• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

I think I finally realized what disgusts me about this new dynamax feature:

it's the actual SIZE of the dynamaxed Pokémon. They look huge, bloated and exaggerated. If dynamax Pokémon just became temporarily the size of Totem Pokémon, rather than full-size-Poke-Godzillas, I think nobody would have been opposed to that.

But they chose to supersize them for the cheap initial wow-factor. And that's only gonna last for a while.

Last edited:
Nah, the Z-moves were way more interesting. This is just Zippy Zap and Baddy Bad tier.
This isn't a subjective thing. Just because some fans dislike the feature (myself included) doesn't mean that Game Freak have designed new Megas/Z-moves as a backup plan.

Max Raids and gyms are both centered around Dynamax. Z-moves were much easier to ignore.

That was only the English version. The other languages had normal and decent names.

I'm not saying that Dynamax is bad/lame. I'm just saying that it isn't that much of a game changer.

This isn't a subjective thing. Just because some fans dislike the feature (myself included) doesn't mean that Game Freak have designed new Megas/Z-moves as a backup plan.

You misunderstand me. What I meant was there just isn't really much effort put into developing this battle mechanic. It's clearly more for raids. I like how it makes Pokemon a little like a MMORPG.

Well, there is a rumor about a complementary feature (Gigantamax) that does involve new designs (or revived ones in Pikachu's case).

I think it's likely that there is more to reveal about Dynamax considering that it's the main new mechanic, and the release date is 5 months away.

Here is a list of Pokemon I feel will make dynamax battles actually feel epic. They really should have shown the more developed Pokemon to showcase dynamax because the small cute Pokemon just look like ballons unless they are ballon pokemon like Jiggly.
Kanto
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Pidgeot

Arbok
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Ninetales / Ninetales A
Wigglytuff
Venomoth
Alakazam
Machamp
Tentacruel
Muk / Muk A
Gengar
Kingler
Exeggutor A
Seaking
Gyarados
Lapras
Omastar
Kabutops
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Dragonite

Johto
Meganium
Feraligatr
Ariados
Sunflora
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Steelix
Qwilfish
Magcargo
Octillery
Mantine
Skarmory
Houndoom
Kingdra
Donphan
Tyranitar
Lugia
Ho-Oh

Hoenn
Sceptile
Dustox
Slaking
Aggron
Swalot
Sharpedo
Wailord
Camerupt
Torkoal
Flygon
Altaria
Lunatone
Solrock
Whiscash
Crawdaunt
Claydol
Cradily
Armaldo
Seviper
Milotic
Tropius
Relicanth
Salamence
Metagross

Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza

Sinnoh
Torterra
Rampardos
Bastiodon
Mothim
Drifblim
Spiritomb
Garchomp
Drapion
Carnivine
Abomasnow
Lickilicky
Rhyperior
Tangrowth
Electivire
Magmortar
Yanmega
Mamoswine
Probopass
Dusknoir
Dialga
Palkia
Heatran
Giratina
Regigigas
Darkrai
Arceus

Unova
Serperior
Emboar
Gigalith
Seismitoad
Scolipede
Basculin
Krookodile
Crustle
Carracosta
Archeops
Garbodor
Zoroark
Jellicent
Galvantula
Eelektross
Haxorus
Druddigon
Golurk
Bisharp
Braviary
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Tornadus
Thundurus
Reshiram
Zekrom
Landorus
Kyurem

Kalos
Chesnaught
Malamar
Barbaracle
Dragalge
Clawitzer
Tyrantrum
Aurorus
Goodra
Trevenant
Gourgeist
Avalugg
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde
Hoopa Unbound
Volcanion

Alola
Crabominable
Wishiwashi
Araquanid
Shiinotic
Golisopod
Palossand
Silvally
Minior
Turtonator
Bruxish
Drampa
Dhelmise
Kommo-o
Tapu Fini
Solgaleo
Lunala
Nihilego
Xurkitree
Celesteela
Guzzlord
Ultra Necrozma
Naganadel
Stakataka

@Esserise You've raised some good points. However, there's something I've still got to address:

Same way they did with Z-Moves I guess, by selling bracelets. It's not like there won't be ~100 new designs to profit from anyway.
Game Freak: introduces dynamaxing which is just resizing, but creates a whole new roster of pokemon designs as well

Fans: it seems like you're trying to avoid making new designs!

:confused:
We don't know if they'll actually give us 100+ designs though. For all we know, we might just get around what we had in XY in terms of new species, and the fact that Dynamaxing doesn't involve changing appearance combined with that means less designs to market. If we do get 100+ designs, whether it be in the form of brand new species or regional variants, I'll let Game Freak slide. However, we can't jsut assume that'll be the case.

Also, why is no one talking about Dynamaxing in relation to moves like Grass Knot and Low Kick? You'd think weight mechanic moves would be affected by something like giant Pokémon, which is pretty important if you ask me.

Last edited:
It certainly has a whimsical charm to it. But I can't say I'm a fan of this continued string of Battling gimmicks. I thought Mega Evolution was cool, for the chance to see enhanced stats, new designs, changes in Ability, Typings, and occasionally an updated movepool. Z-Moves and now Dynamaxing seem like these really broad-strokes attempts at making every Pokemon 'better', without doing as much to them at the individual level. I dunno. They might be more inclusive, but they're less interesting to me.

On top of that, the game is just becoming more bloated :confused: I don't want to think about how this is going to play out online alongside all of the other mechanics...

We don't know if they'll actually give us 100+ designs though. For all we know, we might just get around what we had in XY in terms of new species, and the fact that Dynamaxing doesn't involve changing appearance combined with that means less designs to market. If we do get 100+ designs, whether it be in the form of brand new species or regional variants, I'll let Game Freak slide. However, we can't jsut assume that'll be the case.

I admit I could have been more clear, but I wasn't actually trying to say that we'd be getting 100 new designs for sure. That part of the post was facetious so I was just speaking broadly; my main point being that "they're trying to avoid making new designs" seems to me like a very odd claim to make especially in a new Gen when you're getting quite a lot of new designs already. Let's not forget that a ton of effort already goes into those, and that the entirely-new Pokémon are meant to be the main focus anyway. Besides, we already basically know that they're cutting down on the overall amount of creature designs that they add at once. After a concentrated two-Gen effort and them essentially saying that there are too many Pokémon to keep up with now, that should be pretty clear. Megas and regional variants are a nice consolation, but the reality of them is that they're already the sort of compromise you're talking about. They exist largely so that GF can make a few new marketable characters that build on existing designs instead of having to conceptualize them all individually from scratch. Personally, I don't think this generation lacking such an element would be a terribly big deal, but I already think of Megas and RVs as more along the lines of fun extras rather than fully-fledged entities that "make up" for what we're "not getting" with the smaller rosters.

Can you imagine a Dynamax’d Arceus?

GiantDenseBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

I mean I loved the Totem battles Bec cause some were somewhat challenging so this means Gym challenges will be harder BUT and it's a huge BUT: I think this mechanic kills any chance of new Megas unfortunately.

I don't care for the gimmick, just for the well-being of the spectators when watching battles! :p:LOL:
If Jigglypuff inflates while Dynamaxed, will we have a new method of transportation?
If Arceus created the world, can Humans also Dynamax?
What happens if Pkmn use steroids and Dynamax?

Seriously though, while I do understand that if Pkmn can shrink when captured they can also get bigger and we actually saw giant Pkmn in the anime, as a mechanic and idea, I think it's bad, but just the new bad after Megas and Z-moves! GF should start having a better idea of staples and on what to improve instead of always trying to force new stuff and appeal to younger audiences and also just stop switching their internal teams because then it'll be like Assassin's Creed. After SM, I now dislike Shigeru Ohmori even more.

Last edited:
I think it'll be interesting to see how Dynamaxing will work with Z-moves and Megas -- my bet would be that that the Dyna band you wear will also be where your Key Stone and Sparkling Stone will be, so maybe you can only have one of the three active at a time?

With Dynamax being location specific, it'll be cool to see how the lore of the region fits in. Could be ley lines, could be aftereffects from a long ago battle or legendary Pokemon...

My opinion: Thanks I hate it. <3

At least with the Dyna band I have the comfort of assuming I'll have to give my pokemon a held item to make it part of someone's gigantism fetish. That means I will never have to deal with a mega giant, or a z move throwing giant since pokemon can only hold one item. <3 Also that band looks like a rubber sweatband and I hate it. I 100% want to be able to just slam dunk Leon's giant pokemon into the ground with a regular pokemon though. Nothing would make my Troll Queen PC Salt daughter happier than a crowd of booing fans because she wan without doing the 'cool thing'.

If I ever do a nuzlocke fan comic thing of all the games I'm 100% making Dynamax some weird unnatural phenomenon that came about as a result of the Ultimate Weapon from X and Y hitting the region years ago. And humans find it amazing and have special arenas where you can use it in battle for televised sport because if real humans can breed genetic defects onto poor animals because they 'think its cute', I don't see any reason why pokemon world humans can't have the same flavor of callousness. I mean, they already do it with Mega Evolution. "Who cares if my Glalie's jaw's broken or that my Gyarados's brain acknowledges no other function but 'burn literally everything until there's nothing left'? It helps me win and it looks cool too!!"

I think, from what I'm understanding, Dynamaxing is just Totem Pokemon. Although honestly, I preferred the Totem Pokemon because I just don't like things getting bigger. It seems kind of dumb and has always been a pet peeve of mine due to its impracticality.

If it is supposed to be this gen's version of Megas and Z-Crystals though, then I just... no. That is a very poor follow-up.

Even so, I don't see myself using it unless it is forced upon me. I'm pretty sure though I'll just be able to ignore it as needed, and it may add more difficulty to my journey by doing so. So win-win.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom