• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

You think it unlocks different typings and/or abilities? Eh.

I think stats changes. Gigantamax should have different typings and/or abilities... People are hipocrites first they wanted G-forms to be megas and now they fear changes and are sceptic of other ideas.

Dynamax levels? Maybe change effects of moves too? Maybe You can level up effects of moves?

To make stronger pokemon? Make useful and surprise oponent more? Allow it to fullfil other roles. Would allow it to escape Traps and perish song or curse combo.
None of these are reasons to ignore a Pokemon's design.

Their movesets during form lose their old effects. Change of type and ability just makes sense especialy to make up for it.
They lose old effects and gain new ones, often quite powerful ones. And they're getting a big stat boost on top of that-they're not really suffering from it.

Its previous forms could shadow claw it for SE. Charizards dont get rock moves.

Its previous forms already have SE moves against it with Electric and Rock moves. Charizard learns Rock Slide and Rock Tomb-at this point you're just saying things without even checking to see if it makes sense.

Could. Thunder punch it but ghost or fairy would give it the special God lizard vibe that it seriously needs. Or a ability like Primal Groudon has.
It's not based on any gods at all. Big and powerful does not mean mythical or spiritual.

Other pokes could get other types. Think of it longer. Gigantamax Octilery water/fairy , gigantamax Lapras ice/dragon and Machamp fighting/fire
Coming up with random type combos for imaginary designs isn't any more evidence for why the current design of GMax Charizard should be Ghost.

The same could be said about Altaria, Flygon, Gyraydos, Milotic, Galar Ponyta, Jynx and others.
....What? Milotic is literally just Water-type. What's flimsy about that?
. People are hipocrites first they wanted G-forms to be megas and now they fear changes and are sceptic of other ideas.
Okay,
  1. Nobody is "afraid" of these changes-we're saying they don't make sense.
  2. The people saying GForms should be Megas are not necessarily the same people arguing with you. People have different opinions, that's not hypocrisy.
  3. We're skeptical of your ideas because they don't match what we have now. Nobody has said "I don't want GMax to change types", they're saying "It's confirmed they won't, and adding Ghost to Charizard doesn't make any sense"

Having seen Dynamax and looking further into it. I was honestly unimpressed by how half-assed a mechanic it really looks.

My real annoyance however is toward Gigantamax in general. What really bothers me about it is if you've had a mon transferred over from a previous generation that you put a good amount of investment (getting as many ribbons as possible for it) into would be capable of such, it simply can't do so. Basically having to replace what you valued, or waste a slot for one that is capable of such honestly rubs me the wrong way. At least with Mega Evolution, any species capable of such need only the required mega stone for it and that was that.

Last edited:
I don't want G-Max period, in context of the argument. :p

I like my single battles, double battles, even inverse battles sometimes. Never tried triple battles but they sound like they could be interesting. I don't need magical girl transformations for my pokemans to make them super strong. I don't want sentai poses to give my pokemon a stupid strong move. I don't want Rita Repulsa to make my monsters grow. I want my pokemon to battle. I don't need the flashy gimmicks that sound better for anime than a video game.

In other news, PinkIceFox is old. In my day we ran through the snow uphill both ways without running shoes. And the Psychic type pokemon were broken. You kids get off my lawn. shakes cane at

None of these are reasons to ignore a Pokemon's design.

They lose old effects and gain new ones, often quite powerful ones. And they're getting a big stat boost on top of that-they're not really suffering from it.

Its previous forms already have SE moves against it with Electric and Rock moves. Charizard learns Rock Slide and Rock Tomb-at this point you're just saying things without even checking to see if it makes sense.

It's not based on any gods at all. Big and powerful does not mean mythical or spiritual.

Coming up with random type combos for imaginary designs isn't any more evidence for why the current design of GMax Charizard should be Ghost.

....What? Milotic is literally just Water-type. What's flimsy about that?

Okay,
  1. Nobody is "afraid" of these changes-we're saying they don't make sense.
  2. The people saying GForms should be Megas are not necessarily the same people arguing with you. People have different opinions, that's not hypocrisy.
  3. We're skeptical of your ideas because they don't match what we have now. Nobody has said "I don't want GMax to change types", they're saying "It's confirmed they won't, and adding Ghost to Charizard doesn't make any sense"

Read about Milotic type change and speculations.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/bqxwjn/ghost_type_charizard_oc/

In the Deverry cycle by Katharine Kerr salamanders are primitive elemental spirits of fire. They are part of the race of spirits called Wildfolk and can be seen only by people with elven or dwarven blood or by people with magical talents. There is even a main character in the series who uses the nickname Salamander because he is very fond of the fire spirits.

In the Mana series, Salamander is one of the eight Mana spirits. representing the element of fire.

In the George R. R. Martin novel A Clash of Kings (1998), the character Melisandre of Asshai, a red-haired priestess of the God of Flame and Shadow, has a name that is a partial anagram of "salamander".

In Joseph Delaney's The Last Apprentice Book 6: Clash of the Demons,the most powerful type of fire elemental often takes on the form of a salamander.

In the NES game The Magic of Scheherazade, Salamander is the fire demon fought at the end of the fourth chapter.

Salamanders are in nobel emblems in France, UK and Ireland.

I will quote wikipedia
"In a poll conducted by IGN, it was voted as the "best Pokémon", where the staff commented about remembering being torn between choosing Blastoise and Charizard at the start of the game.[75][76] In a poll by Official Nintendo Magazine, Charizard was voted as the "best Fire-type Pokémon". They stated, "not only is Charizard your favourite fire Pokémon, but it is probably one of the most popular 'mon of all time".[77] Kotaku editor Patricia Hernandez criticized Charizard's Y Mega Evolution for not differing enough from Charizard's original design, while praising Mega Charizard X for changing color, and turning Charizard into a dragon-type.[78] Game Informer ranked Charizard as the "coolest Pokémon out of the original 151", describing it as "Powerful, gigantic, and imposing". They further commented that "Pikachu may be the one you recognize, but Charizard is the one you want."[79]

Pokemon making sense? yeah like that many water creatures are ground types?
Would be better to add to cool things cool stuff then to seek deep sense.

Maybe in future they will create Giga stones or items that will be able to change a pokemon in other regions or in the Galar sequel games they will allow others to get even those special Gigantamax somehow... practicaly if You would battle with Your pokemon on a sacred ground and it would charge energy enough the Dynamax should level up to Gigantamax for the chosen ones.

Last edited:
It makes more sense to hope for Mega Evolution to return than for some hybrid with Gigantamax.

Anyway, I don't mind Gigantamax designs that take inspiration from the anime or Godzilla movies (Butterfree does both). Otherwise, it's just arbitrary.

Last edited:
Megas also where said only to change form and appearence first and that was true... first... hope Gigantamax takes this route more, with type and ability changes.

Read about Milotic type change and speculations.
Speculations for a type change? Why the hell would that mean that the current design of Milotic shouldn't be Water-type?
Why would an entirely different design be supporting evidence for GMax Charizard being Ghost-type? They changed its appearance so that it actually looks like a Ghost-type. GMax Charizard didn't.
Even if this theory was canon, it doesn't make sense to say that Charizard should get the Ghost type. Charizard would have hatched as a Charmander with a flame on its tail, not even close to death. And Cubone, supposedly Charmanders hatching without flames, aren't even Ghost-type themselves.
In the Deverry cycle by Katharine Kerr salamanders are primitive elemental spirits of fire. They are part of the race of spirits called Wildfolk and can be seen only by people with elven or dwarven blood or by people with magical talents. There is even a main character in the series who uses the nickname Salamander because he is very fond of the fire spirits.

In the Mana series, Salamander is one of the eight Mana spirits. representing the element of fire.

In the George R. R. Martin novel A Clash of Kings (1998), the character Melisandre of Asshai, a red-haired priestess of the God of Flame and Shadow, has a name that is a partial anagram of "salamander".

In Joseph Delaney's The Last Apprentice Book 6: Clash of the Demons,the most powerful type of fire elemental often takes on the form of a salamander.

In the NES game The Magic of Scheherazade, Salamander is the fire demon fought at the end of the fourth chapter.

Salamanders are in nobel emblems in France, UK and Ireland.
Yeah, fire elementals. Not ghosts.
"In a poll conducted by IGN, it was voted as the "best Pokémon", where the staff commented about remembering being torn between choosing Blastoise and Charizard at the start of the game.[75][76] In a poll by Official Nintendo Magazine, Charizard was voted as the "best Fire-type Pokémon". They stated, "not only is Charizard your favourite fire Pokémon, but it is probably one of the most popular 'mon of all time".[77] Kotaku editor Patricia Hernandez criticized Charizard's Y Mega Evolution for not differing enough from Charizard's original design, while praising Mega Charizard X for changing color, and turning Charizard into a dragon-type.[78] Game Informer ranked Charizard as the "coolest Pokémon out of the original 151", describing it as "Powerful, gigantic, and imposing". They further commented that "Pikachu may be the one you recognize, but Charizard is the one you want."[79]
What is this supposed to prove? We all know that Charizard is popular. Being popular doesn't mean getting new types just because it'd make it more powerful-otherwise, Pikachu should be a new type immune to all other types, because it's so popular.
Pokemon making sense? yeah like that many water creatures are ground types?
Because they wield mud-based attacks...

If your argument is "Pokemon just doesn't make sense!", then why do you keep trying to say that Charizard should be Ghost because it should be based on this or that? Why not just say "I think it'd be cool" and leave it at that?
Would be better to add to cool things cool stuff then to seek deep sense.
Interestingly enough, Pokemon's been trying to make sense and still coming up with cool things. Funny.

We already have GMax Charizard's design. We already have Fire/Ghost Pokemon. This isn't really adding anything new.

Megas also where said only to change form and appearence first and that was true... first... hope Gigantamax takes this route more, with type and ability changes.

Not gonna happen, they keep the the same typing and abilities.
You have too look at it at a coding perspective: Mega's were a permanent battle gimmick for the battle, Gigamax last only for 3 turns, so its a hassle to code it new typings and abilities for something that only last three turns and cannot even be used throughout the whole region, but only in specific locations. Especially since you don't only need to code in the typing and ability, but also need to change the moveset for a thing that only lasts for 3 turns.

You have too look at it at a coding perspective: Mega's were a permanent battle gimmick for the battle, Gigamax last only for 3 turns, so its a hassle to code it new typings and abilities for something that only last three turns and cannot even be used throughout the whole region, but only in specific locations. Especially since you don't only need to code in the typing and ability, but also need to change the moveset for a thing that only lasts for 3 turns.
Thats not a big problem. Interesting how they save coding and space with using storage data bases?

I agree it isn’t happening but I think you drastically overestimate how difficult it would be to code these things (i.e.: not very).

That's not far off from how Super Mystery Dungeon handled megas

Whats the best destiny bond user? A anti G-max strategy could be nice. Interesting if the encore, disable combo allows us to trap a G-MAX AND D-max pokemon in a strugle using loop?

Whats the best destiny bond user? A anti G-max strategy could be nice. Interesting if the encore, disable combo allows us to trap a G-MAX AND D-max pokemon in a strugle using loop?
Well there's always the chance that G-Max Lapras will have a max move that acts like Perish Song

My real annoyance however is toward Gigantamax in general. What really bothers me about it is if you've had a mon transferred over from a previous generation that you put a good amount of investment (getting as many ribbons as possible for it) into would be capable of such, it simply can't do so. Basically having to replace what you valued, or waste a slot for one that is capable of such honestly rubs me the wrong way. At least with Mega Evolution, any species capable of such need only the required mega stone for it and that was that.

From what we've seen so far, Gigantamaxing isn't objectively better than Dynamaxing depending on what you want to accomplish. I was listening to a podcast that pointed out that Gigantamax Charizard's G-Max move sets up Fire Spin, but Dynamax Charizard's move sets up sun. I can think of a lot of people preferring the latter instead of the former, which means a "regular" Pokemon can still be useful this way.

I still think Pokemon getting giant pretty stupid, but the two mechanics really do seem to be balanced and provide a "best of both worlds" alternative to Megas and Z-Moves.

From what we've seen so far, Gigantamaxing isn't objectively better than Dynamaxing depending on what you want to accomplish. I was listening to a podcast that pointed out that Gigantamax Charizard's G-Max move sets up Fire Spin, but Dynamax Charizard's move sets up sun. I can think of a lot of people preferring the latter instead of the former, which means a "regular" Pokemon can still be useful this way.

I still think Pokemon getting giant pretty stupid, but the two mechanics really do seem to be balanced and provide a "best of both worlds" alternative to Megas and Z-Moves.
They forget to mention that it can also use the flying or grass max move, both either sets up grassy terrain to heal, or boost speed. You have to remember only certain type changes to the g-max move

That's true - I was just trying to make the point that Gigantamax is not the inherently better choice all the time. They're less like Mega Stones and more like species-specific Z-Crystals in that regard. I think people are seeing the new forms and thinking they make Dynamax look less impressive (which is kinda true) and thus obsolete in comparison (which is kinda not).

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom