• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Why even bother creating the Gigantimax Forms then? They could have just incorporated G-Max moves as a Pokémon's signature Max Move in that case.
Well, not all pokemon can Gigantamax, even within the same species. You need to obtain a special Corviknight to be able to use Gigantamax Corviknight and thus Corviknight's G-Max move.

Well, not all pokemon can Gigantamax, even within the same species. You need to obtain a special Corviknight to be able to use Gigantamax Corviknight and thus Corviknight's G-Max move.
And that's another problem; you have to go out of your way to catch something just for a particular move. Other than that, there's literally nothing else to differentiate Gigantimax form from regular Dynamax mechanics-wise. At least with Z-Moves, you could use a species signature Z-Move with any member of that species (that has that particular move) without having to go out and catch a brand new instance of that species.

The very least Game Freak could do is give some of the Pokémon capable of Gigantimaxing a type change/ability change for the base form, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

And that's another problem; you have to go out of your way to catch something just for a particular move. Other than that, there's literally nothing else to differentiate Gigantimax form from regular Dynamax mechanics-wise. At least with Z-Moves, you could use a species signature Z-Move with any member of that species (that has that particular move) without having to go out and catch a brand new instance of that species.

The very least Game Freak could do is give some of the Pokémon capable of Gigantimaxing a type change/ability change for the base form, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
I suppose those moves might have their uses as much as the species-specific Z-crystals did. It's just taking the concept and taking it a step further, as well as giving people a little something more to hunt for besides shinies. (Imagine having to hunt for a shiny that can Gigantamax!)

I don't think it's a big deal, really. We still need more information on what Dynamax levels even do anyway.

Hey you guys think Tyranitar and Kommo-o have Gigantamax forms? When I think about it, Larvitar and Jangmo-o are weird pre order bonuses, cause according to the bonus you can get Tyranitar and Kommo-o later in game but having the bonus let's you have them sooner. It just sounds like a waste to have as a bonus, unless there's something special about the two of them, such Gigantamax form for their finals. This also makes sense cause the site says you have to catch G-Max pokemon via raids, and you get the two of them via raids

Hey you guys think Tyranitar and Kommo-o have Gigantamax forms? When I think about it, Larvitar and Jangmo-o are weird pre order bonuses, cause according to the bonus you can get Tyranitar and Kommo-o later in game but having the bonus let's you have them sooner. It just sounds like a waste to have as a bonus, unless there's something special about the two of them, such Gigantamax form for their finals. This also makes sense cause the site says you have to catch G-Max pokemon via raids, and you get the two of them via raids
I think the preorder bonus may indicate that they will have Gigantamax forms, yeah.

I think I said it in another thread but- if they turned out to be Godzilla references wouldn't surprise me either, what with the managing director of Toho joining the TPC board of directors and Tyranitar already being Godzilla-ish anyway. If Kommo-o turns entirely gold or grows a couple more heads, then I totally called it.

We still need more information on what Dynamax levels even do anyway.
That’s definitely what I’m waiting for. So far, what we know about both Dynamax and Gigantamax is how they seem to simply be Z-Moves + HP boost, which don’t really seem like things that require leveling up. There’s got to be something more going on here; it’s definitely something that I feel will make or break the mechanic(s) as a whole.

It’s possible, though I guess another appeal is having a pseudolegendary Pokémon early in the game. Depending on the level scale of the game, you may get the final stage before your version’s pseudolegendaries are available in the game.

Mobile's not letting me quote, but re: Gigantamax starter, that would mean the game actively encouraged you to replace your first Pokemon. I can't really see that happening. And since every Pokemon is capable of Dynamaxing, I wouldn't put much stock in seeing Grookey do it.

Well, maybe the starter won’t be able to Gigamax until it reaches the final stage or unlocks the mode during the story.

It could be almost like getting the starters’ signature Z-Crystals in SM, with the difference that they would get G-Max instead.

I guess Gigantamax being available to only special Pokémon if some species will be the excuse for removing it in Gen XI.
Also, don't the Max Moves look broken?

I think the preorder bonus may indicate that they will have Gigantamax forms, yeah.

I think I said it in another thread but- if they turned out to be Godzilla references wouldn't surprise me either, what with the managing director of Toho joining the TPC board of directors and Tyranitar already being Godzilla-ish anyway. If Kommo-o turns entirely gold or grows a couple more heads, then I totally called it.

Kommo-o would probably be another kaiju considering Hydreigon is an easier fit for King Ghidorah, Titanosaurus perhaps?

With that said, I'm curious if Hydreigon and Goodra would be added alongside them. All four were revealed as fellow version exclusives and they're all popular Pokemon, so they would be easy sells for the mechanic.

So, will Golurk get a Gigantamax reminiscent of Mechas since some media depicts them being used to fight Kaiju?

Kommo-o would probably be another kaiju considering Hydreigon is an easier fit for King Ghidorah, Titanosaurus perhaps?

With that said, I'm curious if Hydreigon and Goodra would be added alongside them. All four were revealed as fellow version exclusives and they're all popular Pokemon, so they would be easy sells for the mechanic.
Hydreigon would be easy to just turn gold, sure, but I think the reference would be more interesting and look less obvious on Kommo-o, since it already has gold in its coloration whereas obvious gold-colored Hydreigon is obvious.

Hydreigon would be easy to just turn gold, sure, but I think the reference would be more interesting and look less obvious on Kommo-o, since it already has gold in its coloration whereas obvious gold-colored Hydreigon is obvious.

To be fair, I doubt they'd be too on the nose in either example. Pokemon is never 1:1 in its references and even (Mega) Tyranitar has a number of differences from Godzilla. So I imagine if Hydreigon was to take more cues from Ghidorah they'd be more subtle about it, such as giving it three proper heads or giving it a lightning motif.

Edit: Plus I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea for Kommo-o to reuse Hydreigon's concept of a hydra, particularly since there are more unique deviations that they could take its concept without stepping on another Pokemon's toes.

Last edited:
To be fair, I doubt they'd be too on the nose in either example. Pokemon is never 1:1 in its references and even (Mega) Tyranitar has a number of differences from Godzilla. So I imagine if Hydreigon was to take more cues from Ghidorah they'd be more subtle about it, such as giving it three proper heads or giving it a lightning motif.

Edit: Plus I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea for Kommo-o to reuse Hydreigon's concept of a hydra, particularly since there are more unique deviations that they could take its concept without stepping on another Pokemon's toes.
Why not? We have so many dragons, two unicorns, some wyverns- as a hydra, Hydreigon is a very poor example anyway, since its spare heads are more like sock puppets.

I don't expect it to be 1:1, but I think for a King Ghidorah reference, it would be more natural to make it with Kommo-o, since that gold coloration is such a main aesthetic feature and it would be a lot harder to make the reference as subtly using black and blue Hydreigon than it would be if they used already partially gold Kommo-o instead. Because without that gold, Hydreigon is just a hydra. And substituting that color for a lightning motif would just look confusing without a type change.

Plus there's just the fact that Larvitar and Jangmo-o are both being offered as a preorder bonus- with Tyranitar already being such a Godzilla, treating Kommo-o as its version-exclusive counterpart puts Godzilla's arch enemy as a likely candidate.

Honestly, I could see Kommo-o just turning gold, sprouting wings and maybe gaining some head-like features. I don't think that it would go true hydra either. Which is kind of a shame since our current "hydra" sucks.

Edit: Haha, totally just realized that I'm saying Hydreigon sucks to someone named Zweilous. XD To be fair, though- Zweilous is the superior hydra anyway.

Volcarona is Rodan, I can feel it

Why not? We have so many dragons, two unicorns, some wyverns- as a hydra, Hydreigon is a very poor example anyway, since its spare heads are more like sock puppets.

There's a difference between making a new Pokémon that's a hydra, and turning a Pokémon that's completely unrelated to hydras into one. Kommo-o has nothing to do with the concept, nothing about it has to do with multiple heads, it's not a violent Pokémon and is instead peaceful, and it doesn't even have minor traits like poison. Its basis is that of a South Asian warrior fused with a dinosaur, and that's the concept they should play into if they do a Gigantimaxed form, turning it into something else would be a waste of its otherwise cool concept.

I don't expect it to be 1:1, but I think for a King Ghidorah reference, it would be more natural to make it with Kommo-o, since that gold coloration is such a main aesthetic feature and it would be a lot harder to make the reference as subtly using black and blue Hydreigon than it would be if they used already partially gold Kommo-o instead. Because without that gold, Hydreigon is just a hydra. And substituting that color for a lightning motif would just look confusing without a type change.

I'm sorry, but I don't get your logic here. How does Kommo-o being gold allow it to be King Ghidorah while Hydreigon being a hydra doesn't work just because it's black and blue? If anything, Kommo-o's lack of anything relating to King Ghidorah such as not being a hydra, flight, electricity, or any other traits related to the character would make it a less viable candidate. It's especially the case since it's not hard to change a color scheme or typing, just look at Mega Charizard X.

Plus there's just the fact that Larvitar and Jangmo-o are both being offered as a preorder bonus- with Tyranitar already being such a Godzilla, treating Kommo-o as its version-exclusive counterpart puts Godzilla's arch enemy as a likely candidate.

That's assuming that they're playing into that relationship. Even though Tyranitar is treated as a Godzilla expy by Pokémon on ocassion, that doesn't mean every Pokémon related to it is a Godzilla expy itself. Aggron was a counterpart to Tyranitar in XY yet it didn't turn into King Ghidorah out of nowhere either (if anything, it was MechaGodzilla), so we can't assume that Kommo-o will turn into King Ghidorah, especially when there are other kaijus that can work with its concept.

Honestly, I could see Kommo-o just turning gold, sprouting wings and maybe gaining some head-like features. I don't think that it would go true hydra either. Which is kind of a shame since our current "hydra" sucks.

Edit: Haha, totally just realized that I'm saying Hydreigon sucks to someone named Zweilous. XD To be fair, though- Zweilous is the superior hydra anyway.

You know, I get a sense of bias from this conversation, don't know why though. :p

I'm sorry, but I don't get your logic here. How does Kommo-o being gold allow it to be King Ghidorah while Hydreigon being a hydra doesn't work just because it's black and blue?
Really more to the fact that if they painted Hydreigon gold, the reference would be hella obviously intentional. I feel that they would go with something more subtle by taking a dragon that already has gold scales on it to begin with, because it'd be less of a neon sign saying "See what I did there?" They can subtly make Kommo-o more Ghidorah-like, but they can't really subtly make Hydreigon more Ghidorah-like.

That's assuming that they're playing into that relationship. Even though Tyranitar is treated as a Godzilla expy by Pokémon on ocassion, that doesn't mean every Pokémon related to it is a Godzilla expy itself. Aggron was a counterpart to Tyranitar in XY yet it didn't turn into King Ghidorah out of nowhere either (if anything, it was MechaGodzilla), so we can't assume that Kommo-o will turn into King Ghidorah, especially when there are other kaijus that can work with its concept.
Well, if there was ever a time to make kaiju references with designs, it would be with Gigantamax considering the... ya know, huge size thing. So if they were to make Godzilla references, the most notable thing they could do is reference the Godzilla/King Ghidorah feud with the two version exclusives, since being version exclusives puts them on different "sides."

You know, I get a sense of bias from this conversation, don't know why though. :p
=P Maybe because Zweilous was a perfectly good hydra baby and they ruined it with sock puppets.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom