• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Okay, the Japanese trailer shows G-Max Butterfree being used against Milo. And I remember they also showed G-Max Alcremie being used against Bea. The fact that they're showing off the G-Max forms in gym battles leads me to wonder if they won't be as super difficult to get as I might be thinking, but I really hope they provide some actual information on this soon.

I'm feeling much better about the new Gigantamaxes after the trailer. Based on the Corocoro scan I was worried for Pikachu but actually look forward to using it now since I have a Let's Go Pikachu save file. Already liked Eevee, and Charizard and Meowth were better than I initially thought. I've never used a Meowth or Persian so maybe I'll add this early purchase bonus one to my team for the extra cash?

And Butterfree looks absolutely amazing and has one of the better G-Max moves we've seen so far.

I still don't want to use GIANT POKEYMANZ all the time in PvP but I feel like these ones would work out okay.

I know that Charizard gets a lot of attention already, but dang! I love Gigazard! Those flaming wings that make it look like one giant flaming Godzilla makes it look so cool!

Gigafree is really cool, too. It’s very elegant and its special G-Max move is also really amazing. Now I have a pretty good reason to train a Butterfree.

Not really impressed by the other Gigas, though. I appreciate that both Pikachu and Eevee reference their Gen 1 sprites, at least. Meowth is just awkward.

However, there is a plus side: apparently those Pokémon can’t evolve, which could potentially mean that we may get Partner Pikachu/Eevee in some way. Similarly, Meowth could get updated stats, which is pretty neat. I just hope their evolutions will still get some love, however.

You know, since they're all holograms...and Olena came up with the concept and means of projecting said holograms...

Does that mean that Game Freak is self aware of the Kanto pandering that Giga Charizard is actually a meta joke on their part that fell flat? Like maybe there's in universe favoritism going on between what gets a special hologram and what doesn't.

With that said though...they should really just pick a concept and stick with it next time. Most of the designs could be Megas.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if the projection is just the size of the pokemon or it's actual form too.

My thoughts on the reveal
I think my favorite was Butterfree by far. Though I think the wings look a little plain, I do love the whole light thing. Looks great and I may throw him on my team even though he is an older mon.
Eevee dosen't look much different. I think this circumstance is worse than Corviknight.
Pikachu I do like except it's tail looks a little odd to me. I mean I know there isn't much you can really do with Pikachu but its tail reminds me of a skinny crinkle fry which, reminds me of White Castle. haha.
Charizard looks cool, but tbh I am kinda tired of seeing Charizard. I do like this much better than his Mega forms. He looks so monstrous, he seems more like a spirit being to me than an animal which is nice.
Meowth, I just don't like. It looks odd to me. Like a hot dog cat or some sort of joke. He too, looks more like a spirit being than an animal to me, and the thought of it destroying skyscrapers as they described just reinforces this. He may grow on me.

Over all, not a bad trailer/content at all, just not what was expected. starter evolutions...

I'm overall positive on the Gigatamax forms so far. I love the eevee and the buterfree, and fatachu's return has long been prophesied. I'm okay with Zards new form but not super into it.

I want to see a side by side comparison of Dynamax Eevee and G-Max Eevee to see the changes; they’re so similar... apart from more floof.
It's definitely just more floof. But I love me some floof so honestly, I love it.

Pikachu, Eevee, and Charizard are favored so no surprise there.

Love Gigantamax Butterfree and Meowth. Love the Long Cat reference XD

You know, since they're all holograms...and Olena came up with the concept and means of projecting said holograms...

Does that mean that Game Freak is self aware of the Kanto pandering that Giga Charizard is actually a meta joke on their part that fell flat? Like maybe there's in universe favoritism going on between what gets a special hologram and what doesn't.

We don't know that the actual forms they take are designed by humans, because we don't know what allows Pokémon in the Wild Area to harness Dynamax energy on their own. Dynamax could be a natural thing, and ergo so could the Gigantamax forms, with Oleana's device just being something that allows humans to forcibly induce it.

With that said though...they should really just pick a concept and stick with it next time. Most of the designs could be Megas.

I really don't get this stance. The specific designs aren't really the important part (I remember lots of people saying that many of the Mega Evolutions could have just been regular evolutions, too). The actual mechanics and how the idea is worked into the setting are more distinguishing, and in that regard, Dynamax/Gigantamax is quite different from Mega Evolution.

I really don't get this stance. The specific designs aren't really the important part (I remember lots of people saying that many of the Mega Evolutions could have just been regular evolutions, too). The actual mechanics and how the idea is worked into the setting are more distinguishing, and in that regard, Dynamax/Gigantamax is quite different from Mega Evolution.

Cute Charm's stance is that by focusing on one gimmick instead of adding new gimmicks each generation, it does feel like we are not over bloating the series with different gimmicks or starting from scratch every time a new gen rolls around.

This is beneficial because it gives Game Freak time to make the one gimmick better or create other content such new Pokemon, formes, side content, and minigames that could give the games more personality.

On a personal note, I'm tired of the new gimmicks being a central focus of the recent games rather than engaging single player content.

Cute Charm's stance is that by focusing on one gimmick instead of adding new gimmicks each generation, it does feel like we are not over bloating the series with different gimmicks or starting from scratch every time a new gen rolls around.

If the previous mechanics are taken out before a new one comes in, as is the case with Dynamax, there's not really any material bloat. I don't see the issue.

And every new generation is a start from scratch.

This is beneficial because it gives Game Freak time to make the one gimmick better

Two of the bigger problems with Mega Evolution were that it was limited to a very small pool of elite Pokémon, and that there wasn't as much strategy to its application as they'd have liked because players had little reason to not Mega Evolve their Pokémon right away. You can't really address those kinds of things without changing the way the mechanic works on a fundamental level, and at that point, you are essentially creating a new mechanic.

or create other content such new Pokemon [...] side content, and minigames that could give the games more personality.

What Game Freak have actually said is that it's the existence of so many Pokémon, not things like generational mechanics, that have prevented them from including features and content that they wanted to create for previous games.

"If only they'd stop spending time on these new forms, then maybe they would have time to create new forms!" o_O

What if G-forms are imnune to entry hazards? What if you can send them in directly and already transformed? Did someone test that? Will wild fire be only? How to summo now sunny weather? Why not destroy terrains? Can we freeze them? Will a G-move that flinches make them flinch?

Last edited:
What if G-forms are imnune to entry hazards? What if you can send them in directly and already transformed? Did someone test that?
It'd make no sense to have them immediately be transformed, and there's no indication that they would be immune to entry hazards. (Doesn't really make sense, either-being big doesn't mean you're not hurt by spikes)

If the previous mechanics are taken out before a new one comes in, as is the case with Dynamax, there's not really any material bloat. I don't see the issue.

It can be in the matter of the series as a whole. If each generation has a gimmick, and each gen Charizard gains a new form, it will soon be hard for some fans to remember how many Charizards we had.

And every new generation is a start from scratch.

That is being criticized.

Two of the bigger problems with Mega Evolution were that it was limited to a very small pool of elite Pokémon, and that there wasn't as much strategy to its application as they'd have liked because players had little reason to not Mega Evolve their Pokémon right away. You can't really address those kinds of things without changing the way the mechanic works on a fundamental level, and at that point, you are essentially creating a new mechanic.

They could have changed it in deeper ways than they did. And by doing so, all that was "accumulated" would not be lost. Of course, balancing the Megas would require different methods from the ones we see them applying in Dynamax. But I don't think their main purpose with Dynamax was to create a better burst mechanics either. They may have taken the opportunity to try to create something more balanced this time for sure, but the main purpose with their creation was clearly others, since they are repeating one of the same past errors when introducing Gigantamax.

What Game Freak have actually said is that it's the existence of so many Pokémon, not things like generational mechanics, that have prevented them from including features and content that they wanted to create for previous games.

That does not change the fact that the time taken to create new mechanics and their new forms can also prevent them from creating other new features. And to be honest, from a personal side, I'm too tired of burst mechanics myself, as well. We had 3 in a row.

"If only they'd stop spending time on these new forms, then maybe they would have time to create new forms!" o_O

They may have meant other forms, like regional forms. Maybe they like regional forms more than Megas or Gigantamax Forms.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom