• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

The more I see and learn about G-Max, the more I hate it. Why is it so restrictive?? What happened to making your own Pokemon more competitive? I don't want to catch some fully evolved thing because I like its form, I want to raise one myself and use that! The whole concept is counterproductive to everything else they've been trying to achieve this gen and I hope they realize it.
Basically their desire to make Raids (or the various Hidden Ability methods in older gens) special and rare is conflicting with the goal of making your in-game team usable in competitive play.
They can't do both so they sided with the former.

Indeed; this strikes me as a really poor decision. I was quite looking forward to having my Coalossal go all Lythos the Earth Titan from Hercules on people, but alas, it seems I will never really have a reason to try using a Gigantamax form now aside from Melmetal, since that one will probably come through a gift distribution anyway. What's baffling to me is, between the Dynamax and Exp. candies and the Technical Records, there's already plenty of incentive to do lots of Max Raid Battles. Gigantamax Pokémon didn't need to be locked behind that, and even if for some reason they did, I think it would have been perfectly fine to let us use those G-Max Pokémon to pass on the Gigantamax Factor to any other Pokémon of the same species, as we can now do with egg moves. That way, you'd still have to "unlock" the G-Max form through Max Raids, but could use it with one of the Pokémon you actually care about.

The way that it works right now doesn't even really make sense in the context of how other characters employ G-Max forms, either. Leon gives you a Charmander with the G-Max Factor that you can raise up into a Charizard, so it's not actually a trait that only occurs in final forms. Similarly, your rivals all end up Gigantamaxing Pokémon that we've seen on their teams throughout the game, and I really doubt that the implication is meant to be that their original members were replaced.
They could have done any number of things to make it work. Even if it's really hard, if I could've worked my ass off to make my own Pokemon achieve it, I would have. Like, why not make a rare drop, a "gigamax candy" or something, that when applied to a maxed out dynamax level Pokemon, grants it the ability to gigantamax if applicable? Like, I have an Orbeetle on my team and was looking at moves and found out it has one. And now I'm just mad cuz I'll never be able to use MY Orbeetle that way. Stupid stupid stupid.

This also just further ticks me off cuz I have a perfect IV shiny Butterfree in Ultra Sun that I worked so hard to breed, and now I know it'll never be able to achieve that awesome gigantamax form that they gave Butterfree.

As much as I love the concept of Gigantimax, I do think making it so difficult to get was a poor decision. It would have been better IMO to include a way to make your existing Pokémon able to Gigantimax through using a "Giga-candy" or something after a Pokémon's Dynamax level has reached maximum.

Hopefully if there is another Galar based game in the future they can improve the system.

As much as I love the concept of Gigantimax, I do think making it so difficult to get was a poor decision. It would have been better IMO to include a way to make your existing Pokémon able to Gigantimax through using a "Giga-candy" or something after a Pokémon's Dynamax level has reached maximum.

Hopefully if there is another Galar based game in the future they can improve the system.

a second wishing star as item for the pokemon a Giganta ball or Y-ball for the Y-ring, would transform only species that are naturally able to do it.
I think that those who G or D max need to do it so that trainer uses wishing star, own power, the pokemons power and the sacred place is in reality one with many wishing starts beneatch the ground.

I'm disappointed that my fears of Dynamxing being even more centralizing than z moves and megas were well founded (at least in singles). Its gotten to the point where a bunch of people on Smogon are pushing for the mechanic to being banned to Ubers.

They could have done any number of things to make it work. Even if it's really hard, if I could've worked my ass off to make my own Pokemon achieve it, I would have. Like, why not make a rare drop, a "gigamax candy" or something, that when applied to a maxed out dynamax level Pokemon, grants it the ability to gigantamax if applicable? Like, I have an Orbeetle on my team and was looking at moves and found out it has one. And now I'm just mad cuz I'll never be able to use MY Orbeetle that way. Stupid stupid stupid.

This also just further ticks me off cuz I have a perfect IV shiny Butterfree in Ultra Sun that I worked so hard to breed, and now I know it'll never be able to achieve that awesome gigantamax form that they gave Butterfree.

This....so...much! Gigamax Candy and using it on a max Dynamax level Pokémon is brillant!

Such a shame you can’t use Gigantamax in the actual Battle Stadium, probably due to Pikachu, Meowth, and Eevee being event exclusive. Such a shame TPC took the lazy method and banned all Gigantamax instead of those 3. It must take so much effort.

I said before the games came out that I thought Dynamax had the potential to be the best power-up in the series over Megas and Z-Moves if they were executed well. Having finished Shield, I think it ended up very well as a mechanic. My biggest issue with Mega Evolution was that they weren't able to be used by all Pokemon. Only a small fraction of Pokemon got Megas, many of which didn't even need a new power-up to begin with. And they could only be used in their final stage of evolution, which makes sense, but it meant you couldn't use them for a while. Additionally, I didn't like how only older Pokemon and only one Kalos mythical received Megas, thus making the new Kalos batch of Pokemon seem inferior to an extent by comparison. It meant that a lot of the major opponents in the games, like the gym leaders, weren't able to take advantage of them since their strongest Pokemon were always Kalos natives. As such, I thought Megas had a pretty poor execution.

Z-Moves, I think were done much better. Best improvements, all Pokemon could use them, across all stages of evolution. This was the main reason I've preferred Z-Moves over Megas to this day. All Pokemon were able to shine from their earliest stage. No waiting to evolve and no being limited to older Pokemon. Because of this, Z-Moves were incorporated into the story quite well. All Kahunas and a lot of other major characters utilized them. Characters weren't forced to have an old Pokemon just to show off the new mechanic. Yes, there are some species exclusive moves, however, the fact that we still have basic Z-Moves for all Pokemon makes me not mind this so much. It doesn't feel like other Pokemon are losing out on anything by some species having those special moves. The only downside of Z-Moves is that they were just moves, so they were basically a one and done thing.

Dynamax seems to solve the issues I had with both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. They automatically last three turns, so they aren't one and done like Z-Moves. But like Z-Moves and unlike Megas, they can be used by all Pokemon and thus none overshadow others. I know, like the species exclusive Z-Moves, we have Gigantamax forms. But like before, I don't feel like Giagantamax forms limit the appeal of regular Dynamax. Dynamax and Gigantamax also fit into the games perfectly due to Galar's culture of having giant stadiums as their gyms. It makes sense that having Pokemon become gigantic would become something to take advantage of in such a huge, open space. That's another thing I like, that Dynamax is limited to only gyms (and Max Raid Battles if you're into that). In that way, it doesn't feel overpowered. I can't even use use a Dynamax Pokemon on someone else who can't, so it balances really well. My biggest issue with Dynamax is specifically Gigantamax, mainly how hard it is to get them. I don't like how you can only get them by catching them fully evolved in the Wild Area. Not only does than mean if I wanted to use one, I had to catch it fully evolved; I would have had to wait until I had enough gym battles to catch it at such a high level, wait I could get to the den, and pray that when I found the den, it was there and I could catch it successfully. Why are they at such a super low encounter rate? Who has the patience to look for these things? Not me while I'm playing through the main story, that's for sure. I love Gigantamax Alcremie, and I would have loved to use one on my team, but when I saw how ridiculously hard it was to get one, I didn't bother. Overall, I think Dynamax was executed very well in the game, but Gigantamax, not so much. I mean, I like how many Pokemon, especially new Pokemon, got G-Max forms, but what good if it if it takes ages to find one. If it wasn't for the event going on, I sure as heck wouldn't have the two Gigantamax Corviknights that I have now.

G-max pokemon forms need unique other abilities then we got now, like Megas... hidden are not enough for those great forms...
Seriously Orbeetle looks like it got Levitate...

G-max moves would need to hit through Max Guards like Max Moves through protect.

Megas was the best and should be continued in some generations mixed with the others and new mechnics.
They could introduce new ones every second generation... mix it up.

Last edited:
Such a shame you can’t use Gigantamax in the actual Battle Stadium, probably due to Pikachu, Meowth, and Eevee being event exclusive. Such a shame TPC took the lazy method and banned all Gigantamax instead of those 3. It must take so much effort.
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, unless that battle is between two friends. I don't see anything about this ban, and it doesn't apply to the first online competition, at any rate.

Edit: It seems that you're right and the rules are fairly inconsistent.

Last edited:
I said before the games came out that I thought Dynamax had the potential to be the best power-up in the series over Megas and Z-Moves if they were executed well. Having finished Shield, I think it ended up very well as a mechanic. My biggest issue with Mega Evolution was that they weren't able to be used by all Pokemon. Only a small fraction of Pokemon got Megas, many of which didn't even need a new power-up to begin with. And they could only be used in their final stage of evolution, which makes sense, but it meant you couldn't use them for a while. Additionally, I didn't like how only older Pokemon and only one Kalos mythical received Megas, thus making the new Kalos batch of Pokemon seem inferior to an extent by comparison. It meant that a lot of the major opponents in the games, like the gym leaders, weren't able to take advantage of them since their strongest Pokemon were always Kalos natives. As such, I thought Megas had a pretty poor execution.

Z-Moves, I think were done much better. Best improvements, all Pokemon could use them, across all stages of evolution. This was the main reason I've preferred Z-Moves over Megas to this day. All Pokemon were able to shine from their earliest stage. No waiting to evolve and no being limited to older Pokemon. Because of this, Z-Moves were incorporated into the story quite well. All Kahunas and a lot of other major characters utilized them. Characters weren't forced to have an old Pokemon just to show off the new mechanic. Yes, there are some species exclusive moves, however, the fact that we still have basic Z-Moves for all Pokemon makes me not mind this so much. It doesn't feel like other Pokemon are losing out on anything by some species having those special moves. The only downside of Z-Moves is that they were just moves, so they were basically a one and done thing.

Dynamax seems to solve the issues I had with both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. They automatically last three turns, so they aren't one and done like Z-Moves. But like Z-Moves and unlike Megas, they can be used by all Pokemon and thus none overshadow others. I know, like the species exclusive Z-Moves, we have Gigantamax forms. But like before, I don't feel like Giagantamax forms limit the appeal of regular Dynamax. Dynamax and Gigantamax also fit into the games perfectly due to Galar's culture of having giant stadiums as their gyms. It makes sense that having Pokemon become gigantic would become something to take advantage of in such a huge, open space. That's another thing I like, that Dynamax is limited to only gyms (and Max Raid Battles if you're into that). In that way, it doesn't feel overpowered. I can't even use use a Dynamax Pokemon on someone else who can't, so it balances really well. My biggest issue with Dynamax is specifically Gigantamax, mainly how hard it is to get them. I don't like how you can only get them by catching them fully evolved in the Wild Area. Not only does than mean if I wanted to use one, I had to catch it fully evolved; I would have had to wait until I had enough gym battles to catch it at such a high level, wait I could get to the den, and pray that when I found the den, it was there and I could catch it successfully. Why are they at such a super low encounter rate? Who has the patience to look for these things? Not me while I'm playing through the main story, that's for sure. I love Gigantamax Alcremie, and I would have loved to use one on my team, but when I saw how ridiculously hard it was to get one, I didn't bother. Overall, I think Dynamax was executed very well in the game, but Gigantamax, not so much. I mean, I like how many Pokemon, especially new Pokemon, got G-Max forms, but what good if it if it takes ages to find one. If it wasn't for the event going on, I sure as heck wouldn't have the two Gigantamax Corviknights that I have now.

Conversely, as someone who has not been a big fan of the regional battle gimmicks, dynamaxing is one of the things that is keeping me from getting the game at all.

Aesethectically, I hate the garish red aura of dynamaxing and the clouds that look like turds.

Mechanically, dynamax might be fine in the story and main game, but in terms of PVP battles the mechanic is broken and centralizing to a degree that other battle gimmicks haven't reached. Since every Pokemon can dynamax, strong Pokemon can take better advantage of it than weak Pokemon and unlike megas it doesn't do a good job of helping weak Pokemon rise up in viability. The 3 turn limit means very little when you can use your items with your powerful max moves on top of doubled hp. This makes it very difficult for non-dynamaxed to compete with dynamaxed Pokemon without dynamaxing themselves (which something that I shouldn't be obligated to do out fear of losing).

Finally, in terms of battle gimmicks' presence in the region it's introduced, it seems to be the most intertwined with the region's culture, identity, and the side content (raids be built around dynamaxing). For someone who enjoys the mechanic this might be fine, but as someone who doesn't like dynamaxing, it will make it harder get invested in what is going on. In addition, the lore of the Galar region even presents dynamaxing in a somewhat negative light term with the "use or lose" mentality of the mechanic crippling Spikemuth fianicially and it being a major motivation for Rose's scheme.

In conclusion, if you are someone who doesn't like dynamaxing like myself, Sword and Shield lose a fair bit of their enjoyment factor. Personally, I'm hoping the next generation of games move away from regional battle gimmicks that will be removed in the following generation

Last edited:
Characters weren't forced to have an old Pokemon just to show off the new mechanic. Yes, there are some species exclusive moves, however, the fact that we still have basic Z-Moves for all Pokemon makes me not mind this so much. It doesn't feel like other Pokemon are losing out on anything by some species having those special moves. The only downside of Z-Moves is that they were just moves, so they were basically a one and done thing.

Some had the lack of the extra effects only pure power... it was like giving us one or two powerfull Giga Impacts without the after effects. Handy against legendaries , pseudolegendaries and megas.

Megas was boosting a regular pokemon to nearly pseudolegendary or legendary level, that was cool and hope some more in future will get it at some point.

Dynamax, blocking weight moves, item based moves, flinching,
getting between x1,5 and x2 in HP rise
and getting moves with power near of Overheat with positive effects and weather casting brings something inbetween allowing some hp oriented pokemon to shine longer.

Gigantamax , changes form but should automatically be 2xHP and if they are bigger and have a special move why didn't change ability or type with the form itself? like they did with Megas???
This should be fixed and can be done right even in sequel stating that there were a lot ofthings we didn't knew about mega evolution...

The asthetics of all were always cool but the Dynamax and Gmax clouds could have been in different colors then only red but thats probably because of Eternatus and the meteorite he came with.
That could actually change in my opinion, the colors too.

Also the Dynamax and Gigantamax powers could too. Max Guard was weird, the rest got effects it got non but should have boost both defenses of the user in my opinion.

Hope only they don't allow a mega to Dynamax, I would rather see the mechanics battle each other and state that mega, z-move and dyna/giganta max energies don't fit with each other at the same time when used by one pokemon at the same time...

Last edited:
Is dynamaxing evil kind of like mega evolution is for some Pokémon? Hatterene will basically kill anyone who has strong emotions in a 30 mile radius and in mega evolution some Pokémon like Salamence, Metagross, and kind of Lucario. It even breaks Glalie’s jaw. (This is all mentioned in the mega Pokédex entries in the Sun and Moon Pokédex book, except for the Hattrene thing obviously)

Is dynamaxing evil kind of like mega evolution is for some Pokémon? Hatterene will basically kill anyone who has strong emotions in a 30 mile radius and in mega evolution some Pokémon like Salamence, Metagross, and kind of Lucario. It even breaks Glalie’s jaw. (This is all mentioned in the mega Pokédex entries in the Sun and Moon Pokédex book, except for the Hattrene thing obviously)

I don't think Mega Evolution was ever meant to come off as "evil," but rather unnatural and endowing of such an overwhelming amount of power that Pokémon find it difficult to control without a strong bond with a Trainer.

But no, Dynamax/Gigantamax doesn't really have anything like that. The entries for these forms all just seem to emphasize that the Pokémon's natural abilities have been amplified to a devastating degree. For example, Hatterene doesn't say that it will "kill anyone with strong emotions," but instead that it will go on the attack if it senses hostility which is... pretty fair.

Similarly, G-Max Kingler's bubbles can apparently melt anyone they make contact with. That may be a little graphic, but it's just an increase in the potency of the survival tools that Kingler already make use of. (And of course, if we want to take a more evidence-based approach to what the Pokédex says, then it's pretty clear that its bubbles do not, in fact, melt your Pokémon. Reconcile that however you wish.)

Actually, come to think of it, a couple of the Gigantamax entries are heroic in tone:

Machamp: "One of these Pokémon once used its immeasurable strength to lift a large ship that was in trouble. It then carried the ship to port."

Coalossal: "When Galar was hit by a harsh cold wave, this Pokémon served as a giant heating stove and saved many lives."

Last edited:
I don't think Mega Evolution was ever meant to come off as "evil," but rather unnatural and endowing of such an overwhelming amount of power that Pokémon find it difficult to control without a strong bond with a Trainer.

But no, Dynamax/Gigantamax doesn't really have anything like that. The entries for these forms all just seem to emphasize that the Pokémon's natural abilities have been amplified to a devastating degree. For example, Hatterene doesn't say that it will "kill anyone with strong emotions," but instead that it will go on the attack if it senses hostility which is... pretty fair.

Similarly, G-Max Kingler's bubbles can apparently melt anyone they make contact with. That may be a little graphic, but it's just an increase in the potency of the survival tools that Kingler already make use of.

Actually, come to think of it, a couple of the Gigantamax entries are heroic in tone:

Machamp: "One of these Pokémon once used its immeasurable strength to lift a large ship that was in trouble. It then carried the ship to port."

Coalossal: "When Galar was hit by a harsh cold wave, this Pokémon served as a giant heating stove and saved many lives."
I guess this doesn't help the accidental horror that is the question "what happens when a move misses?"

Makes me think of all the audience members that died in the Celebrity Deathmatch fights.

Hawlucha is by far one of the best users since Unburden makes Ditto unable to outspeed you.

I run Fire Punch on mine to OHKO Ferrothorn and after Sun it can even OHKO bulky mons like Toxicrity that resist both of his STAB moves.

Assault Vest Drampa is my back-up Dynamax.

what pokemons get the most out of Dynamax actually after testing?

Overall, I like the basic idea of Dynamax. I really like the 3-turn limit, I like that it's restricted to specific locations, and I think the giant aesthetic is neat and produced some cool designs that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I love how it's used in-game in terms of Gym Leader battles, and Max Raids are super fun. But in addition to the way Gigantamax is obtained being a frustrating grind, I agree with the assessment that the effects of the Max Moves are pretty busted. Many of the G-Max Moves feel a little more reasonable to me on that level. Of course, the freedom of having held items is also a problem. I was optimistic that it might allow from some greater flexibility, and I suppose it does, but Mega Evolution and Z-Moves were indeed more balanced in this regard.

Also, I really don't know what anyone was thinking when they designed Max Guard. I don't know why anyone would ever use it as it currently exists. And I can't help but think about how Max Raid Pokémon have the ability to negate your stat boosts and abilities. Would it help at all, I wonder, if Max Guard worked similarly, and that in addition to protecting, it also negated your opponent's stat boosts and maybe the weather/terrain as well? In theory, you could choose to sacrifice half your damage output for the turn in order to even the playing field a little.

Also, I really don't know what anyone was thinking when they designed Max Guard. I don't know why anyone would ever use it as it currently exists.
Well, I’ve done it when my utility for Dynamax was over and I wanted access to my regular moves back (for example, to get Max Phantasm to turn back to Shadow sneak so I can use priority to KO) to stall a turn , but I’ve never seen an opponent do that, so I guess it’s an uncommon strategy. I’m also the only person I’ve seen in my battles who switches out mid-Dynamax if the situation gets desperate enough.

I agree that Max Guard's really bad compared to the status moves themselves. I’ve had to use max guard just because it blocked essential status moves and I wanted Dynamax to end because I wanted access to them.

I guess I just don’t give a damn about not attackig all three turns, unlike most players.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom