• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Speaking of, I really cannot see Gigantamax as an "improved" or "re-balancing" of Mega Pokemon cause the feature doesn't even extend to Mega forms. If a Lucario could somehow gigantamax into a giant Mega Lucario, then it would be more fair and an actual restructuring of an old feature. But that isn't what is happening. The old Mega forms have essentially been scrapped altogether.

While this is a fair interpretation of the information we have, it's not outside the realm of possibility that it is the case that Mega Evolution forms have been all folded into Gigantamax even though the Mega Evolution mechanic is confirmed to not return. It makes sense so, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with that.

Saw the trailer. Gigantamaxing looks cool. One problem: new fairy Pokemon, Alcremie's G-Form is lame. A giant cake? really? Sorry, but the other two forms look way more intimidating, especially Drednaw's.

Well a giant cake is kind of intimidating, can you imagine just how poor it’s nutritional value is?

I literally am still laughing at Alcremie’s design overall.

That would only work if every Mega and Z move were reworked, but if that were the case, they wouldn't have said that those features are gone.
Something something duck.

I'm not GameFreak, nor do I have future vision, so it's all just speculation. But there are an awful lot of similarities, and we've already seen Pokemon that could mega evolve, or that had species specific Z-movies in the trailers. So I don't think it's wholly impossible for them to receive something similar in Galar. I'm not counting on it exactly, but...

The problem is that the leak suggested that not only final stages get Gigantamax form. We’ll have to wait and see.

I was quite sure Corviknight wasn’t going to have another stage because it was described as the strongest Pokémon in Galar skies. Drednaw was also stated to be difficult to tame, so it’s not surprising that both might not have another form.
Hope those gigantamaxed forms got other abilities. Did we saw their typings in that trailer for those forms? Or serebii assumes too quickly that nothing will change?

Hope those gigantamaxed forms got other abilities. Did we saw their typings in that trailer for those forms? Or serebii assumes too quickly that nothing will change?

Pretty much everything that Serebii posts on an official news day like this is from the official Sword & Shield site. None of the three Gigantamax Pokémon revealed today have different types or abilities; the point of it is having access to the special G-Max moves.

These forms aren't as similar to Megas as people are making them out to be. For crying out loud, they are almost confirmed to include two unevolved Pokemon.

I would count typing and ability changes out.

It kind of essentially is, even GF themselves say it's combining the 2
But that just destroys their point about balancing the games. They didn't basically remove overpowered features, they just replaced some overpowered pokemon with some others. The problem is that Garchomp and Tyranitar will continue their lives even without It, Mawile and Kanga won't.
Not counting that Charizard is gonna get its giga form right after its two megas while those poor Blastoise and Venusaur will probably just get rid of the only thing that made then almost at the same level of Charizard. Not speaking about Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr which have simply accepted at this point that GF doesn't just care about them....

But that just destroys their point about balancing the games. They didn't basically remove overpowered features, they just replaced some overpowered pokemon with some others. The problem is that Garchomp and Tyranitar will continue their lives even without It, Mawile and Kanga won't.
Not counting that Charizard is gonna get its giga form right after its two megas while those poor Blastoise and Venusaur will probably just get rid of the only thing that made then almost at the same level of Charizard. Not speaking about Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr which have simply accepted at this point that GF doesn't just care about them....
Well Mawile and Kanga losing their Megas won't matter if they're not in -w-. But still Gigantamax is far more hindered than megas causee it only lasts 3 turns anyway. So unlike megas you don't completely bank your play on one pokemon

Well Mawile and Kanga losing their Megas won't matter if they're not in -w-. But still Gigantamax is far more hindered than megas causee it only lasts 3 turns anyway. So unlike megas you don't completely bank your play on one pokemon
You still will. Z-moves were just moves and yet a pokemon with the right z-move at the right moment could change the game completely.
And by the way...there are some (no more) Megas in the games: Charizard, Gengar, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Lucario (who will all survive to the loss) and Steelix, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glaie, Abomasnow (who will not).

You still will. Z-moves were just moves and yet a pokemon with the right z-move at the right moment could change the game completely.
And by the way...there are some (no more) Megas in the games: Charizard, Gengar, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Lucario (who will all survive to the loss) and Steelix, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glaie, Abomasnow (who will not).
Most of those pokemon can handle their own though. Most of those are at the very least UU in smogon terms. Plus Charizard is almost guaranteed to have a G-Max form so it should be fine.

I’m still holding onto the theory that Megas will come back as G-Max forms, with the difference that they now trade unlimited time with the ability to hold items and use exclusive G-Max Moves.

Probably the whole “Mega Evolutions are gone” is just in the sense of Mega Evolutions per se, as they may be reworked so that they can be used more creatively and with more careful planning, and be a bit less of a win button.

Also, there could be some G-Max forms that change ability as well. After all, some Megas have the same Ability as their base form — ex. Mega Scizor having Technician and Mega Tyranitar keeping Sand Stream — so I wouldn’t exclude the possibility just yet.

However, I wonder: will Gigamax Pokémon be able to use Dynamax, or they are stuck to their exclusive transformations?

I’m still holding onto the theory that Megas will come back as G-Max forms, with the difference that they now trade unlimited time with the ability to hold items and use exclusive G-Max Moves.

Probably the whole “Mega Evolutions are gone” is just in the sense of Mega Evolutions per se, which are reworked so that they can be used more creatively.

Also, there could be some G-Max forms that change ability as well. After all, some Megas have the same Ability as their base form — ex. Mega Scizor having Technician and Mega Tyranitar keeping Sand Stream — so I wouldn’t exclude the possibility just yet.

However, I wonder: will Gigamax Pokémon be able to use Dynamax, or they are stuck to their exclusive transformations?
Based on the way they talked about it and the way you capture it, I think it’s a shift between the two, with a Gigantamax Coviknight not being able to Dynamax.

But the whole situation is complex, as we have still no clue what the Dynamax level means.

My hope is that Gigantamaxing is different enough from Dynamaxing without being inherently better. Then it would function more as the more balanced replacement for Megas and Z-moves Game Freak seems to be telling us it is.

My hope is that Gigantamaxing is different enough from Dynamaxing without being inherently better. Then it would function more as the more balanced replacement for Megas and Z-moves Game Freak seems to be telling us it is.
Well, for what we know right now...HP of the Pokemon increase, moves become stronger, pokemon get bigger. How different does it look to you?

In terms of what the Dynamax level does, I hope my theory on the skill point system is true. Though probably for Gigantamax a some points would automatically be assigned to a certain stat

Well… what would be the difference between Dyna Corviknight and Giga Corviknight, for example? Is there something to justify using one form over the other in a team?

Maybe Dynamax can have multiple “layers” thanks to the Dynamax levels, while Gigamax is fixed to one “level” but has other unique perks, including the exclusive G-Max Move?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom