• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Yeah, but that gradually started to change when Charmander evolved all the way. The imbalance was apparent in BW when Charizard was the only one to return, and then in the next two series the species was showcased via other important characters while the other two starter lines didn't stand out much.

I don't know. You can't really have fun with something you don't even know what your looking at. Let alone something as game changing as the changing battle gimmick mechanics were.

Like maybe if they changed the new battle gimmicks to every two generations, people would spend time with it and have fun with it while they get to know feel it out to see if they actually like it or not. As it is now, there's absolutely no time to get used to it or have fun with it without the battle gimmicks feeling pointless because by the time you start having fun it will all go poof in three years.
As I've seen these past 2 years, megas have been around for 2 gens and 4 games and many people stated their distaste for z-moves some fine with them being gone for good simply because they aren't megas. And it's along the same lines for dynamax. So honestly it makes no difference, not everyone can be pleased and doing so is an impossible to pursuit, so might as well do what you want

As I've seen these past 2 years, megas have been around for 2 gens and 4 games and many people stated their distaste for z-moves some fine with them being gone for good simply because they aren't megas. And it's along the same lines for dynamax. So honestly it makes no difference, not everyone can be pleased and doing so is an impossible to pursuit, so might as well do what you want

I'm pretty sure that's what Disney said when deciding to do the Live action remakes or when big corporations pollute our planet.

Throwing responsibility to the wind enables a whole bunch of unethical pratices such as Microtransactions

I'm pretty sure that's what Disney said when deciding to do the Live action remakes or when big corporations pollute our planet.

Throwing responsibility to the wind enables a whole bunch of unethical pratices such as Microtransactions
What responsibility? Since when did responsibility become a factor in this?

-G-Pikachu is cute. I thought the leaker was exaggerating when they said that 90s Pikachu was going to return, but it's indeed him and with a cute tail. It's -makes me sad it's unobtainable without LGPE.
-G-Eevee is an scam. They are presenting it as the cutest thing ever but it's just Eevee with a giant collar.
-G-Meowth is just a meme designed to inspire more memes...Meh. At least it could gives us a nice anime plot, and it could mean that Meowth will be in the regional dex for the first time in forever (unless he's replaced by a Galarian form...)
-G-Butterfree is great. Its wings are beautiful and its body has cute little details. Alongside Alcremie it shows that maybe these forms have potential.
-G-Charizard is okay. The fire suits him well, but I question whether its necessary for the game and if it was necessary to reveal it now. (According to the reviews it appears during the first minutes, but then...Where's my elephant?)

I don't know. You can't really have fun with something you don't even know what your looking at. Let alone something as game changing as the changing battle gimmick mechanics were.

Like maybe if they changed the new battle gimmicks to every two generations, people would spend time with it and have fun with it while they get to know feel it out to see if they actually like it or not. As it is now, there's absolutely no time to get used to it or have fun with it without the battle gimmicks feeling pointless because by the time you start having fun it will all go poof in three years.

It's three years. That is not "absolutely no time." Does it take you three years to figure out that you like your Starter Pokémon before the next group rolls around?

And what do you mean, people "would" spend time with it? They already do; both Megas and Z-Moves became huge fixtures in the meta for those respective periods. Megas in particular were extremely dominant. Hell, people are clamoring for them now because they did like the mechanic.

It's three years. That is not "absolutely no time." Does it take you three years to figure out that you like your Starter Pokémon before the next group roll around?

And what do you mean, people "would" spend time with it? They already do; both Megas and Z-Moves became huge fixtures in the meta for those respective periods. Megas in particular were extremely dominant. Hell, people are clamoring for them now because they did like the mechanic.

Three years isn't enough when a lot of people actively try to avoid the battle gimmicks when they play through that games the first time due to not liking them or finding the concept of them stupid. For example, I did my best to avoid Megas as much as I could when they first came out. I even boxed all the stones I picked up out of spite. After a while I ended up getting used to them and using them more. But by that time Sun and Moon were already about to come out and I already played through XY and ORAS so it didn't really matter much because I would have to start the process over with Z-moves. Some people just take a while to understand things and accept things. That's not including people who only pick up one or two games per generation or those that play causally whenever they can find the time. For those people they have a lot less time than three years to get used to it or care about it.

Besides, comparing something like getting your starter, something that hasn't changed in 20 years now, to something that changes every gen is a dumb comparison. Even comparing it to Amie/Refresh/Camp is too since despite the changing moniker its still an upgraded version of the same mechanic. Battle gimmicks just seem...forced. Like they're shoehorned in to appeal more to the kids and marketing without giving the older fans a choice to use them or not because they're ingrained with the story/meta game.

Anyway, what I meant with "spending more time with it" was like I said, a lot of people take time to come to terms with something new. Especially new things as big and over marketed as the battle gimmicks. People liking them are 50/50 or 40/60 because I've seen just as many people hate on GF for changing up the gimmick every gen and not sticking to one thing. Or at least stop caring about whatever they come up with. Because like I said...they know it's going to be pointless, so even if they like it, it won't matter in the long run unless they go back and play the games and only those games.

Three years isn't enough when a lot of people actively try to avoid the battle gimmicks when they play through that games the first time due to not liking them or finding the concept of them stupid. For example, I did my best to avoid Megas as much as I could when they first came out. I even boxed all the stones I picked up out of spite. After a while I ended up getting used to them and using them more. But by that time Sun and Moon were already about to come out and I already played through XY and ORAS so it didn't really matter much because I would have to start the process over with Z-moves. Some people just take a while to understand things and accept things. That's not including people who only pick up one or two games per generation or those that play causally whenever they can find the time. For those people they have a lot less time than three years to get used to it or care about it.

Besides, comparing something like getting your starter, something that hasn't changed in 20 years now, to something that changes every gen is a dumb comparison. Even comparing it to Amie/Refresh/Camp is too since despite the changing moniker its still an upgraded version of the same mechanic. Battle gimmicks just seem...forced. Like they're shoehorned in to appeal more to the kids and marketing without giving the older fans a choice to use them or not because they're ingrained with the story/meta game.

Anyway, what I meant with "spending more time with it" was like I said, a lot of people take time to come to terms with something new. Especially new things as big and over marketed as the battle gimmicks. People liking them are 50/50 or 40/60 because I've seen just as many people hate on GF for changing up the gimmick every gen and not sticking to one thing. Or at least stop caring about whatever they come up with. Because like I said...they know it's going to be pointless, so even if they like it, it won't matter in the long run unless they go back and play the games and only those games.
If people wanted to avoid it in the first place, I doubt time would make them care about it more.

G-form pikachu ability Thick fat.
G-form evee fluffy or fur coat.
G-Charizard magma armor or steam engine
G-Butterfee gale wings
G-meowth sniper, so ghost like...

G-form pikachu ability Thick fat.
G-form evee fluffy or fur coat.
G-Charizard magma armor or steam engine
G-Butterfee gale wings
G-meowth sniper, so ghost like...

Looking at the website, it seems like they just have their regular abilities. For example, on Gigantamax Butterfree's page, it says its ability is Compound Eyes.

Looking at the website, it seems like they just have their regular abilities. For example, on Gigantamax Butterfree's page, it says its ability is Compound Eyes.
Crap. Wasted the perfect occasions. Can someone do polls what old pokemon should gain in future new signature Z-moves, Megas and G-forms?

Interesting how many people would want G-forms with type and ability change? Weird that the creators dont ask as fans this on their official side.

Taking that last gen Gengar gor nerfed maybe they can change that too in future for the forms because now they suck a little.

Last edited:
gigantamax seems really fun to use, don't like giga charizard (no surprise there), giga butterfree is adorable, love giga meowth, all the gigas are fine but i find it unsettling that their eyes glow. why? why add that detail?

gigantamax seems really fun to use, don't like giga charizard (no surprise there), giga butterfree is adorable, love giga meowth, all the gigas are fine but i find it unsettling that their eyes glow. why? why add that detail?
It's the dynamax energy. It essentially envelops them and gives them tons of power

I'm not a big fan of Dynamaxing. It seems like a cheap gimmick to me. Probably not going to use it all that much.

I like the glowing eyes. It makes them feel more like a powerful spirit being than just a giant animal. Looks cool too.

I'm not thrilled the gigantimax forms took up a whole big news slot, I was hoping for something else, but I will say that this, for the first time, convinced me that there's something interesting about making these Pokemon giant. Before this, I was just sort of... meh... about giant pokemon? And the forms they'd put out didn't look to me like anything that couldn't have been done through Mega Evolution. But these designs all benefit from size and scale in a way that other form changes just DON'T. There's no reason to make a Meowth that looks like that unless you're making it big. There's no way that Butterfree's wings would make sense on screen at a normal size. And Charizard being drawn as though we're looking up at him from such a low angle makes the whole design work for me in a way it wouldn't have at regular size. So I guess they've sold me on their value in a way that they hadn't before?

Maybe Charizard got it bc they have plans for Blastoise and Venusaur? Wait and see.

The most interesting thing is that
G-Charizard would make a great fire/ghost with Levitate if you look at it more.

Last edited:

This reminds me of the response Epic Games gave when defending their decision to keep Mechs in the game during Season 10 of Fortnite after mass backlash from the community. The reason mechs were added to give new players the thrills of getting kills while providing "spectacle and entertainment".

Those explanations (especially the latter one) feel very similar to what Game Freak is trying to do with Pokemon these past few generations with battle gimmicks.

I haven't played Fortnite since Season 8, but when I did, it felt like every other new weapon or mechanic added would be horribly unbalanced and players would have to adapt or stop playing altogether until that mechanic was fixed, removed or other broken mechanics were added to compete with them. In addition, even though some mechanics were almost universally hated, some other people genuinely enjoyed them would feel a bit slighted when they were removed.

The parallels between the mechs and the battle gimmicks is certainly uncanny. Hopefully, we don't get to the point where Game Freak adds a battle gimmick that is as hated as Fortnite's mechs or the Infinity Blade.

Source: Fortnite and the B.R.U.T.E.

Imagine G-Pikachu with Thick Fat and
G-Evee with Fluffy or
G-Charizard fire/ghost with Levitate.
G-Meowth would be perfect normal/ghost.
Butterfly could got Dazzling or Recovery?

I think they should change in future their typings and abilities for G-forms.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom