• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

The Gigantamax forms are a lot rarer, so it stands to reason that they are better thanks to their moves.

Megas were not designed with size or overpowered moves in mind, so I don't know why Game Freak would force them into the game like this and tell fans not to expect them. Not to mention that they want to promote new designs. After all the teasing, is Charizard going to Gigantamax into a 6-year old form that is just bigger? I think not. Let sleeping dogs lie and hope for their revival in remakes.

Last edited:
Also one thing that makes me happy is that Gen 8 mons aren't excluded from get Gigantamax forms meaning the starters more than likely have some of their own. Which is great cause this is not playing out like Gen 6 did where no Gen 6 pokemon got any megas, nor the starters, IN THEIR OWN GEN!

Well a giant cake is kind of intimidating, can you imagine just how poor it’s nutritional value is?
Well, that would be a RECIPE for disaster when it comes to health...

If having different dex entries for different forms comes back from Gen 7, I think it's highly likely that something along these lines will be in Gigantimax Alcremie's entry.

In terms of what the Dynamax level does, I hope my theory on the skill point system is true. Though probably for Gigantamax a some points would automatically be assigned to a certain stat
I wish for the same thing and also agree about Gigantimaxing having fixed boosts.

Well… what would be the difference between Dyna Corviknight and Giga Corviknight, for example? Is there something to justify using one form over the other in a team?

Maybe Dynamax can have multiple “layers” thanks to the Dynamax levels, while Gigamax is fixed to one “level” but has other unique perks, including the exclusive G-Max Move?

It's hard to say because based on what we've seen Giga Corviknight doesn't change type the way a Mega would. But if they do reincorporate some of the Mega designs or just elements of the previous mechanic (new typing, ability, different allocation of stat changes, etc.), then we have a difference between Dynamax and Gigantamax that may encourage players to really think about their decision. We'll just have to wait and see.

I feel that if any change in ability or typing were to occur in Pokémon capable of Gigantimax, those changes would be applyed to the base form rather than the transformation itself.

For example, say a Gigantimaxing Charizard was a Fire/Dragon dual type with the Drought ability. Instead of this change being limited to its three-turn Gigantimax form, the Charizard in question would have that typing and ability from the get-go. The same scenario would also be the case with other Pokémon capable of Gigantimax.

This would add a strategic element as well since your opponent wouldn't be sure if you plan on having that Pokémon Gigantimax or simply planning to have another Pokémon use Dynamax/Gigantimax instead.

I'm really not liking this. I don't like how Gigantimax takes away Megas and Z-moves and make them both obsolete in a way that worst as its only available to not just particular species but also particular members of the said species.

What's worse is I love the giant cake pokemon but knowing I'll prob never see it again outside of this generation, I'm just not inclined towards getting interested at all.

I'm really not liking this. I don't like how Gigantimax takes away Megas and Z-moves and make them both obsolete in a way that worst as its only available to not just particular species but also particular members of the said species.

The way I see it is more of a reconciliation of Mega Evos and Z-Moves, but I can understand where you're coming from, especially when GF is on this trend of cutting perfectly good mechanics for no good reason

Charizard should have been left out of Galar. No one was really worried about it, actually.

Nah, gotta remind everyone that Kanto is always around the corner, even in a non-Kanto region. Haha.

I literally am still laughing at Alcremie’s design overall.

What people wanted: National Dex
What people got: A 10-tiered cake gargantuan

We haven't been given much of an origin on Dynamax yet, but what if the Galar region was the country that the Kalos region was fighting with in AZ's time, and while the Ultimate Weapon lead to Mega Evolution in Kalos, a similar weapon in the Galar region (that was ultimately destroyed by AZ's weapon) resulted in Dynamax?

A simple explanation for the lack of Mega Evolutions is that the Dynamax energy flowing throughout Galar neutralizes Mega Stones and Z-crystals.

Or they just... won't mention Megas or Z-Moves.

Half the people playing SwoShi won't even remember all that AZ war stuff

If having different dex entries for different forms comes back from Gen 7, I think it's highly likely that something along these lines will be in Gigantimax Alcremie's entry.

It's sort of already there, on the official site:
The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes. This gives Alcremie a truly impressive resistance to physical attacks. Additionally, the giant “Berry” decorations on Alcremie’s body are as hard as diamonds, and it’s said that most attacks won’t even be able to leave a scratch. Alcremie will launch high-calorie cream missiles around itself to attack its opponents. Any Pokémon that touches this cream will be filled with energy and euphoria but at the same time will fall into a state of complete confusion.

not replacement... only they show that now in this game they aren't there for now and we start in a new region , new trainers without knowing other regions mechanics. I think in the anime we will get megas and z-moves regular to it to see how it works. Maybe even in Alola a Galar trainer with a D-max or G-max form will show up.

we will get next gen Megas and Z-moves probably to see how they will cope with it.

Imagine a D-maxed or G-maxed pokemon vs a Mega or a Z-move, will be interesting.

Interesting will be to see the form change when it comes to type, abilities because I can't belive only the moves are special?

a water attack that lies also stealth rocks the same turn? Drednaw my new best friend.

What if G-max forms are only 2 turns and D-max forms are 3 turns?
or G-max will waint after 3 turn and D-max revert to base forms?

Last edited:
G-Max Drednaw is my new enemy since I like my fire types... I want to OHKO that thing with grass knot.

1 hit OHKO moves, those also may get redemption.
(would make them work like last resort that when you use them last, 4 place as move slot then it works with 100%)

Interesting will be to see how G-max is different then D-max they could have shown something by now more how it works.

I really hope that Dynamax and Gigamax will coexist without one foreshadowing the other. Kinda like how Garchomp and Mega Garchomp are both very useful on their own and have different role, even if one of them is usually better than the other.

So, it would be nice that if Gigamax is supposed to be the better transformation, it won’t totally outclass Dynamax. Be the preferable choice in some scenarios, not the absolute choice in all scenarios.

It's hard to say because based on what we've seen Giga Corviknight doesn't change type the way a Mega would. But if they do reincorporate some of the Mega designs or just elements of the previous mechanic (new typing, ability, different allocation of stat changes, etc.), then we have a difference between Dynamax and Gigantamax that may encourage players to really think about their decision. We'll just have to wait and see.
So far none of the Gigantamax pokemon change type or ability so I guess that just leaves stat changes which I think would hardly be worth it when they're only active for three turns.

So far none of the Gigantamax pokemon change type or ability so I guess that just leaves stat changes which I think would hardly be worth it when they're only active for three turns.

But then the Q becomes what stats will change? Will it be three turns of pure sweeping if you don't change your Pokémon? :confused:

Didn't someone already figure out a while back that, pending whatever Dynamax Level is about, Dynamax doesn't change anything but the HP stat? In which case, the reason to use it despite there being no stat boost would probably be the ability to use the stronger Max Moves for three turns.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom