighting each others.

Now, I think this is only something they add to the description because the two will be found in the same areas in Shield, but I was thinking about it, and it seems something they should definitely add in the future to
Improve the current system.

In LGPE, they added Pokémon in the overworld; in SwoShi, they added a vast open area in the Wild area; I do think that either in the possible Gen 4 remakes or Gen 9 games they should add behaviors routine to Pokémon, so that they interact with the environment and each other, sometimes in peaceful ways and sometimes in belligerent ways.

I think it’ll help a lot in the immersion, as it’d make the game and interaction with Pokémon in the overworld more alive and realistic.

I doubt it’s something we’ll see in the next games. While this marketing process shown to not be sure on what you’ll se in the trailers, as additions in features and details (as seen in the last ones, shadows, lighting and textures are quite improved) happens in each following trailer, and even the demo was surely old (not only the trainers in the gym were clearly misplaced in teams and class, but now trainers in the gyms have their official outfit with the gym logo on their shirt, as seen in the last Japanese trailer), it’d be dumb to showcase the wild area with the old system at the biggest event of the year gaming-wise.

Even more so considering that the improved routines would soften the blow, although not for all and in different degrees, about the Pokédex news; it’d certainly mean that they worked to add something new that we haven’t seen before.
Might be something that can improve on what we've seen from Gen6's Horde and Gen7's SOS system, but in the overworld. Like, we might witness an ongoing fight between Zangoose and Seviper, and when we run into either of them they could have their HP halved at the start of the battle. Or if we stay and watch, eventually one of them will faint and disappear from the overworld. Also, we might be able to see Sableye chasing Carbink in the overworld (maybe in an endless circle so players don't actually witness a pokemon getting eaten)

Honestly they should have already done it for these games. Especially if they are cutting down hundreds of Pokemon.

There's no reason they couldn't have achieved it, but they set their bar low and seem to have done no research about it. Gigantamaxing is ridiculous in how it's basically Mega+Z moves...that alone kind of proves GF's limitations.
I somehow agree that it should be already done, though I don’t get the connection with Gigantamax in regards of GF’s limitations.

Might be something that can improve on what we've seen from Gen6's Horde and Gen7's SOS system, but in the overworld. Like, we might witness an ongoing fight between Zangoose and Seviper, and when we run into either of them they could have their HP halved at the start of the battle. Or if we stay and watch, eventually one of them will faint and disappear from the overworld. Also, we might be able to see Sableye chasing Carbink in the overworld (maybe in an endless circle so players don't actually witness a pokemon getting eaten)
That would be quite interesting, and it’d connect the overworld interactions with Pokémon with the battle/catching mechanic.

In the same way, they can add the Horde system back in certain situations, like having a storm of Spearow attacking the trainer and starting an Horde battle.

One of my favorite little details in SM was how Bagon were more common at the base of the cliff on Route 3 than at the top, tying into how they jump off of cliffs in the hope of flying. I feel like these little personality traits are the kind of thing that GF would like to show more of - what you describe really seems like the next logical step, in an open-world context, from how predator Pokémon would answer the call of their prey during SOS battles.

One of my favorite little details in SM was how Bagon were more common at the base of the cliff on Route 3 than at the top, tying into how they jump off of cliffs in the hope of flying. I feel like these little personality traits are the kind of thing that GF would like to show more of - what you describe really seems like the next logical step, in an open-world context, from how predator Pokémon would answer the call of their prey during SOS battles.
And thanks to not realizing this genius bonus, I spent three hours looking for a Bagon at the top of the cliff :bulbaFacepalm:

Also, might this mean that Duraludon is a Shield exclusive?

Pokemon interacting in the overworld is something the Pokepark games already employed, so it would be logical to do it and improve it now that there is a similar open area world.

Pokemon interacting in the overworld is something the Pokepark games already employed, so it would be logical to do it and improve it now that there is a similar open area world.

Like mentioned before, these subtle injections of character I think are what long-time Pokémon fans (at least what I) find to be something super impactful. Not only do they really bring the Pokédex to life, but it feels all the more immersive as if we really are inside that RPG ourselves. Of course, not all Pokémon can be made this way, but I thought the Overworld in LGPE was a good start! Provided all of them really just "walk" on the overworld, so I think it wouldn't take too much time for them to interact with one another or what not!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom