• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax Adventures

RC821

Reaction score
Since Crown Tundra is out, I caught one of the subjects of M04 (Suicune) after just 2 tries. For me, it was an okay feature in the Crown Tundra.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of Max Raid battles so I didn't think I'd like Dynamax Adventures, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. They've made a few improvements, giving the AI partners stronger Pokemon and getting rid of those frustrating shields the Dynamax Pokemon put up. I was expecting the legendary battles to be like 5 star raids - almost impossible without the help of real players - but I've managed to catch Zapdos and Tapu Koko so far.

I'm a little frustrated with Max Lair Adventures, to be honest.

I haven't even continued the plot in favor of spamming it for a Mewtwo but after more than 10 adventures, at least 50% of them have been repeats of previous encounters. Only 2 or 3 of them have even been psychic types.

While I understand that some of the mechanics such as shuffling the Dynamax and the timers are sensible means of efficiency amongst real players, it's wasteful and hindering when alone with AI since the AI characters don't Dynamax nor care how long you take to make a decision.

I also don't appreciate that we can't reset the game to search for a desired type encounter (I tried, but the scientist chastised me for ditching my team even though I've only used AI teams thus far and just sent me back into the same adventure I reset out of) and that it doesn't provide Pokeballs like the Safari Zone and Bug Catching Contest of the early generations. I've had to restock my Pokeballs at least 3 times so far. I have plenty of money but still.

Ultimately, it devalues legendaries with how easily accessible literally every single one is here apart from the random roster.

There are some positives as well, however.
I like that other rare Pokemon are exclusive to this concept such as other generation starters and the elimination of the shields the regular raid Pokemon put up which are extremely irritating and unethical with a ten turn/3 faint mechanic.

EDIT: Welp, got my Mewtwo. I think I might be done here now.

Last edited:
Ultimately, it devalues legendaries with how easily accessible literally every single one is here apart from the random roster.

I hear this rhetoric a lot and I really disagree - by this point I think the only players who haven’t experienced these legendaries are kids playing for the first time and while the dynamax adventures can theoretically be accessed early in the game to do so requires beating Peony with two level 70 Pokémon which for most kids would put this as post game content.

Plus given that Pokémon Bank and Home have long made it easy to save Pokémon when wiping a game frankly Legendaries have been pretty easy to farm for a while - this way it’s just less time consuming.

Also it’s quite a fun (albeit time consuming) way to shiny hunt legendaries - I’ve only ever SRed for Articuno in Ultra Sun and Celebi on VC Crystal (which I still haven’t got yet) and despite not yet getting any shiny legendaries from the dynamax adventures I’m enjoying it a lot more than constant SRing.

EDIT to add- I actually think that Legendaries being added into the main story with incredibly easy catch rates did more to “devalue” legendaries than any of the post/side story legendary hunting opportunities ever had.

Personally I don't think that a Legendary's "value" stems from having egregiously low catch rates... though at the same time, I do think that having them be a practical insta-catch like Reshiram/Zekrom isn't helpful, either, unless it's made up for by some massive spectacle like with Eternatus. I see more "value" as being imbued by the what exactly you have to do to obtain them. I vastly prefer things like the original Regi puzzle, the Zygarde cell hunt, tracking the Swords of Justice footprints, chasing the Galarian birds, and the resource-management gauntlet of Dynamax Adventures. A storyline such as the Delta Episode or Nebby's arc can also work well. I believe that presentation goes a lot further in making these Pokémon feel special than making them tedious to pin down and catch.

Equally, I also don't think simply having them not be available actually makes them "rare"; as Shib said, all that really does is create a disparity between players who've played older games and had chances to encounter those Legendaries before, and new players who haven't been given that same opportunity. Besides, I wouldn't say that a Legendary sitting in your box is doing all that much to prove its "value" - what's useful in practice about most Legendaries is their proficiency in battle and their high stats. So again that goes back to that legacy player bias. It's important to let newer players have access to these Pokémon and be able to use their power for themselves; otherwise it's largely just an unfair perk of being a long-time player. The only way to really make Legendaries rarer would be to institute a (semi-)unfarmable artificial scarcity system like they do with Mythical Pokémon.

to do so requires beating Peony with two level 70 Pokémon which for most kids would put this as post game content.

I'm fairly sure you can lose to him and still continue on to the Max Lair. (I sort of tried testing this myself with a team I had that was in the Lv40s, but I accidentally managed to scrape out a win, so I can't verify it for certain.)

To put it simply, I think that—to me—the value lies in the fact that legendaries are one-per-savefile. I’d rather not transfer from generation to generation but instead have the Pokémon in both games.

Thus, I don’t think D.A. does anything to devalue legendary Pokémon, though I do wish that maybe each encounter was more unique somehow.

I'm fairly sure you can lose to him and still continue on to the Max Lair. (I sort of tried testing this myself with a team I had that was in the Lv40s, but I accidentally managed to scrape out a win, so I can't verify it for certain.)

Silly me, I made an assumption- seems to me requiring a win against Peony would have been an easy way to stop players going straight to the dynamax adventure and nabbing overpowered legendaries for their team before doing a single gym. (Or maybe silly gamefreak for not putting in that super obvious roadblock :p )

Honestly I see no difference between Zekrom/Reshiram’s super easy catch and Eternatus’ guaranteed catch as part of the story, but I guess that’s just my preference for Legendaries not being connected to the main story - personal preference and all that.

I really love Dynamax Adventures. It's a fun way to capture Legendary Pokemon. I'm glad that they are instant catches since one of the frustrating aspects of Max Raid Battles comes from how you can spend a lot of time battling a Pokemon only for it to escape. I've only found one Shiny Pokemon thus far, but none of the Legendary Pokemon have been Shiny yet.

I really wish that I knew about how you can only take the Legendary Pokemon home once. I've already caught a ton of them in Sword. I thought that I could just catch them again another time. It makes sense for people to only take a Legendary Pokemon back with them once, but I just wish that it was clearer in the game. I've been so focused on just trying to find Shiny Pokemon that I didn't realize that rule. I can at least Shiny Hunt for the Legendary Pokemon in Shield since I haven't started the Crown Tundra there yet, but not getting the Sword version exclusive Legendary Pokemon shiny is a big disappointment. I was really hoping to Shiny Hunt for a Shiny Solgaleo and now I can't do that. After missing out on the Shiny Solgaleo and Lunala event last year, I'm really disappointed about that.

I hate this with all of my being.
I never liked max raid battles to being with, but this is a horrible way to shiny hunt. I never thought I'd ever say this but playing with NPCs is better than with real people. At least they never heal the dynamax pokemon. I kid you not some random person chose a chansey and kept using Heal Pulse on the Dynamax pokemon. IDK if he/she was trolling us but it was so annoying and there's nothing you can do about it.

Another advantage to playing solo is that you and only you can choose what pokemon to face next. I've had several runs with other players who choose to fight mons that are strong against most of the team...

Also, there are some really bad rental pokémon. If they didn't want us to run over every den they should've just not allowed legendaries and have some sort of level cap and let us use our own pokémon. But as it stands I really hate it.

And I guess I've been really unlucky since I've been doing like 30 runs since yesterday and haven't found a single shiny.

I wish they didn’t treat the Ultra Beasts like Legendary Pokémon when the previous generation didn’t count them as such, especially in regards to actually capturing them. Otherwise, Dynamax Adventures is pretty fun. It’s essentially a combination of Max Raid Battles, Emerald’s Battle Pike, and the Battle Factory, with the added bonus of being able to take one the Pokémon with you at the end.

I wish they didn’t treat the Ultra Beasts like Legendary Pokémon when the previous generation didn’t count them as such, especially in regards to actually capturing them.

I'm okay with Dynamax Adventures being the method for obtaining them, but I do wish that they were repeatable like in USUM. I think having only one of each being available does kinda reduce them to feeling like "Legendaries, but just a bit weirder looking."

After all, several of the UBs share this entry in the USUM Pokédex: "Although it's alien to this world and a danger here, it's apparently a common organism in the world where it normally lives." I like when they emphasize that, as I think it helps to sell the concept a bit more. These beast have power similar to that of lower-level Legendaries, but that's because they come from strange worlds where the logic is different, where the ecological equivalent of a Rattata can be a bizarre and powerful creature.

Actually, while on the topic, probably one of my few big disappointments with the Crown Tundra is that we didn't get any new UBs. While new Ultra Beasts certainly wouldn't have a place in most contexts, this expansion already decided to reimagine the Kanto birds with new forms, and also went back and added two new retroactive Regis in order to serve as the backbone for two of the major quests. So clearly they were okay with retreading old grounds for new content here. As a result, 3 of the 4 quests offer something new to players: Sovereign and Steed gives you two new Pokémon altogether, Terrible Titans has a new Regi, and A Legendary Tree has the new Kanto birds, but Ultra Beyond is all just the same UBs as before. I think they could have dropped in one or two new ones to add a little more incentive for completing the quest. Maybe have those new UBs be the completion requirement rather than plain old Necrozma. I still want a cool Ice-type UB.

Last edited:
To be honest, these were fun the first week. After, they become as much as a drag as Max Raid Battles.

Kind of wish the Ultra BEasts appeared in the Tundra's overworld though. They are not legendaries (They are pretty much implied to be regular Pokémon from their dimension but jsut that the powerlevel is not comparable to the regular Pokémon World's.) yet they are here and only 1 copy a save. Bit of an odd choice.

To be honest, these were fun the first week. After, they become as much as a drag as Max Raid Battles.

Kind of wish the Ultra BEasts appeared in the Tundra's overworld though. They are not legendaries (They are pretty much implied to be regular Pokémon from their dimension but jsut that the powerlevel is not comparable to the regular Pokémon World's.) yet they are here and only 1 copy a save. Bit of an odd choice.

They aren’t legendaries, but they serve a similar purpose; limited in number, part of the storyline in the games they debuted in, and require part of that storyline to be completed before they can be battled. So it makes sense why they were given the legendary treatment in CT.

Also, iirc, they’re part of “handwave” to explain why the other legendaries are in Galar.

They aren’t legendaries, but they serve a similar purpose; limited in number, part of the storyline in the games they debuted in, and require part of that storyline to be completed before they can be battled. So it makes sense why they were given the legendary treatment in CT.
But, in USUM, all the old Ultra Beasts outside of Guzzlord weren’t limited in number.

Edit: Guzzlord is also infinite too.

Last edited:
But, in USUM, all the old Ultra Beasts outside of Guzzlord weren’t limited in number.

Guzzlord’s not limited in USUM either, it’s just very hard to take advantage of that since its wormholes are so rare.

As I said before DA are great. It's fast paced, engaging and very rewarding because of the shinies (even if I've yet to find one) and the legendaries. I prefer sitting through battles rather than through an extremely unfair minigame (looking at you Ultra Warp Ride). And unlike that terrible feature you at least have a way to control what you want.

However, the infinite mode is...meh. I thought that every 4 battles you could control what Pokes you want to keep, but...nope, catching is disabled. :bulbaFacepalm: Those are 25 minutes and 6 Pokeballs I'll never get back. It seems just made for people who have nothing better to do (like most infinite modes in videogames, if we're honest) or for those who want to grind Dynite Ore.

Anyway, I guess my most interesting anecdote is with Suicune, which was my first encounter. It beat me, but I beat it the second time thanks to an extremely useful Storm Drain Maractus. Also, I got Necrozma right after Lunala, which I doubt is a coincidence.

By the way, does anyone knows how to join someone else's adventure? Both Bulbapedia and Serebii have zero information about it.

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone knows how to join someone else's adventure? Both Bulbapedia and Serebii have zero information about it.
It happens randomly whenever you choose an end boss or select the “random” option . As far as I’m aware, you can’t choose who’s adventure you go on. You’ll just automatically be grouped with people who are on the road to find the same Legendary Pokémon. Sometimes, you’ll get lucky and find the opposite version’s legendary though.

As I said before DA are great. It's fast paced, engaging and very rewarding because of the shinies (even if I've yet to find one) and the legendaries. I prefer sitting through battles rather than through an extremely unfair minigame (looking at you Ultra Warp Ride). And unlike that terrible feature you at least have a way to control what you want.

Tbf, Ultra Warp Ride had relatively easy Shinies as well.

Still, while I actually liked the wormhole minigame, it was way too random and easy to mess up. Dynamax Adventures are clearly trying to address some of those problems. Like, how even if you lose against a DA Legendary, you get to record 3 up to paths so that you can try again for that one as soon as you want instead of having to hope you get the right wormhole to spawn again and having to hope you don't screw up and hit too many electric orbs.

Also, DA has just 8 version-exclusive pairs (Ho-Oh/Lugia, Latios/Latias, Groudon/Kyogre, Dialga/Palkia, Tornadus/Thundurus, Reshiram/Zekrom, Xerneas/Yveltal, and Solgaleo/Lunala) whereas UWR had 11 (Raikou/Entei, Ho-Oh/Lugia, Latios/Latias, Groudon/Kyogre, Dialga/Palkia, Heatran/Regigigas, Tornadus/Thundurus, Reshiram/Zekrom, Xerneas/Yveltal, Buzzwole/Pheromosa, and Kartana/Celesteela); plus with DA, everyone can access Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina, Landorus, and Kyurem without needing both of their corresponding trio members. So that's pretty nice.

I think you've got to use Link Codes. See this picture:

dynamaxendless.jpg

There's that text at the bottom saying to press + to set or enter a Link Code.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom