• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Giga-Corviknight
Giga-Alcremie
Makes sense. Is short and hope the english anime will go in that direction.
Hope they use Giga and Gigamax and Dyna-max if something. G-max and D-max would be the best solution for games , anime and fans around the world. Giganta can be used when introducing it.

Cursed Body and disable now then ever makes sense. With such powerfull moves and pokemon coming.

Hmmm weird why they choose this ones? So early? Interesting how early in game we will be able to get G-maxed pokemon? One of those 3?

Last edited:
Giga-Corviknight
Giga-Alcremie
Makes sense. Is short and hope the english anime will go in that direction.
Hope they use Giga and Gigamax and Dyna-max if something. G-max and D-max would be the best solution for games , anime and fans around the world. Giganta can be used when introducing it.

Cursed Body and disable now then ever makes sense. With such powerfull moves and pokemon coming.

Hmmm weird why they choose this ones? So early? Interesting how early in game we will be able to get G-maxed pokemon? One of those 3?
Well you can access Max Raids once you reach the Wild Area, which reportedly is after about two hours. So as soon as you can get to one of those, theoretically you've got a chance at finding a G-maxable pokemon.

I think what bugs me more is that Milo is clearly one of the early gyms if not the very first gym and obviously we're jumping right into the Dynamax thing from the get-go. They really just did not make this feature special in any way.

It could be traded in, though, so it wasn't totally inaccessible. =/ Not the same as not being able to get one to breed anything at all.

Indeed, but you couldn’t get one until FR/LG were released, hacks notwithstanding.

And if we’ll get the DP remakes and they have Ditto — which they should, since iirc Ditto was in the DP Pokédex — you should be able to breed Pokémon there. This is assuming that Ditto is indeed removed, of course.

However, I seriously doubt they will scrap Ditto and Smeargle. They are aware about breeding in general, as evidenced with items like the Oval Charm and Destiny Knot’s special effects, so I don’t think they will remove those Pokémon as they are literally essential for various reasons.

And if we’ll get the DP remakes and they have Ditto — which they should, since iirc Ditto was in the DP Pokédex — you should be able to breed Pokémon there. This is assuming that Ditto is indeed removed, of course.
Ditto wasn’t in the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Pokédex. It was only available in the post-game via PokéRadar in D/P and randomly in the Trophy Garden in Platinum.

Indeed, but you couldn’t get one until FR/LG were released, hacks notwithstanding.

However, I seriously doubt they will scrap Ditto and Smeargle. They are aware about breeding in general, as evidenced with items like the Oval Charm and Destiny Knot’s special effects, so I don’t think they will remove those Pokémon as they are literally essential for various reasons.
You might not be able to breed Galar's starters there, though, since they're not part of Sinnoh's pokedex.

Well you can access Max Raids once you reach the Wild Area, which reportedly is after about two hours. So as soon as you can get to one of those, theoretically you've got a chance at finding a G-maxable pokemon.

I think what bugs me more is that Milo is clearly one of the early gyms if not the very first gym and obviously we're jumping right into the Dynamax thing from the get-go. They really just did not make this feature special in any way.
Its special but better now. They learned from Kalos that it should be early. Weird that no new bugs with it.

____

Hmmm do you think ghost and dark type D-Max moves may get a effect like causing Memento, Curse , Trapping, Disable, Confusion? (G-max move that causes sleep???)
Status rising and lowering would be to low key... Psychic make sense to call Trick Room.
Steel and dragon would be problematic, poison(poison status) and bug (rising all stats).
Maybe some could switch oponents pokemon out? Work like intimidate? dragon?
Hmm what type would deserve all status rising like ancient power does? dragon?

Other types like grass/rock moves get terrains and weather effects.

Its special but better now. They learned from Kalos that it should be early.
I have to disagree... if you get it right off the bat for your first gym match, it stops being interesting very quickly. For one, your first introduction to it is with your starter being giant and I gotta say that the giant first stages look more ridiculous than cool. After that, for the whole rest of the game, the mechanic just swiftly loses appeal because it's just giant pokemon battles for eight gyms, the tournament, and Max Raids. You wind up using it so much that by the middle of the game it's already old hat.

If it had been later game, it would have been more impressive, because having it later game says "wow this is powerful" instead of "wow giant pokemon are just a mundane thing here." They made it too normal and that totally changes it from special to meh.

I have to disagree... if you get it right off the bat for your first gym match, it stops being interesting very quickly. For one, your first introduction to it is with your starter being giant and I gotta say that the giant first stages look more ridiculous than cool. After that, for the whole rest of the game, the mechanic just swiftly loses appeal because it's just giant pokemon battles for eight gyms, the tournament, and Max Raids. You wind up using it so much that by the middle of the game it's already old hat.

If it had been later game, it would have been more impressive, because having it later game says "wow this is powerful" instead of "wow giant pokemon are just a mundane thing here." They made it too normal and that totally changes it from special to meh.

I mean, it's supposed to be a major fixture of the region's culture. Their entire Gym system is formed around the skeleton of Dynamaxing. After presumably many years of this being a readily observable phenomenon, I don't think the crowds would need to be impressed by how powerful and unique Dynamax is, but rather by how effectively the Trainer can use it. Battles are sport to them. The crowds are biting their nails in anticipation of when the Dynamax will come out. Like, people irl still get excited for sports and mark out when their favorite players make game-changing moves, but how often are new, never-before-seen footballs maneuvers invented?

That being said, I'm not sure they "learned from Kalos that it should be early," because Mega Evolution is available to you pretty early in those games. Right after Badge #3. I don't think that's the problem, though - I'd rather have these features become available earlier because I want to have more of the game in which to experiment with them. Everything gets old eventually, but if it's actually going to be a good addition, it should be able to make a case for itself beyond just ephemeral dazzle points. I think it's more important for the feature to actually add a substantial and interesting new angle to the otherwise formulaic gameplay that you'll be sitting through for the bulk of the time playing.

Personally, I'd say the problem with Mega Evolution was that it was so overpowered and so sparse among opponents that you never really had a reason to bother with it. The average NPC doesn't have access to Mega Evolution, and it's overkill to be whipping out a Mega Charizard just to handle a Weepinbell. Aside from the shitty demo battle with Korrina, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four don't use it, either - only Lysandre and Diantha do, and your rival in the post-game. Even in ORAS, only a couple more people than that can use it, most of whom are also in the post-game. That's something that I think Z-Moves and, by the looks of it, Dynamax have been smarter about. Max Raid Battles and the Gym Leaders using Dynamax gives you something in-game that actually justifies the usage of such a power and gets more mileage out of it. Z-Moves were similar, with the Kahunas, your rival, the route bosses, the Elite Four, and Kukui being able to use it during the main game, and with Totem Pokémon having an increased difficulty level compared to Gym Leaders that would be a bit more likely into pushing you to need it. I'll pretty gladly take something that makes the whole game more dynamic over something being thrown in at the last minute just to make it seem cool and unique (e.g. Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst).

The major problems with Megas and Z-moves were how spammable they were in the story. Literally no sense of worry when you have something so powerful under your belt ready to fire in any situation. But for Galar you only have 3 instances to use Dynamax, in Gym leader battle, raid battle and online. If anything it makes Dynamaxing feel more special in certain battles cause there's only so many times you use it. And it makes the battle feel more grand because you're going up against a superpowered version of a leader's ace and you have to counter it with your own in the most dynamic way.

I mean, it's supposed to be a major fixture of the region's culture. Their entire Gym system is formed around the skeleton of Dynamaxing. After presumably many years of this being a readily observable phenomenon, I don't think the crowds would need to be impressed by how powerful and unique Dynamax is, but rather by how effectively the Trainer can use it. Battles are sport to them. The crowds are biting their nails in anticipation of when the Dynamax will come out. Like, people irl still get excited for sports and mark out when their favorite players make game-changing moves, but how often are new, never-before-seen footballs maneuvers invented?

That being said, I'm not sure they "learned from Kalos that it should be early," because Mega Evolution is available to you pretty early in those games. Right after Badge #3. I don't think that's the problem, though - I'd rather have these features become available earlier because I want to have more of the game in which to experiment with them. Everything gets old eventually, but if it's actually going to be a good addition, it should be able to make a case for itself beyond just ephemeral dazzle points. I think it's more important for the feature to actually add a substantial and interesting new angle to the otherwise formulaic gameplay that you'll be sitting through for the bulk of the time playing.

Personally, I'd say the problem with Mega Evolution was that it was so overpowered and so sparse among opponents that you never really had a reason to bother with it. The average NPC doesn't have access to Mega Evolution, and it's overkill to be whipping out a Mega Charizard just to handle a Weepinbell. Aside from the shitty demo battle with Korrina, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four don't use it, either - only Lysandre and Diantha do, and your rival in the post-game. Even in ORAS, only a couple more people than that can use it, most of whom are also in the post-game. That's something that I think Z-Moves and, by the looks of it, Dynamax have been smarter about. Max Raid Battles and the Gym Leaders using Dynamax gives you something in-game that actually justifies the usage of such a power and gets more mileage out of it. Z-Moves were similar, with the Kahunas, your rival, the route bosses, the Elite Four, and Kukui being able to use it during the main game, and with Totem Pokémon having an increased difficulty level compared to Gym Leaders that would be a bit more likely into pushing you to need it. I'll pretty gladly take something that makes the whole game more dynamic over something being thrown in at the last minute just to make it seem cool and unique (e.g. Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst).
To an extent, I agree? Like I get that Dynamax is part of the region's culture and I think that is kind of better than how they handled Mega Evolution to an extent. My argument is more that it shouldn't be in one of the first gyms... there ought to be more of a build up, getting it maybe closer to the middle of the story, especially for this particular mechanic where most of the gimmick is just making your pokemon huge. Making them bigger and more powerful has this "wow" factor to it that quickly disappears when the first time you use it is like... right out of the gate. The first gym is never that much of a challenge so to go in with the super powerful mechanic right away just takes away the "holy crap so strong" impression and leaves you with "obligatory flashy huge power mechanic" for every major fight in the game. It's treated more normal and less special and so I feel that it just comes off as being less impressive overall? Like they killed the impression that it could have had by putting it so early in the game.

Personally, I like that Dynamax will be available as early as the first gym. Not only because that highlights the importance of it to Galar's culture, but since we can only use it in a select few locations (unlike Z-Moves and Megas) it gives us more opportunity to see it and get used to it.

Plus, just a theory of mine, I feel like as we progress through the story, the focus will shift from Dynamaxing to Gigantamaxing. And if that will be the case, getting introduced to Dynamaxing as soon as possible makes more sense.

@Matleo Having the Ghost-type Max Move inflict Curse sounds like an interesting idea.
And dark could actually trap or make oponent flinch.
Steel is like a cage and traps, bug realese infestation, poison coul set up toxic spikes? Ground spikes or maybe we will get sandy terrain?
____
Did someone tried to count % of how bigger a D-max is from a regular form and how much from G-max? Then the same % should be weight. Maybe that % could reveal total stats of a G-max pokemon. How are D-max snd G-max different % when it comes to Hp?

Last edited:
Actually Dark and Steel have already had their effects revealed. They're a buff and a debuff respectively. Dark lower enemy Sp.Def, and Steel increases Def. Also we are not sure just yet about stat increasing for G-max, but it seems they keep the 50% increase to health

Last edited:
Ground spikes or maybe we will get sandy terrain?
Sandy Terrain while we already have Sandstorm as a weather effect seems kind of redundant. It also technically already exists, it just doesn’t have any in-battle effects unless you use Secret Power, Nature Power or Camoflague.

Actually Dark and Steel have already had their effects revealed. They're a buff and a debuff respectively. Dark lower enemy Sp.Def, and Steel increases Def. Also we are not sure just yet about stat increasing for G-max, but it seems they keep the 50% increase to health
lame, a little.

Sandy Terrain while we already have Sandstorm as a weather effect seems kind of redundant. It also technically already exists, it just doesn’t have any in-battle effects unless you use Secret Power, Nature Power or Camoflague.

hmm sandstorm is rock type, sandy terrain would be ground typed.
Remember the battle Orange league Tauros vs Dragonite?
Sand could be used to change speed of ground types +1 and half power of flying and levitating pokemon attacks on land moving pokemon.
Ground pokemon could maybe gain defensive somehow? Change some moves... Ground moves on grassy terrain are halfed.
Here maybe half grass moves? together with sunny weather would be good for rock and ground, with sandstorm also(1,5 sp. def why not defense too???)
__

Minimize on G-max and D-max pokemon will work or fail?

Now if both mechanics would rise the pokemons weight new weight moves should come into play like, psychic(gravity bomb), ground(quick sand),
weight moves really should get back flinching or confuse or something taking what we will get in future.
_
New strategy to counter D-max/G-max

People complained about Fly, Dive, Phantom Force, Bounce, Dig... now the Semi invulnerable turn has a purpose to avoid enemies attack and deal on the start of the next one your own hit. Taking the 3 turn limit and power and nature of D and G-max moves it's a lot. They really could cause flinching or confuse state taking the nature and power level. Really good that first turn you avoid a hit on the start and second hit on the next turn because it forces a D-max or G-max pokemon to waste "2 turns" for one pokemon.

Phantom Force will break through Max Guards too...

Last edited:

Not to mention, Hatch Powers and things like the Battle Resort being structured as a perfect breeding spot. USUM even dropped that set of high-IV Ditto criminals on us. Not only are they aware of breeding, but in recent games they've continually tried to make it more user-friendly and accessible.

The first gym is never that much of a challenge so to go in with the super powerful mechanic right away just takes away the "holy crap so strong" impression and leaves you with "obligatory flashy huge power mechanic" for every major fight in the game. It's treated more normal and less special and so I feel that it just comes off as being less impressive overall? Like they killed the impression that it could have had by putting it so early in the game.

I don't feel like it really makes much of a difference, because it's kind of an inevitability. I think most of the initial "wow" factor will have already been burnt off from showing it in trailers and other promotional media. Like, it's BIG Pokémon... I think we all pretty much get that part of it by now, like we did with Z-Moves being Mega Moves. It's just like how people don't like them showing most of the new Pokémon before release day - because you get used to seeing them before you've even picked up the game, and so it becomes a little less exciting to actually encounter them. Except, with the Pokémon, there are going to be at least a handful that they don't show off. It's harder to maintain that with something like Z-Moves and Dynamax which, although they're designed to have visual flair (but then, so is everything), are more conceptual/tactical mechanics. Ultimately, I think most of us has probably made up our minds about the optics of the feature. And if anything is going to change a negative opinion about that now, surely it would be the actual functionality of it and the quality that it brings to the gameplay? Besides, in terms of worldbuilding, I feel like it would make less sense to exclude the earlier Galar Gyms from using it. It's such a cornerstone of the region's battling custom, and Milo and Nessa's Gyms are giant stadiums built to accommodate it too, just like all the others. I think pushing the feature further back into the game would feel kind of forced, in that regard. Like, we already know what all of this stuff is for - so why be so coy?

(Also, there's the factor of people playing in handheld mode - I think the idea of giant Pokémon is a pretty good idea when taking into account that people can play on their big-screen TVs now, but a lot of players surely won't be, and trying to make Dynamax to have the same kind of impact on those players seems like a losing battle.)

It mainly seems to be there for the sake of testing the power level of the switch in other words another way to make the graphics of the game look "cool" and appealing. Other than that this seems as a big downgrade from previous gimmicks. Gimmicks seem to exist as a way to keep battles interesting and not for them to get stale but for that the gimmicks themselves shouldn't be "stale"

Rather the gimmicks became mainstream now they try to create new ones to make it interesting and even chances. Like with new abilities, moves and types.

Maybe G-max will have every stats rised 50%?

Last edited:
It won't be possible to use, it'll turn into a Max move instead.
I dont mean by a D or G max pokemon but against them.
_

In gen 1 anime we had gigantic Dragonite, Tentacruel, Alakazam, Gengar... Interesting if those get G-max?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom