• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

"So, Dynamax is actually a new way to power up your Pokémon in these games; it replaces what we've seen previously - for example, Mega Evolution and Z-Moves."

that's what's said by their professional translator in the treehouse segment

megas (i was under the impression that most people here didn't care about z-moves? for the last 3 years i've felt like i was representing the unpopular thing because i liked them more than megas) might still be ""around"" but like, i think we can all already tell that they won't be present during the main campaign, at the very least. and i still really wouldn't be surprised to see them be left out altogether - they mentioned game balancing as one of the reason why they are keeping the game restricted to the galar local dex, and i mean, it must certainly be easier to balance something like dynamax if you don't have to worry about piling megas and z-moves on top, no?

Even a pro-translator could get it out in a way that he didn't intentionally meant it. Replace could mean that it replace Mega and Z-move as the new mechanic, does not necessarily entail the that the old mechanics are deleted out of the game. If it were, Mega wouldn't have returned last gen. Why would they spend all those years working on those concepts and deleted them out later when the new system is more than capable of handling all these data?
For the record, I know my Japanese is not that good, so I tried to listened to what Oomori said like 10x and I turned on the caption, I did not hear or see anything about Mega and Z-moves being gone. All he said were, "up until now we have gameplay elements like Mega and Z-moves, but in these new titles, the new power up game play element is Dynamax". I rested my case.

Last edited:
Why would they spend all those years working on those concepts and deleted them out later when the new system is more than capable of handling all these data?

i mean, why do we always assume that putting in every single past feature is something that they want to do? that's not really ever been their goal - historically they've looked at each game as more of an individual project with its own narrative and related features. why, hypothetically speaking, would they leave out megas and z-moves? because they're simply not relevant to what they might want to do in these games, and it's not the end of the world if those features aren't available (we went six and seven whole generations without them, after all).

I don't know if anybody knows, but there are some details about a few Max Moves:

Max Flare (Fire-type move) - If it hits, it causes harsh sunlight.
Max Rockfall (Rock-type move) - If it hits, it summons a sandstorm.
Max "Take Down" - Becomes a move with 130 Power, and it lowers the speed of the target.

It's safe to assume that stuff like Max "Water" will summon rain, and maybe Max "Electric" will summon Electric Terrain.

I would love to see a Dynamax vs Mega battle and then a Z-move user vs Dynamax only to see how it works.

Would be interesting. Ok taking thats gen 8, and I want 4 more to have a round number of 12 at least.
I think one or two more game mechanics but hope they make more Megas(especially the other starters and some other pokemon) and Z-moves next gen.
I like the continuity. Don't like ditching good things.
Dynamax is ok not overpowered when it comes to team battles.

Interesting if every pokemon can be Dynamaxed? Gengar and Alakazam should.

Hmmm Magicarp Dynamaxed or Gigamaxed? Interesting if Drednav could change it's form forever?
you know after beeing gigamaxed? would be interesting.

Ok maybe Armor will be in next gen or next game, also a interesting concept worth doing in my opinion.

Don't complain we got a lot of battle options now. Hope only they do 1 gen pause with new game mechanics and do the existing ones more and focus on new pokemon, new abilities and new moves more and on old pokemon that need bufs.

Interesting if ability immunities will block Dynamaxed moves? They should in my opinion a Dynamaxed sound move should be blocked by Soundproof. The regular type effectivnes mechanic also should not change bc then it would be too complicated.

Hmmm Dynamax gives us another way to summon Hail, interesting Dynamaxed Alolan Ninetales anyone?
Or Dynamaxed Abomasnow?

Do I understand good if You use Dynamax you can't use Z-moves or Megas with it?
Would be good to have something seperate from them that can't be used at the same time with them. I think it will be that case.

Last edited:
Why would they spend all those years working on those concepts and deleted them out later when the new system is more than capable of handling all these data?

Idk, why'd they drop seasons? Or Pokethlon? Or any of the many gameplay elements they introduced throughout the series. GF works in mysterious ways.

I cautiously agree though that Megas, at the very least, will return in later games in Gen VIII. The translator could very easily have meant replace "for now" rather than "gone forever" and I find it very hard to believe GF would restrict entire evolutions of Pokemon to just 2 gens. I can, however, see Z-moves being Alola-locked with how much people cried about them and how they are culturally tied to Alola only.

Last edited:
Poor communication, that is all this is. I say nobody knows anything until it is made clear.

Since they're putting hundreds of Pokemon in limbo, I don't see how removing two features (from these games) that basically rival the new one would be a reach. They won't be accessible in the main story or VGC 2020, anyway.

Moving on from the negativity of the Treehouse event, I think I know a likely way that Game Freak could make the Dynamax phenomenon more interesting. You know how Pokémon can hold Poké Balls as their held item? What if Dynamax not only requires this, but you get different effects on top of the standard Dynamax boost depending on what type of Poké Ball your Pokémon holds? Here's a few examples:
  • Poké, Great, and Ultra Balls: gives access to a Pokémon's Hidden Ability (or a random normal ability if your Pokémon already has its hidden ability)
    • Alternatively, either the standard Poké Ball or all three standard balls have no additional effect
  • Timer Ball: works like the Metronome held item, but also wears off when Dynamax ends
  • Heal Ball: protects against negative status effects and heals existing ones
  • Friend and Luxury Balls: the higher your friendship (starting with the 100-149 value range), the more powerful your moves get (+10 base power for every friendship milestone)
I doubt this will happen, but it would make it a more intriguing successor to Mega Evolution and Z-Moves than the uninspired one it is currently presenting itself in light of current information.

Unpopular opinion, but I believe Dynamax has to potential to be a better power-up than Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Mega Evolution was nice, but I always hated how it was limited to only certain Pokemon, and such a small group too. It also had to potential to turn most battles into sweeps with little strategy, especially if the opponent didn't have a Pokemon that could Mega Evolve. I liked Z-Moves for being open to all Pokemon, but they were kind of a one and done thing. Dynamax seems like a good middle ground to me. It is available for all Pokemon, they get a nice boost, but it only lasts 3 turns so the chances of using it to totally sweep entire opponent's teams seems lesser. It can also only be used in certain places (which to me translates to major battles), meaning it won't be able to be spammed as much as the other two were. I'm interested in seeing its execution.

I think all three game mechanics are great. But hope we will get new megas and Z-moves in future.
Hmmm Dynamax Charmander vs Mega Charizard X, who would win that outcome?
They could make such a trailer battle.

I quite am opposed to this as a mechanic, since the idea of making your little pet grow huge like a balloon when keeping the exact shape? It's just meh.

Z-Moves can look quite cool, but one-time-use. Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion were restricted to select few.

Game Freak should fix up some Pokémon and trying to save them from being irrelevant in battles. But no. Teasing us with Dynamax for Dynamaxed profits. Boring.

I am one of the apparently few people who actually like Dynamax and think it is cool.

I think the clouds surrounding the head and the vortex above are cool too.

Attachments

• D89JTDzXkAAcjzt.jpeg
    D89JTDzXkAAcjzt.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 48
At least with Z-moves you could pull off some cool defensive strategies... :/ Defensive Pokémon won't benefit as much from this.

Since I'm a bit late, to answer the thread's question: I don't like it.

I find Dynamax to be really unoriginal when all it is is just a hyped-up Totem battle with some Mega mechanics thrown into the mix. And the fact that it is a limited feature doesn't help with that. This latest gimmick is supposed to spur excitement in me, but it just doesn't. The giant Pokemon don't add to its value (especially when you can still achieve the exact same thing without Pokemon growing 50 times big) and it also aesthetically feels....really out of place? I don't know about you, but the idea feels off and foreign. I feel like this would be a mechanic better suited for another game altogether.

I think Game Freak were really scraping at the bottom of the barrel when they came up with this. This is their laziest attempt yet.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom