• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

what if some pokemons abilities automaticaly works during Dynamax without the negative effects
(without lowering stats in some cases like Weak Armor)?
imagine auto Blaze, Overgrow, Torrent by activation first turn? maybe thats why they are glowing?
or Static by every physical contact?

Also we dont know nothing about dynamax moves. Looked like a Barrier protected the team but maybe every Dynamax moves will be able to break through a "Protect" version move like Thunder during rain?

probably for me, I'll never use - didn't get my attention

similar to mega evolution and z-crystals... likely only try once during the story line if its required to continue
aside from that, I'll likely forget about it very quickly

The fact that we got rid of Mega Evolutions for this, convince me that Arceus is dead.

Not a fan, a really lazy and stupid concept and I will never use it. And it is exactly what is wrong with GameFreak constantly wanting to introduce new battle gimmicks.

Will we be able to Mega Evolve or use Z-moves during Dynamax battles?

Actually, maybe not for the boss raids, but perhaps there might be a battle facility that allows for all these upgrades to take place.

There are definitely Pokémon that will benefit more from Dynamaxing appearance wise like Golurk and Hydreigon and Gyarados. Yet they spent a whole lot of time showing cutemons like Grookey, Eldegoss and Raichu turned into Macy’s parade floats :p

At one point I considered the possibility of Dynamax being streamlined with Megas, Primals and Ultra Burst is when they got giant they’d transform and stay that way even after returning to normal size. But then I realized giant Gyarados was in the trailer too.

EDIT: Granted, it was a WILD Gyarados so maybe there’s another possible piece to the puzzle. But I’ve given up on expecting my ideas to be implemented by game freak lol

I hope I don’t sound too much like a negative Nancy. It is a lot easier to deal with since it’s only in certain spots and I may even grow to enjoy it with the right Pokémon in the spotlight.

Last edited:
So it seems the rumor of armored Pokemon was fake after all.

About Daimax, it looks kinda of a lazy attempt to introduce a new feature similar to Mega Evo and Z-Moves, but one that seems boring (for me at least).

Wonder how it's gonna work in gyms as shown in the trailer.

Probably mega or z-moves post game, just like last gen. But Dynamax kinda renders z-move obsolete since you can supermove for 3 turns instead of picking your 1 move 1 time only.

interesting what will be stronger?

Wishiwashi in school form or regular Wishiwashi Dynamax?

What do You all think? this would be a cool battle.

Shame that Pokemon that come in different sizes like Gourgeist are probably gonna end up looking the same size Dynamaxed.

Also if the final evolutions of your Pokemon end up looking smaller than their cutesy original forms due their proportions I will be a bit annoyed. I hope they're a bit bigger.

Probably mega or z-moves post game, just like last gen. But Dynamax kinda renders z-move obsolete since you can supermove for 3 turns instead of picking your 1 move 1 time only.

My guess is Z-moves are going to stay in Alola. They were tied even more closely to regional lore than Megas were, Max Moves serve the same purpose, and the only Pokémon that requires a Z-crystal to access a special form is Ultra Necrozma and I’m sure they can find a way to shoehorn it in*
*Even if it is possibly the most generic looking legendary ever and a massive step down from Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings.

EDIT: so getting evidence from E3 that z-moves are gone. And so are megas! On one hand I will miss them both, on the other I can appreciate it since on top of Dynamax the whole thing would end up very cluttered, so I’m ready to just enjoy the new mechanic.

Last edited:
My guess is Z-moves are going to stay in Alola. They were tied even more closely to regional lore than Megas were, Max Moves serve the same purpose, and the only Pokémon that requires a Z-crystal to access a special form is Ultra Necrozma and I’m sure they can find a way to shoehorn it in*
*Even if it is possibly the most generic looking legendary ever and a massive step down from Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings.

EDIT: so getting evidence from E3 that z-moves are gone. And so are megas! On one hand I will miss them both, on the other I can appreciate it since on top of Dynamax the whole thing would end up very cluttered, so I’m ready to just enjoy the new mechanic.
Another parallel universe:bulbaWave: And I'm pretty sure that the translation for Megas and Z-moves are gone is mistranslated. What Oomori said was something along the line of "even though we have Megas and Z-moves, this time it's Dynamaxing", not that Dynamax replaces the 2 previous power up. Can we have someone who understand Japanese to double check this?

Last edited:
lmao, striking Megas and half the entire dex from the very code in favor of "it got bigger"

you're a fucking idiot if you buy this game. stop enabling them.

So it seems the rumor of armored Pokemon was fake after all.

Sadly I would rather had had armor at this point. Or better yet, no new battle gimmick at all...

Why not just focus resources on actually improving the mechanics of the games proper?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom