• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Let me tell you the japanese translation. The japanese name for dynamaxing is Daimax (Dai=big or grand + Max) and Gigantamax is Kyodaimax (Kyodai = huge or gigantic + Max)
@Oriden stole the words out of my mouth! The Japanese root really doesn’t matter in this case, since shortening to 'Gigamax' would keep the same origin, while being much less of a mouthful.

I'm just saying that the names are just remaining consistent. Plus to me 4 syllables doesn't sound like too much to say. Even Mega Evolution in total is 6

I'm just saying that the names are just remaining consistent. Plus to me 4 syllables doesn't sound like too much to say. Even Mega Evolution in total is 6
'Gigamax' would be just as consistent as 'Gigantamax', though. And how you place the syllables matters as much as the name. "Mega Evolution" is nice and simple as it’s literally the word "Mega" in front of "evolution", both fairly simple words,

"Gigantamax" was just weird to me ever since the leaks, and was hoping it was some kind of mistranslation. But oh well...

idk Gigantamax sounds a lot better to me

Think it's the long vowel sounds giving it more oomph, but i also suspect it's meant to sound bigger and more exaggerated than Dynamax

and maybe it's just synesthesia acting up but Gigamax sounds too jiggly to me. too close to the word giggle and doesn't have any firm, hard vowels to give it a solid foundation. also "Giganta" immediately conveys size in my head whereas "Giga," although it does share the same root, has been so genericized over time and equated with the superlative likes of Ultra and Mega that it just makes me think of something vaguely more powerful, not necessarily overtly size-based

My hypothesis is that us Brits prefer Gigantamax to Gigamax whereas it's the other way around for Americans. We love pronouncing the 't' as a 't' and I guess that's what makes the difference...

My hypothesis is that us Brits prefer Gigantamax to Gigamax whereas it's the other way around for Americans. We love pronouncing the 't' as a 't' and I guess that's what makes the difference...
I'm neither Brit nor American but I’ve grown up using British English and use the British spellings even when both variations are accepted in our exams, and I prefer Gigamax...

If it’s about accents, from what I’ve heard there’s enough variety in accents even in the Western Hemisphere that such a generalisation would be difficult to make.

I'm neither Brit nor American but I’ve grown up using British English and use the British spellings even when both variations are accepted in our exams, and I prefer Gigamax...

If it’s about accents, from what I’ve heard there’s enough variety in accents even in the Western Hemisphere that such a generalisation would be difficult to make.

My hypothesis is in general, of course, and given most Brits know how to speak Received Pronunciation I won't categorise them

In general, of course.
There’s still enough variation in British and American accent for such a connection, I think. And that’s not even counting people who're speaking a mish-mash of accents xd

The fact that we’re supposed to call the Pokémon "Gigantamax x” adds to the difficulty in rolling off the tongue imo.

Gigantamax doesn't roll off the tongue well for me, and it gets worse when you treat it as a verb. "Gigantamaxed" and "Gigantamaxing" are just... ugh. Uuuuuuugh.

i guess i have a weird tongue, though i'm not sure the tongue is the big factor here. "Gigamax" is too throaty for my liking; Gigantamax is all in the mouth

I'm american but I prefer Gigantamax :lapras:

i guess i have a weird tongue, though i'm not sure the tongue is the big factor here. "Gigamax" is too throaty for my liking; Gigantamax is all in the mouth
I think it's partly the repeated a-sound that gets me? Like it's a very prominent and swiftly repeated "ah" that is just too much "ah-ah-ah" to me. I don't like it all in the mouth, it feels very blah.

Plus adding the pokemon's name on the end- Gigantamax Corviknight, Gigantamax Alcremie. It's too much to read, to say, to look at- it's just too much.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Ditto tries to copy a Max pokemon, since it was able to copy Mega forms... assuming they didn't cut Ditto from the pokedex this time purely to avoid that.
But wouldn't that make breeding certain species like the starters a pain? Or would they just cut out breeding altogether at this point?

I unironically love that we're willing to discuss the linguistics of Poke-terms so much.

But wouldn't that make breeding certain species like the starters a pain? Or would they just cut out breeding altogether at this point?
I don't think breeding's really a priority for them. We're already getting Pokemon cut that would make egg moves harder, so making it hard to find mothers for some species doesn't seem like that big a step further.

Maybe we'll get a new pokemon that doesn't transform whose entire gimmick is just the ability to breed offspring that are the same species as the male? XD

And @Knightwolf09 has a point about Home. If you can breed there, then that could wind up the expected go-to for breeding starters and the like.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom