• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

One thing I loved about the alola games is that they translated Hawaii's attributes pretty well into the games.
It's had a history with invasive species and that not only is referenced by Yungoos but also the Ubs and the plot itself.
Then we have the Z moves which are all partially based on certain Hawaiian dances or gestures.
Id like more of that.

Weighing in on the subject I feel that at this point they're kind of in a case where their darned if they do and darned if they don't.
I do remember that a common complaint outside of the community for the first five generations was that Pokemon was extremely samey to the point that they're almost interchangeable.
I feel like ideas like megas and the like are ways to address VGC concerns while making each region feel distinct but IMO that idea can only go so far.
I think they should probably focus on each Region's culture like they somewhat did with Alola and based ideas around that.

I wouldn't say it's a case of damn if they do or damned if they don't, but rather it sound like they were trying to appeal to the opinions of people outside of the fanbase rather than those inside of it.

In my opinion, these battle gimmicks have been one of the worst parts of the recent gens.

With mega evolutions, they ended up being so centralizing to the point where you are at a huge disadvantage if you aren't running one. Meanwhile, Z moves were incredibly underpowered to the point of barely being used.

I'm unsure of what dynamaxing will be like, but it is looking like it will fall into the centralizing category as there is very few downsides to using one.

The fact that we need to have a discussion about whether we should be adding new/replacing old battle gimmicks is proof that these mechanics are a bit too detrimental to this series to keep around.

Gens 1 -5 were all doing their part of improving the formula while creating fun content so it isn't like the games were suffering because we lacked battle gimmicks.

Maybe, for Gen 9 we should drop all battle gimmicks or just focus on improving one we already have

A lore and culture shared across four regions. If Megas make Kalos unique, then evil teams should be considered unique. They're at least different across regions.
Well technically the lore was only shared across 2. Megas in Alola and Kanto were practically imported. Heck Kanto felt way outta nowhere. Also the evil team goals are relatively the same different costume. Most bosses aren't even memorable, except 3, Giovanni, Ghetsis, and Guzma. The 3 Gs

I wouldn't say it's a case of damn if they do or damned if they don't, but rather it sound like they were trying to appeal to the opinions of people outside of the fanbase rather than those inside of it.

In my opinion, these battle gimmicks have been one of the worst parts of the recent gens.

With mega evolutions, they ended up being so centralizing to the point where you are at a huge disadvantage if you aren't running one. Meanwhile, Z moves were incredibly underpowered to the point of barely being used.

I'm unsure of what dynamaxing will be like, but it is looking like it will fall into the centralizing category as there is very few downsides to using one.

The fact that we need to have a discussion about whether we should be adding new/replacing old battle gimmicks is proof that these mechanics are a bit too detrimental to this series to keep around.

Gens 1 -5 were all doing their part of improving the formula while creating fun content so it isn't like the games were suffering because we lacked battle gimmicks.

Maybe, for Gen 9 we should drop all battle gimmicks or just focus on improving one we already have
I think the biggest issue with most of the games that they never really take advantage of the location they're set in.
They should build ideas according to what the basis is imo.

Well technically the lore was only shared across 2. Megas in Alola and Kanto were practically imported. Heck Kanto felt way outta nowhere
"This mechanic was implemented without a culture attached" is not exactly a winning argument for why powerup mechanics need to be included to make games feel unique.
Also the evil team goals are relatively the same different costume. Most bosses aren't even memorable, except 3, Giovanni, Ghetsis, and Guzma. The 3 Gs
And Z-Moves are more memorable? Without looking, how many Z-Moves can you name?

it sound like they were trying to appeal to the opinions of people outside of the fanbase rather than those inside of it.

I mean, depending on what you mean by "the fanbase," the people outside of that could vastly outnumber those within it.

Without looking, how many Z-Moves can you name?

All of them, but I'm a nerd

"This mechanic was implemented without a culture attached" is not exactly a winning argument for why powerup mechanics need to be included to make games feel unique.

And Z-Moves are more memorable? Without looking, how many Z-Moves can you name?
Inferno Overdrive
Bloom Doom
Hydro Vortex
Gigavolt Havoc
Black Hole Eclipse
Tectonic Rage
Twinkle Tackle
Continental Crush
Never-Ending Nightmare
Corkscrew Crash
Sub Zero Slammer
Breakneck Blitz
All-Out Pummeling
Devastating Drake
Savage Spin Out
Shattered Psyche
Acid Downpour
Soaring Skystrike
Malicious MoonSault
Oceanic Operetta
Sinister Arrow Raid
Pulverizing Pancake
Stoked Spark Surfer
Splintered Stormshards
Clangorous Soulblaze
Soul Stealing Seven Star Strike
Genesis Supernova
Light That Burns The Sky
Let's Snuggle Forever
And I can't remember Solgaleo's or Lunala's

So yeah I technically remember almost all the z-moves

Meanwhile, Z moves were incredibly underpowered to the point of barely being used.

What? I'm pretty certain most competitive teams run at least one Z-move. Just look at the plethora of Pokemon that have at least one Z-crystal as a part of a recommended move-set on Smogon. And I wouldn't call a high base power nuke "underpowered." It seems like, judging from move-sets, that the average number of recommended move-sets a Z-crystal is on is around 15. While that pales in comparison to things like the Choice items, it's definitely far more than the average Plate, for example, which only averages around two to three recommended move-sets.

Looking at the top eight in the Masters division for the World Championships, every single team had at least one Z-move user, and a few teams had two Z-move users, including the champion. For the Senior division, six out of the top eight had at least one Z-crystal on their team, and once again a couple teams had two. For the Junior division, seven of the the top eight had at least one Z-move user on their team, including two people who had two Z-move users.

They're most definitely not "underpowered to the point of barely being used."

Last edited:
What? I'm pretty certain most competitive teams run at least one Z-move. Just look at the plethora of Pokemon that have at least one Z-crystal as a part of a recommended move-set on Smogon. And I wouldn't call a high base power nuke "underpowered." It seems like, judging from move-sets, that the average number of recommended move-sets a Z-crystal is on is around 15. While that pales in comparison to things like the Choice items, it's definitely far more than the average Plate, for example, which only averages around two to three recommended move-sets.

Looking at the top eight in the Masters division for the World Championships, every single team had at least one Z-move user, and a few teams had two Z-move users, including the champion. For the Senior division, six out of the top eight had at least one Z-crystal on their team, and once again a couple teams had two. For the Junior division, seven of the the top eight had at least one Z-move user on their team, including two people who had two Z-move users.

They're most definitely not "underpowered to the point of barely being used."

Fair enough. Sorry I got that wrong. Though that does also put it towards the centralization aspect of battle gimmicks, though a bit less than megas.

Thank you for correct me

Most bosses aren't even memorable, except 3, Giovanni, Ghetsis, and Guzma.

VSCyrus.png

Fair enough. Sorry I got that wrong. Though that does also put it towards the centralization aspect of battle gimmicks, though a bit less than megas.

Thank you for correct me

breaking through protects 25%.
Interesting if Max moves will have 50% or 100%? still will activate effects of of the protect like moves.

So, how bout them new Gigantamax forms?

Oh dear...we scrapped Megas for this? The only one that even somewhat appeals to me is Eevee’s. Pikachu and Meowth look deformed (maybe that’s the point?) and Charizard looks so uninspired compared to, again, its Mega forms.

I really hope there’s an option in pvp to turn Maxing off altogether. It just seems so out of place but I’m really enjoying just about everything else we’ve been getting.

Last edited:
Looking at the Gigantamax forms, I must say that they really are kind of dull. Most of the time, it's just the Pokemon getting bigger with barely noticeable changes. From a merchandising perspective, I really don't see much potential in them. I'm ok with the max forms being region exclusive the same way the z-moves are. Well, with GF already stating that it is site specific, I really don't see it being continued outside of Galar.

Megas on the other hand are a lot more exciting as there are actually significant design changes both in terms of their looks and their typing/battle-style. It'll really really be a shame if they don't continue with them.

Looking at the Gigantamax forms, I must say that they really are kind of dull. Most of the time, it's just the Pokemon getting bigger with barely noticeable changes. From a merchandising perspective, I really don't see much potential in them. I'm ok with the max forms being region exclusive the same way the z-moves are. Well, with GF already stating that it is site specific, I really don't see it being continued outside of Galar.

Megas on the other hand are a lot more exciting as there are actually significant design changes both in terms of their looks and their typing/battle-style. It'll really really be a shame if they don't continue with them.

Yeah. Aside from Alcremie none of the gigantamax forms have done anything interesting with the base form.

I can't help but think of Charizards Megas when I look at its gigantamax form and feel like we've traded down.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom