• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Gamefreak: "Yeah, we love all the starters! Like Charizard and...... Charizard..... oh, and Greninja! And uh.... uhm.... Charizard."

(I do have to admit, the design for G-max Charizard is probably my favorite G-max design so far. Of course Charizard would get the best design.)

Yes!! These Gigantamax designs have a distinct flavor to them that feels rather inspiring. It seems like they showed the specific ones before specifically because they were more conventional.

Most of all now that more aspects of the style have been displayed, I do hope that there are actually quite a few Gigantamax forms. Perhaps there are nearly 100 or more?

I feel ashamed cuz it's another stupid Kanto Pokemon getting another stupid extra form...

...But I like giganta-Butterfree...

Why couldn't it have just been its mega last gen? It's such a nice design.

Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth are all pointless and silly. And Charizard just makes me mad.

I actually think Charizard looks okay (but not as good as Mega X) and Butterfree is nice, but...

I suppose there's a silver lining in that the special bonus gifts for these games are all inconsequential meme-mons so that you're not really missing out on anything significant by not having LGPE or not buying SwoShi right away, but at the same time, I really would like to see the mechanic be used for more interesting transformations. Alcremie is fun (albeit still meme bait), but then Drednaw and Corviknight don't really deviate all that much from their base forms either.

Last edited:
*Gigantachu being Gen 1 Fat Pikachu is silly but I like it.
*Gigantazard is okay in terms of design but I really hate how he gets so much favouritism over Blastoise and Venusaur (the gen 1 starters in general get too much but he's the worst)
*Gigantavee is fine.
*Gigantafree looks okay.
*Gigantameowth will haunt my sleep for years.

I would be very surprised if there isn't a Gigantamax Dragonite , otherwise it would mmost certainly be in the Gen 8 1/2 update games, whichever those will be!

The designs are strange to see compared to Megas (The Mega form style fits the part, surprising mutant evolutions to increase the viability of each Pokemon in battle.)

I think these are supposed to be almost like fairytale/mythological transformations. There is more of a fantasy element! They are not all necessarily battle-ready (some certainly are!), but they are so large and powerful that they can hold their own!

I do like that Gigazard keeps an emphasis on the base design's big belly, and retains the orange color scheme. I feel like slimming it down (as both of the Megas did to an extent) would be a really predictable way of trying to make it look "cooler," as is turning it black (don't get me wrong though, I am a total sucker for MCX).

What I will say I prefer so far about G-Max is that even though the designs haven't exactly wowed me, I like that they have avoided the "add random spikes lol!" trend of the Mega designs. Pikachu's tail elongating to look like an actual lightning bolt coming from the sky, and Meowth becoming freakishly long like, well, frankly, my actual pet cat feel like... I don't want to say "cleverer," because that's probably too generous, but it does feel like there's a little more thought put into the changes. People used to frequently decry Megas as being "overdesigned" (and if I remember right, even someone at Game Freak said that was a conscious decision), but these so far actually seem a lot more reserved. It does sort of appeal to my minimalist tendencies - sometimes you don't need a big alteration to make the point.

Last edited:
As much as I'm annoyed with all this Kanto pandering, I will say that Gigantamax Charizard is absolutely epic and Gigantamax Butterfree is an very welcome power-up to a previously neglected Pokemon.

Also, if the rumors are true, we could be getting a Gigantamax Lapras pretty soon, which is also cool. I hope it has a shell made of ice and a more monstrous design.

Last edited:
I like the G-Max forms revealed today. Eevee's is kind of meh, but not weird looking at least. I can't help but love Pikachu because of how he literally just looks like his old self. Charizard looks fine and thankfully not over the top. Meowth looks so funny I have to love it. Butterfree is the only one I'm not too crazy about. It's fine, just not amazing. Its G-Max Move is the best off all revealed today though. (If you don't count Meowth providing you with some coins :p)

Last edited:
I don't have much to say on the new gigantamax forms.

Slightly furrier Eevee, fatter Pikachu, long Meowth, Charizard geting a new form again; they're nothing special to me, and I wish they chose to give attention to some of the lesser recognized Pokemon from later generations instead. Looking forward to seeing more.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom