• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

not even quite sure what to make of it tbh. part of me likes it because it seems cool, and also because it seems fun to use with the new max raids thing, but the other part doesn't see me making use of this often outside of gym matches and other obligatory uses of it.

it's ok i suppose.

Eh, At first I didn't really care for it and felt pretty confused by it. After some thought I am ok with it but not excited about it. I didn't care for z-moves either but at least that was explained by the cultural dance and becoming one. I actually thought of the haka dance when I first saw z-moves performed.
I will give dynamax a chance to explain itself, but the only explanation as of now are mysterious large pokemon from earlier animes like the Dragonite at Bill's Lighthouse and the Tentacruel that destroyed a coastal city ect. And perhaps something to do with ancient old stones and energy currents in the earth.

The explanation is probably related to that gigantic legendary, not unlike Necrozma and Z-moves. I doubt it will be very creative.

I don't care what the lore is. It's awkward to look at as part of a competition, and nothing can explain Dynamaxed Pokemon not killing their foes by merely using Tackle. I know that Pokemon battles have never been realistic and some Pokemon are already quite big, but this is a new level of suspension of disbelief.

Eh, I think it's a fine mechanic, at least this doesn't limit which Pokemon can use the transformation. Plus, I don't think this can be combined with other temporary transformations even if it doesn't require a held item, basically how Rayquaza couldn't Mega Evolve if it holds a Z-Crystal.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but some people have noticed that there is an increase in HP after dynamaxing. It lasts 3 turns only, so how would that work? I assume the increment in HP should be something permanent. Otherwise, it would be a bit confusing.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but some people have noticed that there is an increase in HP after dynamaxing. It lasts 3 turns only, so how would that work? I assume the increment in HP should be something permanent. Otherwise, it would be a bit confusing.
Maybe it goes by percentage and whatever is left after 3 turns is added to the normal health bar. Thats all i can think of. I didnt notice the hp bars in the trailers.

Fairly indifferent to the mechanic.
I barely used Mega's or Z-moves in most of my playthrough's and I doubt that I'll treat dynamaxing any differently.

But just for kicks, I'm going to have to use a Toho themed team at some point on one of my playthrough's.
I'll definitely have Butterfree(named Mothra), Hydreigon(named Ghidorah) and Tyranitar(named Godzilla) and hopefully there are enough other options available to really complete the set(Carracosta, Aerodactyl, Bisharp, Garchomp; and we need Grookey to evolve into a proper gorilla so bad).

In retrospect, I can see why they did this. This seems like a gimmick designed to take advantage of the hardware. I mean we're playing on a bigger screen and now in bigger worlds, so having bigger Pokemon is a great way to show that off.

Honestly, I kinda like it. There's just something so epic about giant Pokemon. The one thing I'm concerned about though, is how they'll handle capturing in the Raid battles. I mean, you have 4 players teaming up to catch 1 Pokemon, so does everyone get 1 or just 1 of the players? Hopefully it's the former, as the latter could lead to a lot of infighting.

In terms of Dynamaxing, I can see it being available to use in online PVP battles, the fact that your Pokemon is only giant for 3 turns make it a lot more balanced than Mega Evolution. I mean, they changed it so Hoopa can be in its Unbound Form in the PC for players' convenience.

I mean, you have 4 players teaming up to catch 1 Pokemon, so does everyone get 1 or just 1 of the players? Hopefully it's the former, as the latter could lead to a lot of infighting.
It's the former in Go, so I don't see that changing here. I would be fully in favor of infighting, though. I'm genuinely amused by the idea of a giant Pokemon knocking out four stubborn trainers who can't decide who is going to use an Ultra Ball.

I don't mind it. I haven't seen a single person be like "wow I love it!" though, which to me means this is a big miss.

I will like it a lot more if it engulfs mega evos... In that, dynamaxing Pokémon with mega evos makes them mega evolve while huge, but still only lasts three turns. To me, that'd fix a lot of the problem I have with megas. And then, it opens things up to giving mega/gigantamax forms to non-evolved forms and really anything, without breaking the game much.

In-game, the Galarian energy that causes dynamax forms could be similar enough to mega energy to cause megas to happen. Done.

I however, don't see Game Freak allowing Mega, Primal, whatever the temporary form to Dynamax, it's basically the same case when even if Rayquaza has Dragon Ascent in its moveset, it won't be able to Mega Evolve if it's holding a Z-Crystal.

I hope they link the lore behind Dynamax to the lore behind Totem Pokemon. I need more ultra beasts!!!
That's that I hope too. There's just too many similarities between Dynamaxing and Totem Pokémon + Z-Moves to the point that the former mechanic seems like a combination of the latter two. At this point, I'd be a little disappointing if the Dynamax phenomenon wasn't caused by Ultra Wormhole Energy. This is the perfect opportunity for Game Freak to connect the lore of the Pokémon world together while also demonstrating how different cultures utilize the same energy source in a different manner.

Dynamaxing has pleasant sound effects and visual effects. Pikachu also has a mean expression, maybe others.

Does it have its own song though? That'd be cool.

all stats x5 and after 3 turns its reverted and calculated probably.

Unimpressed. Dynamax in its entirety, is just straight-up bland in my eyes. Mega Evolution was something that I held a soft spot for; while regional forms were, like, the one gimmick that had the most potential out of these forms-shtick that Game Freak has gotten an addiction to these days, and yet they just use it as further proof that Gen 1 is essentially the only thing that they ever feel confident with in terms of marketing.

This is essentially just shoehorning Raid Battles from Pokemon Go into the mainline games; and it just seems to be more of a way to showcase the capabilities of being in a console game if anything; what with big-ass models that chew up the screen.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom