• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Remember the good ol days when people thought megas were unoriginal or a ripoff of digimon? Now people dislike Dynamax or gigantamax for not being that said unoriginal feature.
I mean, these are different people with different opinions, but even if SpinyShell was part of the group saying Megas were unoriginal, the complaint right now isn't that Dynamax and Gigantamax aren't Megas, it's that they're too similar to it.

I mean, these are different people with different opinions, but even if SpinyShell was part of the group saying Megas were unoriginal, the complaint right now isn't that Dynamax and Gigantamax aren't Megas, it's that they're too similar to it.

Maybe there's a lore reason for that similarity. I hope for.

I mean it's relatively the same complaint. Cause they feel it cant compare despite being similar so it makes people like it less

I mean it's relatively the same complaint. Cause they feel it cant compare despite being similar so it makes people like it less

I disagree, though they are rather similar. One complaint is comparing features from two separate franchises that were implemented far apart from each other. The other is comparing two features from the same franchise that were implemented close together. Not only that, but I feel there's greater similarity between Megas and Gigantamax than Megas and Digivolution.

Plus, I don't mean that Gigantamax can't compare to Megas when I say that I'm not a fan of how similar they are to Megas.

Last edited:
GameFreak seems to like to have one main gimmick per generation. That's why only Z-moves, not Z-moves and Megas, have the focus in gen 7 and (most likely) one of the reasons why both Z-moves and Megas are not present in SwSh. USUM didn't give us new Megas--heck not even LGPE gave us new Megas, which I think is a pretty clear indicator that they're no longer the focus and therefore won't make a reappearance--they gave us new Z-moves.
And Game Freak really needs to stop doing that: just pick a power-up mechanic/gimmick and stick with it.

But then that gets boring fast with nothing that makes the game stand out. Which they want to avoid.
I think that there's better ways to make the games stand out than throwing away one power up mechanic for a different one every generation. Fro example, they could always introduce more side features like Contests and Pokeéathlon to to give us more content. WE haven't really gotten stuff like that outside lately (not accounting for ORAS which was a Hoenn remake). Heck, I think that they can achieve the same effect of avoiding monotony by rotating between the different power-ups they already got.

Sure, Game Freak's current approach might seem like a good idea now, but one power-up per generation runs the risk of burning out their ideas quicker than just sticking with something for a few generations. Game Freak need to think about adding some long-term substance to their games instead of short-term surprises.

Last edited:
But then that gets boring fast with nothing that makes the game stand out. Which they want to avoid
We lasted five generations and fifteen years without the likes of Z-Moves and Megas. Why are they now suddenly a necessity? Aren't dozens of Pokemon, a new region, and a new story enough to make games distinct?

I think that there's better ways to make the games stand out than throwing away one power up mechanic for a different one every generation. Fro example, they could always introduce more side features like Contests and Pokeéathlon to to give us more content. WE haven't really gotten stuff like that outside lately (not accounting for ORAS which was a Hoenn remake). Heck, I think that they can achieve the same effect of avoiding monotony by rotating between the different power-ups they already got.

Sure, Game Freak's current approach might seem like a good idea now, but one power-up per generation runs the risk of burning out their ideas quicker than just sticking with something for a few generations. Game Freak need to think ab out adding some long-term substance to their games instead of short-term surprises.
Long term is just as easy to fall in a trap of dulling out a game. Not to mention I only ever hear a minority that actually like constests or pokeathalon, which is nothing but side content, it didn't really make the region have it's own identity or culture, especially since contests were done twice in a row.

We lasted five generations and fifteen years without the likes of Z-Moves and Megas. Why are they now suddenly a necessity? Aren't dozens of Pokemon, a new region, and a new story enough to make games distinct?
Ha! Why do you think some people came up with the argument that each pokemon is essentially the same to begin with? Without mentioning any side features, or the pokemon, tell what makes each individual region stand out from the other?

It seems like they have been focusing more on the competitive play with the ranking features, nature changing, new abilities, and new items. I think that Game Freak may be trying to make a more strategic and complex mechanic to even out some of the imbalances Megas and z-moves had in the competitive field. With Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing you take pieces from each to make a more fleshed out and exciting meta game. For example:

1. Any Pokemon can do it so you can’t know exactly which one of your opponents Pokemon will be using the power up.

2. It only last three turns, so you have to be strategic about when you use it. You can start strong by activating it immediately, or try to outlast your opponent and then use it for a big finish. Or you may need to use it more defensively when your opponent dynamaxes their Pokemon.

3. They’ve added the additional effects like weather and terrain to the moves for another layer of intricacy and strategy.

4. From what I’ve read, it doesn’t appear that gigantimaxing or dynamaxing will require a held item (not 100% sure on this one though), which lends itself to even more possibilities and combinations for competitive play.

While I’m not crazy about the aesthetics of the Pokemon becoming giant, I am interested to see how this will change up the meta game. I think it will add a lot more strategy and make for some exciting battles.

Not to mention I only ever hear a minority that actually like constests or pokeathalon, which is nothing but side content, it didn't really make the region have it's own identity or culture, especially since contests were done twice in a row.
I hear people talking about Contests and Pokeathalon all the time... And if being done twice in a row dilutes the uniqueness of contests, then what does it say about Megas that they've been done across Kalos, Hoenn, Alola, and Kanto?
Ha! Why do you think some people came up with the argument that each pokemon is essentially the same to begin with? Without mentioning any side features, or the pokemon, tell what makes each individual region stand out from the other?
Side features and Pokemon are still undeniable features of the game, but sure, we can go ahead and add location design, story, and characters to the list, the elements that make up a region.

Long term is just as easy to fall in a trap of dulling out a game.

I feel repeating gimmicks, while contributing to making the games stale, isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. There are other things that would wear players out far before repeating gimmicks would, especially if they were rotated between the games.

Not to mention I only ever hear a minority that actually like constests or pokeathalon, which is nothing but side content, it didn't really make the region have it's own identity or culture, especially since contests were done twice in a row.

On other Pokemon forums, contests and the Pokeathalon seem like features a decent amount of folks want back; far bigger than a minority.

tell what makes each individual region stand out from the other?
Plot, evil team, characters, region design, character design, anime episodes, manga chapters, etc.

While trying to think about all the things they might be hiding, I tried to brainstorm some ideas about Dynamax and Gigantamax (like the idea of it mimicking Megas and some of them having two versions), but it's a little boring knowing we probably won't even have anything similar at all. I mean, it doesn't seem like we'll have anything much more revealing about these mechanics at least.

But something I think is interesting to note is that besides being in Dynamax/Gigantamax form throughout all the battle, some of the Max Raid Pokémon may also reset stats and nullify abilities, and some may also attack more than once per turn. Some of them may also use those 'barriers' that we saw Steelix using in the E3 gameplay. The official website just say it's a "mysterious barrier". Of course, one of the most obvious assumption to make is that those things could have to do with Zacian and Zamazenta.

I also tried to think about Gigantamax Forms, as well. Like I said previously, I thought of 44 species. I'm sure it won't have such a large number although it would be amazing if it had as a way to try to compensante for the lack of content of other departments, I mean, one can dream.

So, these were the ones I thought of: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, Ninetales, Meowth, Alakazam, Machamp, Galarian Rapidash, Sirfetch'd, Gyarados, Lapras, Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Ludicolo, Mawile, Flygon, Vespiquen, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, Sigilyph, Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Klinklang, Golurk, Hydreigon, Meowstic, Goodra, Trevenant, Wishiwashi, Mimikyu, Kommo-o, Grookey-final evo, Scorbunny-final evo, Sobble-final evo, Corviknight, Wooloo, Drednaw, Rolycoly-evo, Alcremie, Duraludon, Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus.

I have several reasons for choosing them. For some I just thought of a concept that I found to be very interesting for a Gigantamax Form (like Ninetales, Gyarados, Vespiquen and others). Some others I just thought it would make some sense to gain Gigantamax Forms for lore reasons (like Charizard thus explianing Blastoise and Venusaur being there, although I don't rule out the possibility of Charizard being the only kanto starter, excluding Pikachu, to gain a Gigantamax, if it gets any, Reuniclus, the Galar starters, the legendaries and others). Others were on Affleck's leak (Meowth, Lapras). Some I chose by typing. Some others were announced as version exclusives, so I just came from there. And so on. It's extremely unlikely Galarian Rapidash and Sirfetch'd gaining Gigantamax, but I put them there because I could think of some really interesting designs and moves for them. That list is nothing special, it's just my wishlist/speculation list.

Now, about the Max and G-Max Moves.

What we have about Max Moves revealed so far:
(Flying) Max Airstream: Boosts the user's Speed (by one stage);
(Dark) Max Darkness: Lowers the target's Special Defense (by one stage);
(Fire) Max Flaire: Activates Harsh Sunlight;
(Water) Max Geyser: Activates Rain;
(Status - Normal) Max Guard: Enables the user to protect itself from all attacks, including Max Moves;
(Ice) Max Ice: Sets Hail;
(Fighting)Max Knuckle: Raises Attack of the user and its allies (by one stage);
(Electric) Max Lightning: Activates Electric Terrain;
(Grass) Max Overgrowth: Activates Grassy Terrain;
(Rock) Max Rockfall: Activates Sandstorm;
(Fairy) Max Starfall: Activates Misty Terrain;
(Steel) Max Steelspike: Boosts the user's Defense (by one stage);
(Normal) Max Strike: Lowers opponent's Speed stat (by one stage).

Obviously, the ones missing are Bug, Poison, Ground, Ghost, Psychic and Dragon. So I tried to come up with their effects (made pretty safe guesses, tbh):
(Bug): Sets Infestation on the target;
(Poison): Sets Toxic Spikes on the opponent's field (one layer);
(Ground): Sets Spikes on the opponent's field (one layer);
(Ghost): Raises Special Attack of the user and its allies (by one stage);
(Psychic): Activates Psychic Terrain;
(Dragon): Boosts the user's Attack and Special Attack (by one stage).

I had different ideas about some of them, but I tried to follow the pattern of the revealed ones, also for balancing reasons. Bug seems to be weak tho

About G-Max Moves, we have the ones from Drednaw, Corviknight and Alcremie so far. I don't have many specific ideas about it, except for Zacian and Zamazenta, which obviously are the easiest ones to come up with something.

I mentioned them in another thread, a long time ago, before even being revealed that there would be exclusive Max Moves, because that (exclusive Max Moves) was something the community was speculating at that time already. I think it would be interesting if Zamazenta's G-Max Move protected your team for several consecutive turns, and Zacian's G-Max Move could just increase the damage of your team's Pokémon's movements for several turns. Yeah, simple and obvious as that.

I can even think of their visual effects (which isn't difficult either, let's face it). Zamazenta's G-Max Move could set shields around your Pokémon (like a Swords Dance, but of shields instead, which stays there around your Pokémon for the respective turns). It would be interesting if Zacian's had swords, but I think it could end up looking very similar to Swords Dance not that we don't have inumerous similar moves visually.

Like everyone else I'm also curious about the story of these games, the box legendaries, Eternatus and maybe Meteodyna and how do all that fit into the game's theme, and how can all that connect or not with these mechanics. I saw a theory these days saying "Eternatus is the cause of Dynamax and Gigantamax, and its intention is for Pokémon to get rid of the human civilization". I found it to be pretty creative if you ask me. :wynaut:

Megas didn't have the best background, and the Z-moves seemed to me to be better developed and explained in the game's lore. I hope these mechanics were well thought too.

Copies of XY and SM were leaked around two weeks before their releases, so I think we're pretty close to figuring it all out.

Last edited:
On other Pokemon forums, contests and the Pokeathalon seem like features a decent amount of folks want back; far bigger than a minority.

What 10-20 out of hundreds of thousands of fans. Out of every outcry I've heard of features people asked to return, contests and pokeathalon were the least. If mentioned at all. Heck, I've barely heard any praises when contests returned in ORAS

Plot, evil team, characters, region design, character design, anime episodes, manga chapters, etc.
Outside of anime and manga when we're talking about the games here. Everything is relatively the same story structure. Even the regions, while differently shaped, are essentially the same including certain biomes.

Everything is relatively the same story structure.
Structure is only part of a story. I think most people would heavily disagree if you said BW had a plot that was relatively the same as RSE.
Even the regions, while differently shaped, are essentially the same including certain biomes.
And Z-Moves, while animated differently, are essentially the same as regular moves, just with stronger base power.

Structure is only part of a story. I think most people would heavily disagree if you said BW had a plot that was relatively the same as RSE.

And Z-Moves, while animated differently, are essentially the same as regular moves, just with stronger base power.
At least with z-moves it had lore and culture behind it. Same for megas.

Some people do not like some pokemon... some like others more... some have problem with forms...
I think it's great. Would be cool to mix it all up in future.

Also we need to wait and to see I like the fact that G and D formes have a 3 turn limit.
Seeing G-Drednav and G-Corviknight makes me hope they are with hp and those moves realy more then megas in that time space.

The powerfull moves, hope that stats and abilities also could go in pair because it means that there should be more power in it then in Megas.
We got immunity to flinching, we need to see what comes next with it.

If we can confuse , put them to sleep and affect them with stats at least because worrries me that you need 4 players to take one down in battle. Maybe during those raids those D-max or G-max pokemon are there longer transformed then 3 turns? Maybe there the time limit doesn't work for the Raid catchable pokemon in their forms because its a form of sacred ground or mistical place?

Cool that D-max can beused by all to make it equal gameplay taking G-forms exists and that we don't have Megas and Z-moves yet back to counter them.
Probably they will need to make that you can't D-max or G-max a mega pokemon or they are thinking about D-maxing them only... Z-moves should not be used with D and G power.

I like it but hope gen 4 remakes give us back megas , z-moves, maybe some G-forms a little and then next game/sequel to sword and shield a mix of everything.

Would fit and be cool to try this and that. Probably they didn't wanted to mish it up to early to introduce new pokemon and surprise us with a different aproach of mechanic.

Imagine in future a double or tripple battle against all D or G-max pokemon as oponents?

Interesting if terrrains could be summoned together with weather for 3 turns very dangerous oponents...

Maybe those raid battles could be like token battles where they get 1 or 2 support pokemon against trainers?

Last edited:
Weighing in on the subject I feel that at this point they're kind of in a case where their darned if they do and darned if they don't.
I do remember that a common complaint outside of the community for the first five generations was that Pokemon was extremely samey to the point that they're almost interchangeable.
I feel like ideas like megas and the like are ways to address VGC concerns while making each region feel distinct but IMO that idea can only go so far.
I think they should probably focus on each Region's culture like they somewhat did with Alola and based ideas around that.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom