• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like Dynamaxing. While we don't know if Dynamax is the only power-up this gen will create (given some of the rumors that are flying around, it's possible that Dynamax is just half of the equation here), I do feel that Dynamax isn't as bad as most people feel it is. Sure, it's replicating the ever-popular Kaiju battles (something that a lot of franchises are becoming guilty of, like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc), but the fact it's NOT selective to only a handful of Mons like Mega Evo, that it has a limit to how long it's active (which prevents outright team sweeps like say, oh, M-Kanga), and that it effectively combines Mega Evo and Z-Moves into a single, albeit middle-of-the-road package is actually rather nice. And like I said before, it seems like a logical step forward from Totems, as we were allowed to have Totem Mons in USUM, so it does make sense that it would go a step further and make it very accessible. And, on top of that, the fact that it may not be as in-your-face as certain Megas and Z-Moves were, being possibly restricted to certain big events (like Gym Battles) makes it rather interesting.

Sure, it makes the Mon look absolutely ridiculous, having blown them up to Macy's parade balloon sizes (which will probably be pretty funny with Mons like Drifblim or Wailord), but at least every Mon in the region will get their time to shine with it. Plus, one last thing that had intrigued me was the 3-turn limit. I felt that sounded familiar to me, and then I remembered why: Double Souls and later Beast Out from Megaman Battle Network. They all had 3-turn limits, and were all a form of transformation, and all had certain advantages, so that actually made me warm up to the idea more. So, yeah, I've warmed up to Dynamax quite a bit more as a result, and I look forward to seeing what it will do.

I think dynamaxing is a great idea. I've noticed a lot of people are just assuming "it's dumb, it's just giant pokemon" but conceptually, it seems like gamefreak trying to find a more balanced solution to megas while also having the same functionality that z-moves had (every pokemon being able to use them).

I really like that they can only be used for 3 turns, and in certain parts of the region

defensive walls will get stats enough,

Would be interesting to meet Whitney with Dynamaxed Miltank?

depends if the protect is a a protect or a more powerfull "barrier" like light screen or reflect and lasts longer like they informed us that it will take more moves to take it out. You know that you need maybe more power to destroy it then normally, a "counter" like with a substitute? Imagine a powerfull barrier that can take more hits.

Interresting if a Z-move could overpower such a barrier?

In future will be interesting to see it's interaction with Z-moves and Megas but hope they will make max 1 or 2 new mechanics in future...
Could see Sacred Seals on pokemon bodies like the ones Great Gengar and Great Alakazam had in anime and pokemon armors but not in gen 9, make it a gen 10 and 12 thing and make pause with new mechanics and create new pokemon , new abilities, new moves, new forms, new megas, new z-moves.

I too like new ideas, like Dynamaxing bc it makes sense with the anime in Kanto with the large pokemon we saw and with the large Dragonite from there. Seeing that you need special places to do it they want it to be Galars thing buty maybe if a pokemon would carry a special Dynamax stone from Galar You could use it anywhere else in the world.(firngers crossed for that, to be used in future generations)

Last edited:
If Megas and Z-moves are taken out of the game for this dynamax clowning which is only restricted to specific areas only then like wtf were they thinking.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but it just occurred to me how much the Dynamax Gym battles remind me of the Super Training from X and Y - the big football themed stadium and the giant Pokemon (albeit in X and Y they are big balloons).
I know it probably means nothing (maybe at best a loose inspiration) but I thought it was pretty neat.

I'm not completely sold on it yet. I need to learn more about it and see it in action more. I do like the raid battle idea, I think that can be fun. And I do like that it's only 3 turns in trainer battles because I'm not a fan of the giant pokemon part of it, and wouldn't want to look at a (arguably unnecessarily) large Pokemon for too long.

Thoughts: I think Dynamax sucks.
Feelings: I feel that Dynamax is going to suck.
Concerns: I am concerned that Dynamax is going to suck.

Hmmm... I guess my thoughts, feelings and concerns about Dynamax overlap with each other.

Last edited:
Dynamxing looks ridiculous and hilarious, and before they announced they're cutting mons, I was convinced I was gonna have a lot of fun with it. I'm glad it's restricted to locations, which also might provide some interesting lore, and should keep you from just steamrolling everything

My only concern was that yet another new gimmick would clutter what is already there, like Megas and Z-moves (neither of which I cared very much for, but that doesn't mean I want them gone). But apparently those two won't be in SwSh, so problemm 'solved'

The news of megas and z moves being gone in these games actually made me like dynamax more. It's no longer something cluttering up the battle strategies.

I've also just generally warmed up to it. Yeah it's silly, but so were z moves.

The news of megas and z moves being gone in these games actually made me like dynamax more. It's no longer something cluttering up the battle strategies.

Was the reverse for me. They built up the lore for megas and z-move and then they're ditching it for some new flavour of the month. This made me mad. At least z moves can be explained as being special to their culture but what was all that backstory for megas for then?

I think dynamaxing is a great idea. I've noticed a lot of people are just assuming "it's dumb, it's just giant pokemon" but conceptually, it seems like gamefreak trying to find a more balanced solution to megas while also having the same functionality that z-moves had (every pokemon being able to use them).

I really like that they can only be used for 3 turns, and in certain parts of the region

In regards to it being "just giant Pokémon," I happened to notice on the official site's interview with the producers that Ohmori said it was partly inspired by old English stories about giants. So that's nifty.

Was the reverse for me. They built up the lore for megas and z-move and then they're ditching it for some new flavour of the month. This made me mad. At least z moves can be explained as being special to their culture but what was all that backstory for megas for then?

"Backstory" as in...? If you mean the stuff about AZ in X & Y and the stuff about the Draconids in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, that was only there on order to centralize the plot of those games around the new mechanic. Not the plots of future games. The backstory is completely disposable beyond that point - hence Sun & Moon and Let's Go saying little to nothing about any of the lore and just handing you a Key Stone, totally devoid of any Mega Gadget, even. Even if Mega Evolution were in Sword & Shield, it would probably be the same scenario.

Speaking of backstory, the fact that Dynamax was dismissed as being due to natural energy during the Treehouse event makes me worried that this mechanic will go unexplained in-universe.

Not the plots of future games.

It's not about the plot of the future games. The plots don't have to revolve around megas. It's just that it's something that exists in-universe. Since it exists in-universe and also with some significance attached to it, removing it now is just silly.

It's not about the plot of the future games. The plots don't have to revolve around megas. It's just that it's something that exists in-universe. Since it exists in-universe and also with some significance attached to it, removing it now is just silly.

How so? See, to me it's just another battle mechanic - I like Mega Evolution fine enough, just as I liked Rotation and Triple Battles, but the Alola games didn't need those (though they probably couldn't have handled them anyway, to be fair), even though they were established as a thing that existed. I've got no problem with Mega Evolution being casually dropped in like it was in SM and LGPE, but by that same token, I think the ability to do that in the first place sort of indicates that it's not a particularly special thing. It's just another tool in the toolbox, to be brought out when it fits the current game, and in the case of SS, it was probably just easier for them to work out the balance for Dynamax without having to worry about Mega Evolution and Z-Moves on top of it. Instead, they took the basic principles of those mechanics and devised a new way to work them in that fit better with what they were trying to do for this game.

I suppose that's a difference in these viewpoints - I'm not exactly concerned with the coherence of the Pokémon "universe." I think each of the games are designed more as self-contained projects that all call for their own things.

How so? See, to me it's just another battle mechanic

So to you, perhaps the plot and lore they attach to Mega Evolution is just fluff, but some people take fluff very seriously. Some don't of course, hence the name fluff.

But nonetheless, just because you find fluff unimportant, doesn't mean the perspective that it is important is invalid.

For example, suppose there was an X and Y remake. As (perhaps) you would have it, it's not essential in theory in preserve Mega Evolutions in the game, but others would say it's essential. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it's at least a coherent perspective that it's important, don't you think?

Unfortunately, the prospects of lore continuity kinda flew out the window the second Zinnia brought up the multiverse in the Delta Episode; now everything can be hand-waved away simply by saying “it’s a different world”.

I’m not entirely convinced we’ve seen the last of Mega Evolution though...maybe the DP remakes can bring it back and reconnect it to the Draconid tribe, since all the box legendaries are part dragon after all. Then we can have multiple unique metas where each battle style and group of Pokémon gets more of a chance to shine. That would partly redeem the questionable choice of no national dex in my eyes.

Last edited:
For example, suppose there was an X and Y remake. As (perhaps) you would have it, it's not essential in theory in preserve Mega Evolutions in the game, but others would say it's essential. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it's at least a coherent perspective that it's important, don't you think?
The Hoenn culture of ORAS is closely tied to mega evolution, but it doesn't even exist in the Hoenn of RS.

Each new game is it's own thing, people. The 3DS games solidified this fact. They could very easily not include megas in an XY remake.

Something being in an old game does not mean it should or will be in the next. Each game is a new universe in the Pokémon multiverse that has its own rules. If you want to talk about fluff being important, that's the most important fluff there is for any Pokémon game.

Each new game is it's own thing, people.

Something we already knew, yet is irrelevant on the question of if that's how it should be. Deriving ought from is a fallacy.

Whether Mega Evolution lore should be retained in purely a matter of taste. For matters of taste, its coherence establishes its acceptability.

If it were incorrect, it should be capable of being demonstrated wrong with empirically supported reasoning. But it can't be, because matters of taste simply don't work that way. They can't be true or false.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom