• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Reaction score
This seems to be the main new gimmick for Generation 8.

As a reminder:

"Dynamax is a phenomenon unique to specific locations in the Galar region, where Pokémon are able to take on gigantic appearances. Pokémon from the Galar region are capable of Dynamaxing, and the Dynamax Pokémon become tremendously strong...

...The Dynamax phenomenon, which allows Pokémon to become tremendously powerful, is an integral part of Pokémon battles in the Galar region. Dynamax Pokémon don’t just become bigger—they get a boost in power as well. But they will return to normal after three turns, so make sure think carefully about when to trigger the Dynamax phenomenon!

Naturally, the Dynamax phenomenon is the topic of much research in the Galar region. A special item known as the Dynamax Band is the product of such research. Only Trainers who possess a Dynamax Band are able to Dynamax their Pokémon."

So, what's everyone's opinion on it?

1. It had better require a held item. The band implies as much.

2. Giant Pokemon only feel special when done sporadically.

3. This is definitely going to render Z-moves obsolete. No one cares about only using it against bosses and in multiplayer, because that's all you need.

4. Why did they reveal it so early? Because it has an added layer which actually changes designs?

5. Yuck.

Last edited:
It sure looks cool visually, but as a mechanic it's booooriiiiing. Just another temporary power-up that will be forgotten next generation like Mega Evolution and Z-moves. I was hoping they would take a break from new power up mechanics to expand on the ones we already have, but no.

In terms of the concept and aesthetics, it feels kinda exaggerated, uninspired, unnatural and, literally, going big for the sake of going big. I think they could have come up with something better that would make more sense with the way we know the Pokemon world works.

But in terms of gameplay, it doesn't seem bad. This time it can be used on literally any Pokemon without move or species restrictions, and the turn limit and the new movies add a layer of strategy that the previous features didn't have. Also, yay for no more 1 minute long animations from Z-moves. I hope there's a facility in the postgame that takes advantage of them.

The raids seem like an incentive to keep the online subscription active, as I expect them to be sources of shinies and special Pokémon, but apparently there's a hope spot that the internet connection wouldn't be mandatory as the site mentions that AI trainers may join you.

Leaked Dynamax Alolan Exeggutor

I will say it again: Game Freak are running out of good ideas for battle gimmicks. Dynamax is the worst one by far.

I'm sorry if this offends people who think Game Freak are incapable of running out of good ideas, but it's what I think.
You have good taste.

Last edited:
I really don't care for it at all. I don't get excited about generational gimmicks, in general, but this one just really isn't that exciting. Not to forget to mention that while the battle effects them look really nice, the giant Pokemon themselves look incredibly silly and cheesy.

I don't really like it. It seems just like a flashy mechanic to make battles flashy and for a wow factor. Maybe I'll feel differently about it when I see more, and/or play it myself, but for now I'm skeptical.

If it were down to me, I'd rather GF take a gen (or longer) off new mechanics and focus on the ones we already have.

It'd be one thing if they kept refining a gimmick over time and balancing it out, and this was the latest transformation of a gimmick they already worked with. As it stands, this appears to be meant to be another separate tool on top of Megas and Z-Moves, and it's getting a bit overwhelming trying to keep up with it all. I don't really mind the mechanic on it's own, but looking at it alongside Z-Moves and Megas makes me feel like some of this stuff needs to be merged, like maybe merge Z-Moves with Dynamax and have some of the Dynamax moves just be some of the old Z-Moves. That way, you have 3 turns to use whatever Z-Moves you have the base form of, and you don't have to worry about picking out a Z-Crystal, or making the choice between a signature crystal and a regular one, for the Pokemon that apply. Dynamax becomes a direct upgrade to Z-Moves, and nothing of value is lost.

I hope there's just one universal Dynamax Band for Pokemon, and anyone can hold it, instead of the absolute flood of individual items that came from Megas and Z-Crystals. I also really, really hope they start considering merging all the Mega Stones into one held item, and the party menu can tell you if a Pokemon can use it or not, like TM's. With Z-Crystals, they can go all the way with what they already do. You merge them into one item, you have the Z icon in battle, and when you press it, it tells you which Z-moves you can use based on the regular moves you have. Once you select one, that's it for the battle.

As for my feelings on specifically Dynamax itself, it's an extension of Totem battles from Alola, which is fine. When I get to the region's battle tower, I'm going to be forced to use it to keep a streak going, because I 100% guarantee that the AI will be spamming it like crazy, meaning that I will also have to use it to counter it. It's just "meh". I don't care either way. I just want the mechanic/item bloat to get cut down.

Looks like this is their way of incorporating the raids from Pokemon Go. I think it's a really fun idea. I got a little worried there for a sec though when he mentioned the local connection. Cause I was like "that's awesome but you can do this online too right?" lol. Luckily you can. Also I want a giant Bewear!

Is this not just a lazy version of mega evo, I mean instead of coming up with awesome new designs and abilities, they just make a Pokemon larger and then mechanically has an increase in power, just like mega evo. I guess its like a combo of mega evo and Z move in that you get stat boost and move boost, but come on, what a cheap lazy way out. More megas would have been so much greatly preferred, or even better would have been just not having a power up gimmick.

Uniq, if makes stats doubled then... Not my thing. Hoped for armors and new megas. My gimmick will be a item for 1 pokemon in Your party that allows it to activate all its possible abilities at once during battle. Hoped armors would come and do that with form and type change with small stats adjustments maybe immunity to z-moves.

Good that only 3 turns. Feels interesting hope only for 1 poke... We will see. Something else then megas and z-moves...

I'm neutral to it. It seems like a logical step forward after Totem Pokemon, and the fact that it's not limited to select few Mons like Mega Evo means you can make your favorite Mon go Kaiju-style. Though... it does bring concern about a certain Mega Mon going Kaiju... Mega Rayquaza, the beast that broke Smogon to bits. But, overall, it's okay. I don't think it's outstanding, but the fact that it's not selective to a small group of Mons, has a 3-turn limit, and there could be added bonuses to catching Dynamaxed Mons (like, say, they'll have their HA, perhaps), it's not the worst. Goofy, yes, but not terrible.

Overall just kind of neutral to the idea. I like the idea of doing raids with others and battling Dynamax Pokemon, but I am not really sure how I feel about it in game. I think I would still prefer it if they took some time to expand more on their older mechanics, rather than making new ones every new gen.

I'll use it, and it doesn't turn my head away from the game, but I don't think I would prefer it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom