• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

520 BST is literally around starter stats dude. Also there's 48 mega forms in total, you're think oh how many pokemon that can mega evolve.
Yeah, that's why I picked that number? There's only 44 Pokemon with BSTs above 520 that aren't starters, UBs, legendaries, or megas-out of 800+ Pokemon, that relatively high to me. I figured we were focusing on what Pokemon can mega evolve because we were talking about the base stats they had before then-even though Mewtwo can have two different forms, it still only has one original set of base stats.

Yeah, that's why I picked that number? There's only 44 Pokemon with BSTs above 520 that aren't starters, UBs, legendaries, or megas-out of 800+ Pokemon, that relatively high to me. I figured we were focusing on what Pokemon can mega evolve because we were talking about the base stats they had before then-even though Mewtwo can have two different forms, it still only has one original set of base stats.
Hm, you know what you're right. Still thought even with high BSTs some pokemon still need the boost to gain relevance and usage.

I really hope Flygon gets a G-Max since it got jipped out of a Mega due to artist’s block
You and me both. I’m also hoping that rumor about Laura’s getting a G-Max form is real as well. This might be a stretch but I think it would be amazing if Raichu got a G-Max form that has the design Gorochu was gonna have.

Hm, you know what you're right. Still thought even with high BSTs some pokemon still need the boost to gain relevance and usage.
I guess I can see that with some of them (like, apparently Charizard was considered underused by Smogon in the BW era? That honestly shocked me), but there were others like Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Blaziken, etc. that seemed to be doing just fine without megas. Some of the others did get a boost, but I don't think it was really the main goal of the mechanic.

Do you guys think that they will use the already existing Megas as G-Max forms for the Pokemon? (for example, the G-Max form of Steelix would just be the mega Steelix design)

I guess I can see that with some of them (like, apparently Charizard was considered underused by Smogon in the BW era? That honestly shocked me), but there were others like Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Blaziken, etc. that seemed to be doing just fine without megas. Some of the others did get a boost, but I don't think it was really the main goal of the mechanic.
I recommend watching videos from False Swipe Gaming, and his How Good Was series. Where he dives into the usage history of pokemon throughout the years. And some pokemon that got megas were starting to have a bit of a fall out or just barely reach top tier due to checks or being outmatched compared to others till megas saved em in time. Seriously though watch those vids they are interesting

Do you guys think that they will use the already existing Megas as G-Max forms for the Pokemon? (for example, the G-Max form of Steelix would just be the mega Steelix design)
I kinda doubt it, cause Megas and G-Maxes are different design aspect wise. While megas are evolved forms fueled by friendship, G-Max are more or less mutations triggered by a source of energy. So it's not the same and I doubt would trigger evolution.

I definitely don’t think so. They said Megas weren’t in the game, and I don’t think that means they’re in the game but under a different name. Additionally, G-Maxing seems to have a lot of differences to Mega Evolution mechanically.

Definitely not. It would be confusing to use the same designs for a different mechanic, especially considering that Mega Steelix has already been branded as Mega Steelix- they couldn't really sell merchandise calling it Gigantamax Steelix when it has already been Mega Steelix.

I definitely think some G-Maxes should get Type and/or Ability changes. Otherwise, it’s just barely less bland than Dynamax’s “u get big for 3 turns”. Max moves don’t make things that much more interesting either since most of them are just the same generic move depending on the Type. I guess some of them will have unique ones like Alcremie’s “Calorie Missile” or whatever that was, but I’d rather have some changes to the Pokémon’s overall design rather than its moves.
It also wouldn't make much sense to change type just for three turns.
I think that both of the these points are something that could be addressed in a roundabout way:

You need to catch a specific instance of a species that is capable of Gigantamax through Max Raid Battles, correct? Well, what if Pokémon from previous generations that fall under those parameters have a different type or ability from the get-go? For example, a Gigantamax-compatible Drifblim would have Flash Fire, but this wouldn’t be restricted to its Gigantamax form: it’s the standard ability for these special Drifblim in place of its other abilities. It would give players more incentive to catch a Pokémon capable of Gigantamax beyond just accessing a specific design and move.

I only specified previous generations getting such perks since it the Gen 8 species haven’t been shown to have any type or ability changes through Gigantamax thus far.

I think that both of the these points are something that could be addressed in a roundabout way:

You need to catch a specific instance of a species that is capable of Gigantamax through Max Raid Battles, correct? Well, what if Pokémon from previous generations that fall under those parameters have a different type or ability from the get-go? For example, a Gigantamax-compatible Drifblim would have Flash Fire, but this wouldn’t be restricted to its Gigantamax form: it’s the standard ability for these special Drifblim in place of its other abilities. It would give players more incentive to catch a Pokémon capable of Gigantamax beyond just accessing a specific design and move.

I only specified previous generations getting such perks since it the Gen 8 species haven’t been shown to have any type or ability changes through Gigantamax thus far.
Abilities have kind of already done this with Hidden Abilities, but I wouldn’t mind if that were expanded. Could be cool to see some old Pokémon getting more new Abilities. It could certainly shake up the meta.
As for type, I don’t think I would like that personally just because if the Pokémon is getting a Gigantamax form, it shouldn’t also be getting an alternate form along with that.

Interesting if G-max will be switch, stats change, or stats inducing proof in comparance to D-max?

maybe time to discuss Counter strategies to both?

-Switching moves
-a ghost using Curse
-Perish song
__
  • faster turn passing if its possible (if they create moves and abilities that make 2-3 turns count as one)
  • inducing status conditions?
-making them flinch?
-disabling it's moves(Disable, Cursed body and if they create more moves that would disable)
- type and ability based immunities
-Shedinja
-Protect and Shieding(worser if G-max moves all break through them like Phantom Force)
-trapping the oponent and forcing to recharge a turn(moves and abilities that would make the oponent need to recharge a turn)

Interesting if Dito can copy such a form? Imagine your oponent has his last turn and you copy it?

Hmmm Alcremies G-max move will be blocked by Heal Block?

Last edited:
-Switching moves
-a ghost using Curse
-Perish song

Nice. Definitely what I thought of first as well. I believe unlike Megas, they might lose their Giga-max forme (too big to fit inside their Pokéball. I mean, I'd be pretty impressed if they can fit a 100-foot cake into a capsule!)

worser if G-max moves all break through them like Phantom Force

Oh no pls no. Although seeing how D-Max/G-Max only last for 3 turns, T1 Protect T3 Protect is a pretty valid stalling strategy, provided you can hard read or swoop into a coincidence.

Interesting if Dito can copy such a form? Imagine your oponent has his last turn and you copy it?

The day Ditto gets into competitive is the day I finally give up chocolate NEVER!
But it would be really cool to see the interaction for sure.

Awesome analyses!

Nice. Definitely what I thought of first as well. I believe unlike Megas, they might lose their Giga-max forme (too big to fit inside their Pokéball. I mean, I'd be pretty impressed if they can fit a 100-foot cake into a capsule!)

worser if G-max will be immune to roar, whirlwind, dragon tail , ... and only if trainer self switches...
D-max forms maybe still be switchable but something needs to be different between them.

Oh no pls no. Although seeing how D-Max/G-Max only last for 3 turns, T1 Protect T3 Protect is a pretty valid stalling strategy, provided you can hard read or swoop into a coincidence.

Could be like with Thunder and rainy weather that have higher chance of breaking through them.

Hmmm someone else thinks that legendaries will have G-max forms that will activate via signature move like with Mega Ryquaza signature move?

Last edited:
Hmmm someone else things that legendaries will have G-max forms that will activate via signature move like with Mega Ryquaza signature move?
Considering you don't need a held item to activate Max forms, I don't see why this would be needed.

"Gigantic" and "Max"
Obviously, but Giga derives from gigas meaning "giant" so the term could have been shortened to Gigamax and been far less of a mouthful.

Considering you don't need a held item to activate Max forms, I don't see why this would be needed.

Obviously, but Giga derives from gigas meaning "giant" so the term could have been shortened to Gigamax and been far less of a mouthful.
Let me tell you the japanese translation. The japanese name for dynamaxing is Daimax (Dai=big or grand + Max) and Gigantamax is Kyodaimax (Kyodai = huge or gigantic + Max)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom