• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dust Clouds

Torterra Trainer

タイタス
Reaction score
I wanted to talk about the Dust Clouds that pretty much everyone has seen once in a while around caves in Unova.

According to Bulbapedia, "Dust clouds are a phenomenon that only occurs in caves. It may reveal held items, evolutionary stones, or wild Drilbur and Excadrill."

I know when I first started playing my White version I thought the only thing they contained was the annoying Drilbur/Excadrill, but as I checked the Bulbapedia page on Phenomenon I realized that I could acquire some much needed evolutionary stones for my pokes.

I thought "easy enough" just walk around and wait for them to appear. What I didn't expect was how rare of an occurance they were, how common Drilbur/Excadrill were, and how you have all of the gems to sift through to get at the stones.

So has anyone had the chance to acquire some of these rare treasures from the clouds? Has anyone went on a Max Repel sweep trying to pick up some of those items (hopefully successful sweep unlike my sad attempt)? And also, have these clouds fustrated you with their amazing rarity?

I have Black and Black city so no problem with the Evo stones. The gems were easy to find while I didn't get Drilbur after aqcuiring 7 gems. Maybe is just luck

Last edited:
Umm. I have found at least 15 of every gem, at least 5 of every stone. But the one I need still won't show up :(

After 300+ Max Repels still no water stones. Or to a lesser extent, hard stones. I know im going to find a shiny Drilbur before I find a water stone:(

when i made a fake sweep through the final cave before the E4, i ran into a dust cloud by accident and found a thunder stone :( what's sad is i had to turn off my game cuz i sure as hell wasn't going to climb all the way back up just because of that.

its the only evo stone i've found i think though :( all the other times its only been gems <3 and drillbur :/

It was a surprise when I found out these dust clouds contain Evolution Stones, which gives me hope that they are at least more approachable than some other games. It was even more of a surprise to me to find out that Drilbur can only be found this way.

Thanks for reading.

I found more dust clouds than I have shaking patches of grass. :/ I made a fortune gathering jewels and stones to sell.

The first time I encountered a dust cloud, it turned out to be a Drilbur. :D After that, I just found a bunch of gems.

Aw, I loved my Drilbur . . . I named him Phylo. XD I never found any stones, just tons and tons of gems.

i have found 1 leaf stone, 2 sun stones, an 1 moon stone. I was there for hours before i gave up on getting a water stone

I've had 5 attempts at finding the stones I need (2 Sun Stones and a Thunder Stone) and each time I've used 50 max repels; so far I've only found 1 Leaf Stone, 1 Water Stone, 1 Fire Stone and 5 Everstones. I've had a myriad of gems and Drillbur/Excadrill though :/
The funny thing was I found a shiny Excadrill before finding the stones I need!

I always try to get the dust spots but when I'm trying to get it, the cave's inhabitants make it their mission to meet me. By the way, I'm pretty sure it took me 30 minutes in Wellspring cave trying to get a Drilbur for my team. Ran around waiting for the clouds to pop and then used a Repel to ensure I got to the spot without a pesky Woobat or Roggenrola.

I wasn't looking for anything. All I do is go to every single swirling dust clouds that appear before my presence and either get myself a Drilbur, a variety of gems and... Wait for it. Water stone. It's the only evolution stone I've got so far. Maybe 'tis true that we can't find things when we need them the most.

Trying to catch my first drillbur I spent 20+ repels in the underground water thingy. each cloud was a gem or a stone. I got quite a few, including a water stone (yippy!) finally getting my drillbur.

since then every cloud has been a drillbur/excadrill =p

I mostly get moon stones, but I did get a shiny stone once.

I have found the mole family, all the gems, and almost all the stones. The only ones that I did not find was the Water Stone and the Shiny Stone.

So has anyone had the chance to acquire some of these rare treasures from the clouds? Has anyone went on a Max Repel sweep trying to pick up some of those items (hopefully successful sweep unlike my sad attempt)? And also, have these clouds fustrated you with their amazing rarity?

To answer this:
- I think, repeat, think I might've found an Everstone, but I'm not sure.

- Nope, it's a waste of those, to me.

- Not really

All I've really found are Drilburs/Excadrills and many, many gems that I can sell.

I am so frustrated that so many people have found stones! I have White so I have to be very careful with the stones that I do use. I hate that, in my HG/SS, I have like 20 of each stone rotting in my Bag that I CAN'T TRANSFER. It all seems like a waste.

But as some have said, it's just luck and maybe today I will actually get something better than an Oval Stone.

All I needed was a water stone in order to evolve the water monkey for dex purpose ( I used my other water stone on a EV trained Cloyster)...it took about 300 Max Repels and 1 1/2 hours until I finally found the water stone. :/

The gems are easy to get, as are the moles but getting evo-stone can be a pain. At least I found several fire and sun stones while looking for the water stone.

I recommend the room at the Victory Road which contains Cheren. It is small enough to reach the dusk cloud without wasting too much steps for the max repel.

White is truely inferior to Black in this regard.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom