• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Just a feeling that if they aren't planning on going out to make them different, they might not be planning on make much more outside that.....now that I think about, in SM we also only had 17 unique z moves.
They're not making the move animations different, but they're definitely making the Pokemon different.

Interesting if they do Max move exceptions? Like some signature moves? Spiky shield, spirit shakel, water shuriken?

Interesting how priority of Max moves and G-max moves will be?

Hmm G-Mr Mime with G-max Magical Wall, summons both light screen and reflect, protects and disables the oponents last move for 3turns?

They already are? That's what G-Max is.

I mean for D-max moves that wont get G-max? You know seperately. Flying Press?
Spiky Shield? I dont think every pokemon needs G-max but some should work differently maybe?

Interesting will be the special/physical split of Max moves. Like Swift.
Hope they will make different animations or do you all think that they will repeat Z-moves the both categories have the same name and animation style?

Last edited:
I mean for D-max moves that wont get G-max? You know seperately. Flying Press?
Spiky Shield? I dont think every pokemon needs G-max but some should work differently maybe?

Hope they will make different animations or do you all think that they will repeat Z-moves the both categories have the same name and animation style?
Flying Press and Spiky Shield would just convert to their type-equivalent Max Move. Flying Press will turn into Max Knuckle and Spiky Shield will turn into Max Overgrowth.

Not sure what you're misunderstanding about Dynamax when it comes to moves...

I don't think just making a new form is the problem. Especially when the form change is more dedicated to a move.
I never said making a new form would be the problem? You said that, because G-Max animations look similar to DMax animations, that you thought there would only be one GMax form for each type. I'm saying that, if GMax animations are already similar to DMax animations, there's not really any issue in making more Pokemon. If Alcreamie's G-Finale already looks similar to our Fairy DMax move, then what's stopping them from making another Fairy GMax move that looks similar to Fairy DMax and G-Finale? They've already made one move that resembles another.

And I don't think the form change is based around the move-why start with the concept of a finale with Alcreamie's GMax form? Whipped cream doesn't connect to finales very much. It makes more sense to think that they started with trying to expand on Alcreamie's idea and then came up with the move from there.
It'll behave the same as it always has...not sure why you singled out Swift, either.
It's been confirmed that this is how that's going to work.

Just a feeling that if they aren't planning on going out to make them different, they might not be planning on make much more outside that.....now that I think about, in SM we also only had 17 unique z moves.
Out of the unique Z-Moves, we had-
3 Electric
3 Ghost
2 Normal
2 Psychic
2 Fairy
1 Dark
1 Water
1 Rock
1 Dragon
1 Steel

I'm sure that even for Gigantamax, "rule of cool" will prevail over "let's make sure that we have a Max Move for every type... again."

Interesting if we could get a G-max grass move that could cause Ingrain, leech seed and grassy terrain at the same time?

A G-max water move that makes user dive and gain aqua ring and heal status?

Imagine a large bug with a Powder move that damages, works like Powder and causes paralyze.

A bug G-move move that activates infestation but would be a sound move at the same time that could confuse the foes hitting all pokemon.

Im thinking some G-max moves will be blockable somehow. Like Alcremies move should not work on Pokemon with Honey Gathering or when Healblock.

A G-max ball or bomb move?

A ground G-max move that works like dig, stealth rock, spikes ?

Remember giant Pallosand in Sun and Moon anime? Imagine shore up, sandstorm and arena trap in one?

Last edited:
This is a little late, but I’d like to post my thoughts and concerns regarding Gigantamax. Apologies if this is bad forum etiquette.

I’ll start with the bad first:

Since G-max involves new forms, I fear that it may reduce the number of new Pokémon we get. I believe the 28 or so Megas introduced in XY took resources away from the creation of Kalos Pokémon, contributing to the small number of new Pokémon in that gen. I’d much rather have totally new Pokémon rather than different forms, especially since it’s possible G-max forms will not be present in the next generations considering the fact that Megas and Z-moves aren’t in SwSh.

And now for the good:

Similar to Megas, G-max forms could possibly make certain Pokémon more viable competitively, as well as add a bit more strategy to battles than regular Dynamax. I also like how G-max forms are given to new Pokémon instead of just to old Pokémon like with Megas.

Taking that Total Stats changes with dynamax. We can asume that pokemon with large hp will gain the most?

Hmm max status has Mega Mewtwo 780. Arceus has 720, dynamax basecl would get 780 , we will see what g-max could bring out of it all.

Taking that Total Stats changes with dynamax. We can asume that pokemon with large hp will gain the most?

Hmm max status has Mega Mewtwo 780. Arceus has 720, dynamax basecl would get 780 , we will see what g-max could bring out of it all.
I've said it before, but given what we currently know about Dynamax (that it increases HP by 1.5x), out of the pokemon currently confirmed to be in Galar, Dynamax Wobbuffet would gain the most from it.

I've said it before, but given what we currently know about Dynamax (that it increases HP by 1.5x), out of the pokemon currently confirmed to be in Galar, Dynamax Wobbuffet would gain the most from it.
And others then it?

The amount of Pokemon benefitting has been significantly reduced by the fact that Status moves all convert into Max Guard, since defensive Pokemon tend to have the largest HP stats.

Some Z-Moves benefitted defensive Pokemon, but Dyanamx is going to benefit exactly zero of them. I guess most of its applications would be limited to either lengthening the life of frail powerful offensive Pokemon or sweeping with Bulky offensive Pokemon.

What other pokemon benefit? Out of those we know are in the game?
Technically every pokemon in the game benefits? It's a 50% boost to HP. Wobbuffet just benefits the most from it due to having the highest HP stat of the Pokémon currently known to be in Galar.

The amount of Pokemon benefitting has been significantly reduced by the fact that Status moves all convert into Max Guard, since defensive Pokemon tend to have the largest HP stats.

Some Z-Moves benefitted defensive Pokemon, but Dyanamx is going to benefit exactly zero of them. I guess most of its applications would be limited to either lengthening the life of frail powerful offensive Pokemon or sweeping with Bulky offensive Pokemon.
Well, unless a pokemon only has status moves, it still stands to benefit from having massive HP and boosted attacks for three turns. Wobbuffet has two attack moves in its learnset. It might not have as many moves to attack with, but it would still get the wobbenefit of having the highest possible HP in the game and two Max Moves to attack with.

I think Blissey might wind up not being in Galar, though, due to its high HP and larger attack pool. If they really did cut Pokémon for balance reasons, that would have been one big offender.

Well, unless a pokemon only has status moves, it still stands to benefit from having massive HP and boosted attacks for three turns.
Yeah, but the strategies of defensive Pokémon heavily center around status moves. If we ignore that, then like you said, every Pokemon is going to benefit from the stat boosts.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom