• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Another thing that’s a bit nitpicky but still bugs me nonetheless:

What do we call a Gigantamax Pokémon? “Gigantamax + Pokémon Name”? “Giganta + Pokémon Name”? They just don’t roll off the tongue like “Mega” does and are so much longer. I guess it could be “Giga” which would be better, but I feel like that wouldn’t really work because the mechanic is called “Gigantamax” not “Gigamax”.

Edit: Maybe “G-Pokémon Name”? That’s still pretty lame, tho.

Another thing that’s a bit nitpicky but still bugs me nonetheless:

What do we call a Gigantamax Pokémon? “Gigantamax + Pokémon Name”? “Giganta + Pokémon Name”? They just don’t roll off the tongue like “Mega” does and are so much longer. I guess it could be “Giga” which would be better, but I feel like that wouldn’t really work because the mechanic is called “Gigantamax” not “Gigamax”.

Edit: Maybe “G-Pokémon Name”? That’s still pretty lame, tho.

Officially, it's "Gigantamax [Pokémon name]".

As far as conventional usage goes, one could probably consider the Smogon style of "[Pokémon name]-G", or just call them "G-Max [Pokémon name]", in keeping with G-Max moves.

Theoretically they could make G-max stones like megastones... Then problem would be solve in future. You would need to get the stone only.

I guess Gigantamax being available to only special Pokémon if some species will be the excuse for removing it in Gen XI.
Also, don't the Max Moves look broken?
No if you take that they work like Z-moves with pokemon that are 3turns change.
This would maybe even make Mega Rayquaza and others come back into main play?

If the move is strong and has a good effect its great. Hope that D-max and some G-max moves will retain their base effects + something. Like Guard max could be thr effect effect of a stats move+like protect.

Only hope they think about ability and type change for G-max pokemon. They get 3 turns. Stats is great but 3 turns.

Interesting how to catch a G-max pokemon? And if you want to D-max or G-max a pokemon that sleeps then will it wake up?

G-max Slaking that could have different ability and move for 3 turns would be great.

Interesting what happens with D-max and G-max pokemon? They could tell about turn limits and if G-max faints after those 3 turns in regular battles? How they react to status like burn, freeze,sleep and others when transformed with them and when you try to inflict them on them.
Like when u use will-o-wisp on one?

Last edited:
Theoretically they could make G-max stones like megastones... Then problem would be solve in future. You would need to get the stone only.
but why would they? the whole concept is already tied to specific locations in the game and only lasts three turns, and it's not quite as powerful as Megas are, it seems. So why introduce an extra hurdle

but why would they? the whole concept is already tied to specific locations in the game and only lasts three turns, and it's not quite as powerful as Megas are, it seems. So why introduce an extra hurdle

We dont know that. G-max and D-max is a mystery till they show us all about it. Locations for rade battles against token like pokemon. There is a info they have different stones/cristals

You can use them in gyms that means something. G-max seems stronger not only in appearence.

We will see. Have a weird feeling they want to tie it with gen 4 and anime where we saw Dragonite, Alakazam and Gengar in giant forms. Looks like ancient mechanic.

We dont know that. G-max and D-max is a mystery till they show us all about it. Locations for rade battles against token like pokemon. There is a info they have different stones/cristals

You can use them in gyms that means something. G-max seems stronger not only in appearence.

We will see. Have a weird feeling they want to tie it with gen 4 and anime where we saw Dragonite, Alakazam and Gengar in giant forms. Looks like ancient mechanic.
from the official site:

"Dynamax is a phenomenon unique to specific locations in the Galar region, where Pokémon are able to take on gigantic appearances. Pokémon from the Galar region are capable of Dynamaxing, and the Dynamax Pokémon become tremendously strong."

Nothing about crystals or stones or gems or any other kind of item you need besides the dynamax band. So I doubt they're introducing extra items.

from the official site:

"Dynamax is a phenomenon unique to specific locations in the Galar region, where Pokémon are able to take on gigantic appearances. Pokémon from the Galar region are capable of Dynamaxing, and the Dynamax Pokémon become tremendously strong."

Nothing about crystals or stones or gems or any other kind of item you need besides the dynamax band. So I doubt they're introducing extra items.
Now they added info about G-max

from the official site:

Dynamax Crystals actually are a thing, but they seem to be used to trigger specific pokemon for Max Raids, rather than being held items.

If G-max now exists, does Mega Evolution tie into that...?
I'm gonna say no... because Mega Evolution is an entirely different mechanic. It doesn't last only three turns, it doesn't change a pokemon's moves, and it does change abilities as well as some pokemon's types.

Dynamax Crystals actually are a thing, but they seem to be used to trigger specific pokemon for Max Raids, rather than being held items.
Oh yes, but we were talking items necessary for pokemon to D/G-max, when the mechanic itself is already tied to specific locations in-game. I simply don't see why you'd also require a held item in that case
Now they added info about G-max
I had to dig a little for it, but Mega Stones were announced practically alongside the introduction to Mega Evolution (Not counting the teasers). I checked serebii for to find the CoroCoro scans, you can find it published on the 9th. And while they could absolutely still announce plenty of things regarding Dyna/Gigantamaxing, why skip one of the basics of the mechanic for so long?

Oh yes, but we were talking items necessary for pokemon to D/G-max, when the mechanic itself is already tied to specific locations in-game. I simply don't see why you'd also require a held item in that case

I had to dig a little for it, but Mega Stones were announced practically alongside the introduction to Mega Evolution (Not counting the teasers). I checked serebii for to find the CoroCoro scans, you can find it published on the 9th. And while they could absolutely still announce plenty of things regarding Dyna/Gigantamaxing, why skip one of the basics of the mechanic for so long?
I found it on main pokemon site and pokejungle

Does anybody else thinks that Dynamax is an artifical mechanic created by Rose and Oleana and exploited by them?

According to the information so far, Dynamax can only occur in Gyms and specific locations which (aside from perhaps real-life technical issues in having it at any time) seems to hint that this may be artificially controlled only in certain environments (unless it ends up being tied to large concentrations of crystals, since mining and crystals appears to be something big in Galar and perhaps what drives(d) the region.

Secondly, it only lasts three turns...which means that this is another phenomenon that will be explained like Megas or it was perhaps copied from Megas by Rose and Olenana (due to the proximity of Kalos).

I also think that Oleana has a scientist vibe, she seems to be the brain behind Rose and the mastermind behind Dynamax, just like Lusamine turned out to be a villain, while Rose just ripped the profits and had the know-how to turn it into a business with the League. I know that almost every time, the regional Professor is studying something new (just like at the beggining there were only 151 Pkmn XD ) but Dynamax seems something "new" for Prof. Magnolia to study. I don't know if the Dugtrio statue and the hill sillouette are ancient stuff to explain the origins of Dynamax (most likely) or if Dynamax started as something like Totem Pkmn and was expanded and exploited.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have yet to have any explaination to the cloud like stuff that floats around Dymanaxed Pkmn and I think that it may serve as a countdown mechanic as to know how many turns the Pkmn can have. Last but not least, I get a really bad vibe from Dynamax, from the use of red or dark pink (Shield?)that it's used and we all know how GF is with associating colours, hinting that this may have an evil root. Perhaps after defeating the evil team, it'll have another colour (Sword's blue).

It's a cool idea, but there's still that hill mural depicting it, which would make it seem more ancient:
Dynamaxing also happens in Raid Battles, which are in the Wild Area-not really the best place to artificially control something.

I also don't really see Game Freak making one version the "evil" version-that'd imply that people were doing the wrong thing by picking it. (Plus, wouldn't Red and Ruby be considered the more evil versions in that case?)

It has been confirmed that the clouds are a countdown, though.

Does anybody else thinks that Dynamax is an artifical mechanic created by Rose and Oleana and exploited by them?

According to the information so far, Dynamax can only occur in Gyms and specific locations which (aside from perhaps real-life technical issues in having it at any time) seems to hint that this may be artificially controlled only in certain environments (unless it ends up being tied to large concentrations of crystals, since mining and crystals appears to be something big in Galar and perhaps what drives(d) the region.

Secondly, it only lasts three turns...which means that this is another phenomenon that will be explained like Megas or it was perhaps copied from Megas by Rose and Olenana (due to the proximity of Kalos).

I also think that Oleana has a scientist vibe, she seems to be the brain behind Rose and the mastermind behind Dynamax, just like Lusamine turned out to be a villain, while Rose just ripped the profits and had the know-how to turn it into a business with the League. I know that almost every time, the regional Professor is studying something new (just like at the beggining there were only 151 Pkmn XD ) but Dynamax seems something "new" for Prof. Magnolia to study. I don't know if the Dugtrio statue and the hill sillouette are ancient stuff to explain the origins of Dynamax (most likely) or if Dynamax started as something like Totem Pkmn and was expanded and exploited.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have yet to have any explaination to the cloud like stuff that floats around Dymanaxed Pkmn and I think that it may serve as a countdown mechanic as to know how many turns the Pkmn can have. Last but not least, I get a really bad vibe from Dynamax, from the use of red or dark pink (Shield?)that it's used and we all know how GF is with associating colours, hinting that this may have an evil root. Perhaps after defeating the evil team, it'll have another colour (Sword's blue).
I don't believe that it is created by them, only exploited.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom