• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

what pokemons get the most out of Dynamax actually after testing?
Most set up sweepers become almost impossible to revenge kill because of Dynamax. Take Hydreigon for example. It can now suddenly take a quad Fairy type attack thanks to the HP increase, and probably OHKO back with + 2 Max Steelspike. Check Smogon for more info. There’s currently a suspect test going on Dynamax due to how centralizing it is.

I've got mixed feelings about Dynamax and Gigantamax.

On the one hand, I do like how it effectively combines Megas with Z-Moves together into one package. Also, because it has a time limit and can only be used once-per-battle, you actually have to think about when to use it. Unlike Megas were you can just activate the form whenever you wanted and spam attacks like there's no tomorrow until the enemy is beaten, here, with D/G-Max, you have to be more strategic about how and when you use it. It reminds me a lot of the Double Souls from Megaman Battle Network, since they have a 3-turn time limit and various bonuses that they offer (such as Tomahawk Soul creating a double Grass Stage, which makes it an effective counter to Sanctuary, as well as the other benefits it offers). So, unlike Megas or Z-Moves, there's more strategy needed when using them, otherwise they'll be wasted and/or countered.

However, I do have one beef with the gimmick, and that's the exclusiveness of G-Max. Not only is it exclusive to certain species of Mons, but only select members of said species can actually get it. For example, you can't just catch an everyday Rookidee, raise it into a Corviknight, and expect that it'll have its G-Max form no prob. No, only a certain, select, and special Corviknight can get its G-Max form, and only from a special Max Raid Battle, which also cannot be passed down via breeding to a new baby Rookidee. No, only that one specific Corviknight can access its G-Max form and no one else. If it was just exclusive to certain species, like how Megas were handled, or if it could be bred into new generations, then I'd be fine with it. But, unfortunately, it's very selective to specific members of the species, which annoys me. On top of that, some of the G-Max forms can be power-up letdowns. G-Max Corviknight, for example, replaces the handy Max Airstream, which boosts everyone's Speed, for a more situational, glorified Defog attack. While, yes, Defog is a good move (especially nowadays), the Speed boost is more viable than that. G-Max Charizard is also another example of it, as Max Flare, which creates the very useful Sunny Day, is replaced with a glorified Fire Spin-like effect. And unlike back in Gen 1, Fire Spin in itself is a power-up letdown nowadays, so it's not worth much. While some G-Max Mons did get the better end of the deal, like G-Max Machamp and G-Max Garbodor, overall, the selective nature and rather situational effects of it tend to be not as good as plain old D-Maxing. It's almost as if GF wanted to show that D-Max is better than G-Max because of its more universal benefits over the more gimmick-like G-Max moves. On top of that, when an NPC, like Bede, can G-Max their Mon, even if said Mon was part of their teams since the early days and first met in its base form, without a problem only adds onto the unfairness of it.

So, overall, while I'm more-or-less fine with the gimmick, the sheer amount of selective elements in G-Maxing don't make it worth as much as regular D-Maxing, since even among the same species that is capable of it, it is very selective and has rather situational effects. D-Max is overall better than G-Max since it isn't selective and grants more useful bonuses over the niche effects G-Max Moves provide. While I like the higher need for strategy in the gimmick, since it's not a constant power-up or one-time nuke, overall, if the regular form of it offers superior bonuses compared to the "advance" form, it says a lot about the gimmick as a whole.

I wish that Gigantimaxing was based on high friendship level, or something along those lines. It just feels so weird to me that I can raise a Pokemon from a low level and it doesn't get the chance to reach its full potential in these games because it isn't one of the selected few.

Most set up sweepers become almost impossible to revenge kill because of Dynamax. Take Hydreigon for example. It can now suddenly take a quad Fairy type attack thanks to the HP increase, and probably OHKO back with + 2 Max Steelspike. Check Smogon for more info. There’s currently a suspect test going on Dynamax due to how centralizing it is.

you can dynama one pokemon for 3 turns... how can that be centralizing when you use a team of 6 pokemon?

Better discuss how cut of moves that will come back will react to Dynamax?

How would Sonic Boom, Wring out work on Dynamax? would they even work taking the size?
Would Embargo work on a Dynamax pokemon?

Should Odeur Sleuth or Foresight work on a Dynamax ghost type?
I think Dynamax should protect from that.

Will Smack Down work on a Dynamax pokemon that is flying type or with Levitate ability?
Gravitate should work but Smack Down???

will Steamroller change it's effect? or not work on Dynamax?

you can dynama one pokemon for 3 turns... how can that be centralizing when you use a team of 6 pokemon?

Better discuss how cut of moves that will come back will react to Dynamax?

How would Sonic Boom, Wring out work on Dynamax? would they even work taking the size?
Would Embargo work on a Dynamax pokemon?

Should Odeur Sleuth or Foresight work on a Dynamax ghost type?
I think Dynamax should protect from that.

Will Smack Down work on a Dynamax pokemon that is flying type or with Levitate ability?
Gravitate should work but Smack Down???

will Steamroller change it's effect? or not work on Dynamax?
The problem with Dynamaxing is that it’s completely unpredictable, since there is no opportunity cost for item slot, you can literally Dynamax whenever.

Lot of the max moves have obscenely powerful effects. Max Airstorm grants + 1 Speed and with Conjuction of a boosting move like Swords Dance, you can completely snowball out of control, especially since the bulk from Dynamax allows you to take hits better.

Moves that calculate damage on weight have no effect on Dynamax mons, as well as Destiny Bond and moves that force switches.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I really don't like that only max moves take away 2 bars of the shield that dynas put up.

They really should have made it so that super effective moves in general from any Pokemon dyna or not take away 2 bars...

The problem with Dynamaxing is that it’s completely unpredictable, since there is no opportunity cost for item slot, you can literally Dynamax whenever.

Lot of the max moves have obscenely powerful effects. Max Airstorm grants + 1 Speed and with Conjuction of a boosting move like Swords Dance, you can completely snowball out of control, especially since the bulk from Dynamax allows you to take hits better.

Moves that calculate damage on weight have no effect on Dynamax mons, as well as Destiny Bond and moves that force switches.
Yeah, it really seems as if Game Freak ended up balancing the game around the Dynamax feature rather than balancing Dynamax to the rest of the game. One of the things Game Freak should have done is temporarily disable the Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed Pokémon's item slot like the move Embargo did before it got cut. In addition, while I can understand wanting the feature to block flinching (since you only get 3 turns with it), they should have just had the Dyanamax Pokémon keep the same weight instead of ignoring it and nullifying weight-based moves; that's just a plain cop-out.

I could actually go on and list/explain a bunch of things that could balance Dynamax/Gigantamax a bit more, but I'll save that for a blog post.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I really don't like that only max moves take away 2 bars of the shield that dynas put up.

They really should have made it so that super effective moves in general from any Pokemon dyna or not take away 2 bars...
From my expierence, as long as you have one non-AI ally that is very high leveled, most max raids are not too hard. The only ones that I've found to be hard are Ditto and pretty much any Pokemon with Defiant/Competitive-especially Obstagoon since it can stall with Obstruct.

From my expierence, as long as you have one non-AI ally that is very high leveled, most max raids are not too hard. The only ones that I've found to be hard are Ditto and pretty much any Pokemon with Defiant/Competitive-especially Obstagoon since it can stall with Obstruct.

I seem to still have bad luck even sometimes with 3/4 other players, to the point where I know that if me or another player gets a move in with 20+ damage; the dyna/giga will put up their shield and the fact that only max moves can take out two bars does annoy me. Because it's like you technically KNOW that you have a high advantage but because of the way the mechanic works; it just continues to work against you.

On that subject though; does anyone know how to reset raids or how to spawn new ones ect? At the minute I've just been doing every raid at every den just to spawn a variety of new ones. Can someone please fill me in on how they work/reset overall?

Maybe I'm just not high leveled enough, but I have a hard time with a few of the 5 star raids without another human at least. I basically haven't done any leveling up post final story battle, though.

I seem to still have bad luck even sometimes with 3/4 other players, to the point where I know that if me or another player gets a move in with 20+ damage; the dyna/giga will put up their shield and the fact that only max moves can take out two bars does annoy me. Because it's like you technically KNOW that you have a high advantage but because of the way the mechanic works; it just continues to work against you.

On that subject though; does anyone know how to reset raids or how to spawn new ones ect? At the minute I've just been doing every raid at every den just to spawn a variety of new ones. Can someone please fill me in on how they work/reset overall?
Raids reset at midnight or when you defeat all the present raids. A way to reset raids is throw a wishing piece then immediately reset a purple beam. Save prior to the purple beam.

Game Freak have a nasty habit of not doing everything I expect them to, but I wonder if the plan is to have Pokémon that you bring over from Home (or maybe just from GO/Let's Go via Home? Data-wise, wouldn't the Pokémon from GO and Let's Go need more of a realignment than ones from Sun & Moon anyway?) have a guaranteed Gigantamax Factor, kind of like how Pokémon brought over through Bank from the virtual console games were guaranteed to have Hidden Abilities.

Game Freak have a nasty habit of not doing everything I expect them to, but I wonder if the plan is to have Pokémon that you bring over from Home (or maybe just from GO/Let's Go via Home? Data-wise, wouldn't the Pokémon from GO and Let's Go need more of a realignment than ones from Sun & Moon anyway?) have a guaranteed Gigantamax Factor, kind of like how Pokémon brought over through Bank from the virtual console games were guaranteed to have Hidden Abilities.

I'm curious why you think they would even do that.

I highly doubt that'd be a thing.

That did give me an idea tho... What if there's some way in Home to give that factor to Pokemon? You know, so eventually your favorite and cherished Pokemon can gigantamax instead of being tossed to the side for one that can.

I don't expect GF to do that either, but that could be a nice compromise.

Incentive bonus for buying/using Home, and because I figure the data of GO and Let's Go Pokémon will need to be changed up a bit when brought over to Sword & Shield anyway - like I said, giving them a guaranteed G-Max Factor could be just like the virtual console RBY/GSC Pokémon getting their Hidden Abilities when moved to Bank.

And I mean, I imagine we'll get access to G-Max Melmetal at some point, but unless they do a direct distribution (which they certainly could, don't get me wrong), it would have to come from GO or Let's Go. But what would determine whether or not it has the G-Max Factor? To me it would make sense to just have all of them gain it upon being moved to Home.

Last edited:

Yeah, it really seems as if Game Freak ended up balancing the game around the Dynamax feature rather than balancing Dynamax to the rest of the game. One of the things Game Freak should have done is temporarily disable the Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed Pokémon's item slot like the move Embargo did before it got cut. In addition, while I can understand wanting the feature to block flinching (since you only get 3 turns with it), they should have just had the Dyanamax Pokémon keep the same weight instead of ignoring it and nullifying weight-based moves; that's just a plain cop-out.

I could actually go on and list/explain a bunch of things that could balance Dynamax/Gigantamax a bit more, but I'll save that for a blog post.

I think it works great 3 turns and everything makes sense and is good that only one can get dynamax per battle.
The free item slot could be in future used for a new item to Dynamax/Gigantamax a pokemon outside of Galar.
That wishing star...

If they bring more pokemon next time, the cut moves(hope many buffed), megas...

How good would Mega pokemon do against Dmax/Gmax pokemon actually?

I've got mixed feelings about Dynamax and Gigantamax.

On the one hand, I do like how it effectively combines Megas with Z-Moves together into one package. Also, because it has a time limit and can only be used once-per-battle, you actually have to think about when to use it. Unlike Megas were you can just activate the form whenever you wanted and spam attacks like there's no tomorrow until the enemy is beaten, here, with D/G-Max, you have to be more strategic about how and when you use it. It reminds me a lot of the Double Souls from Megaman Battle Network, since they have a 3-turn time limit and various bonuses that they offer (such as Tomahawk Soul creating a double Grass Stage, which makes it an effective counter to Sanctuary, as well as the other benefits it offers). So, unlike Megas or Z-Moves, there's more strategy needed when using them, otherwise they'll be wasted and/or countered.

However, I do have one beef with the gimmick, and that's the exclusiveness of G-Max. Not only is it exclusive to certain species of Mons, but only select members of said species can actually get it. For example, you can't just catch an everyday Rookidee, raise it into a Corviknight, and expect that it'll have its G-Max form no prob. No, only a certain, select, and special Corviknight can get its G-Max form, and only from a special Max Raid Battle, which also cannot be passed down via breeding to a new baby Rookidee. No, only that one specific Corviknight can access its G-Max form and no one else. If it was just exclusive to certain species, like how Megas were handled, or if it could be bred into new generations, then I'd be fine with it. But, unfortunately, it's very selective to specific members of the species, which annoys me. On top of that, some of the G-Max forms can be power-up letdowns. G-Max Corviknight, for example, replaces the handy Max Airstream, which boosts everyone's Speed, for a more situational, glorified Defog attack. While, yes, Defog is a good move (especially nowadays), the Speed boost is more viable than that. G-Max Charizard is also another example of it, as Max Flare, which creates the very useful Sunny Day, is replaced with a glorified Fire Spin-like effect. And unlike back in Gen 1, Fire Spin in itself is a power-up letdown nowadays, so it's not worth much. While some G-Max Mons did get the better end of the deal, like G-Max Machamp and G-Max Garbodor, overall, the selective nature and rather situational effects of it tend to be not as good as plain old D-Maxing. It's almost as if GF wanted to show that D-Max is better than G-Max because of its more universal benefits over the more gimmick-like G-Max moves. On top of that, when an NPC, like Bede, can G-Max their Mon, even if said Mon was part of their teams since the early days and first met in its base form, without a problem only adds onto the unfairness of it.

So, overall, while I'm more-or-less fine with the gimmick, the sheer amount of selective elements in G-Maxing don't make it worth as much as regular D-Maxing, since even among the same species that is capable of it, it is very selective and has rather situational effects. D-Max is overall better than G-Max since it isn't selective and grants more useful bonuses over the niche effects G-Max Moves provide. While I like the higher need for strategy in the gimmick, since it's not a constant power-up or one-time nuke, overall, if the regular form of it offers superior bonuses compared to the "advance" form, it says a lot about the gimmick as a whole.
My problem is with dynamax's "strategy" is that the costless nature of the mechanic kills a lot of strategy outside of the mechanic and forces the player to operate under the selection of set effects offered by max moves.

Like others have said before, Gamefreak balanced the game around dynamax rather than balance dynamax around the game and that sounds miserable to someone who hates the garish red of the aura and how ugly the poop clods look.

For me, dynamax is salt on the Dexit inflicted wound.

Did someone test 1 hit KO moves and how they work on Dynamax pokemon?
If people have a problem with Dynamax and Gigantamax it can be easy fix with items that could work outside of Galar.
Especially Gigantamax would be cool to activate on pokemon without raid battles, to be similar like Megas or Z-moves in that matter.

How would you show the total stats of a Gigantamax pokemon form?
Its regular Total stats + (between 1,5 and )2 x Hp?

Charizard 534+ between 39 and 76, means
Gigantamax Charizards total stats is between 573 and 610?
a little lame compared to megas where both forms have 634 total stats...

And a battle simulation between a Gigantamax and a Mega pokemon to see how they would compete?

Gitantamax Charizard Wild Fire effects won't even hurt them... at least max moves especialy ancient power as max move makes out for it.

It can rise speed with Max Airstream and then Max Rockfall Charizard Y
It can do the same and hit heavy Charizard X with Max dragon move that decreases oponents attack one stage.
But is it enough for three turns to take them out?

Charizard after getting hit with stealth rocks can G-max and show of...

Hmm for something so big, better would be if G-max would get a other ability if it will be even possible in a sequel if it eve happens then the regular blaze and hidden ability then of regular charizard.
Looking at G-max Charizard and its dex entry screams for Flash fire actualy but would steal a little from Typhlosion.
Multiscale also would be good here.

I think You can win without Dynamax/Gigantamax , the feauture is weaker then Megas when it comes to stats, the max moves are also not the level that Z-moves were, power is lower only effects save it... Gigantamax looses Max move for Gigantamax move and looses that other effect... down side that all moves of the type of G-max move become the G-max move...
The countles move immunities, flinching immunity rescue Dynamax feauture actually here.

Good they break protects... G-max moves should break through Max moves the same way...

Like the weight move immunity is nice that a small pokemon can change the tide with it.
The counting of damage to some moves also positive.
Also that the transformation reverts some effects and other things is quite good.

Generaly would add Gigantamax a other ability after transformation then its base form and make it get stats boost of lowest stats to make it up.
Also the hp is only max 200% now? A Gigantamax form should be 300%.

Also hope cut moves come back and some will be addet to the Dmax block list because they should.

What would be if a D-max or G-max transformation would heal status conditions and allow a pokemon also to regain it's full hp like after using a potion? the transformation itself getting a self healing factor?

not only the extra hp but regaining the lost hp too automatically especialy by Gigantamax pokemon should be a option.
And healing out of stats... Imagine Your pokemon is frozen and you Dmax or G-max it and free from Freeze, wake it up from sleep and what ever it had... even heal a Curse via transformation.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom