• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

I think max raids would have worked vastly better if instead of NPCs you used four of your own Pokémon. They'd need to give high star raid bosses a few more tricks or better stats, but that would be interesting gameplay; there would be strategizing and bringing Pokémon with support moves like Reflect and Light Screen.

Oh I like this. That's a good thought - while I don't think it would make raids much more challenging, it would be more interesting, for sure, and probably more effective at improving the partners than simply buffing their AI.

(Now that I think about it, it would also give the Move Deleter a bit more use - say you wanted to have one of your Pokémon designated specifically for setting up screens, you could delete their other two moves and just run Reflect and Light Screen in order to ensure that they would provide reliable setup. You'd give up the option of having them contribute offensively, but the more moves you give them, the less likely they are to do a specific thing that you may need them to, so there's a good trade-off.)

what if there could be max reid battles against two Dynamaxed or Gigantamaxed pokemon?

If your oponents would attack you instead of the Boss then it would be chalenging bc, its a fight for the pokemon.

If your oponents would attack you instead of the Boss then it would be chalenging bc, its a fight for the pokemon.
You can already fight against other players. I much prefer the teamwork to letting one person screw others over. (Not to mention how nobody would want to team up for Max Raids at all with that system)

You can already fight against other players. I much prefer the teamwork to letting one person screw others over. (Not to mention how nobody would want to team up for Max Raids at all with that system)
why not? battle royal were interesting.

what about battling against 2 gigantamax pokemon in a double battle in a raid? 4 trainers against 2?

why not? battle royal were interesting.

what about battling against 2 gigantamax pokemon in a double battle in a raid? 4 trainers against 2?
Battle Royal did not have a Pokemon reward.
People would just enter raid battles alone so they don’t have to fight someone over it. It’s supposed to be teamwork to take down a powerful Pokémon, not a contest.

soooo i've been giving it a lot of thought, and had some discussions with a few people about it. i've come to realize that when it comes to max raid battles being a "challenge", it's not so much of a fulfilling challenge if you constantly have to worry about the AI's every move. personally speaking, it irritates me if the difference between winning and losing depended on whether or not Solrock decides to use Cosmic Power. :c

if everything goes right and there's still a loss despite that (like say for example, the raid boss repeatedly buffing themselves via Swords Dance/Calm Mind/Quiver Dance) then fine, that's on me to strategize a bit more. but i really don't want incompetent AIs deciding my fate for me.

Just yesterday I fought a Wailord. He beat be the first time cause I kinda had a useless team, but the second try went better, despite the team being almost the exact same except trade 1 for another useless mon. We beat his second set of shields and now he needed one more super effective hit to go down. Thankfully I had a Jolteon NPC. You would think the smartest move is to hit it with an electric attack to beat it. Nope, it goes and uses swift, making it have a sliver of hp left. Thankfully the others took it down but I was so mad

hmmm interesting if they bring back those cut off moves ,
and if Steamroller will get blocked by Dynamax bc it should.
Centiscorch needs that support.

Why would Centiscorch be worried about a Bug-type move? It resists Bug.

rather into the moveset to use it. That move was cut off.
A move that powers doubles when minimise is used.

I analised what would happen if it came back into play.
Either fail or be halved in power then....

Last edited:
With the Isle of Armor finally out, I’d like to update my rankings list once again.
A: Charizard, Blastoise, Drednaw, Corviknight
B: Lapras, Butterfree, Pikachu
C+: Eevee, Orbeetle
C: Venusaur, Snorlax, Alcremie, Toxtricity, Centiskorch, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Sandaconda, Coalosal, Urshifu
D: Meowth, Machamp, Gengar, Kingler, Garbodor, Melmetal, Flapple/Appletun, Duraludon
F: Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Copperajah
Several Pokémon went up in ranking, such as Pikachu and Duraludon. Venusaur is the only Pokémon that decreased in rank (technically Charizard and Drednaw also decreased but that’s because I felt there was no reason for an S ranking because I bumped Corviknight and Blastoise to S rank, leaving A rank empty, so I just dropped everything to A rank rather than go from B rank to S). Blastoise’s Gmax form has grown on me a bit. I’m quite happy it’s way better looking than Mega Blastoise in my opinion. Anyways, overall I’ve noticed my dislike towards many of the Gmax forms has faded to neutrality (I might even update my update later).

Drednaw is still my favorite Gmax form while Copperajah is still my least favorite form.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up in the Dynamax thread; go ahead and merge if it's really necessary.

This is a tidbit that isn't brought up much, but Professor Magnolia's research in the games, as well as this interview, officially states that the Dynamax/Gigantamax transformation doesn't actually involve the Pokemon growing; the Pokemon uses Galar particles to manifest a gigantic energy projection that it controls from within. It's like a hard-light mecha.

As it's only usually mentioned in passing, it doesn't amount to much in the big picture, but from what I've seen in the few times it's been discussed, people feel like it wastes the entire concept of giant Pokemon, especially Bogleech here.

So... thoughts on this?

I don’t think it really makes that much of a difference as far as “making something of the concept” goes

Although to be pedantic, I don’t think it’s really a “projection” so much as space itself being warped so that the Pokémon’s atoms take up more space than they actually would according to their normal mass. But even that still doesn’t make much of a functional difference. At the end of the day, they’re still giant entities that can physically interact with the environment.

Personally, I’m more curious as to what causes the form change during Gigantamax. Why do they change form, and why do they take on those specific forms? I assume the Pokémon itself actually is physically changing, much like with Mega Evolution, but isn’t actually as big as it seems (due to the space warping aspect).

As it's only usually mentioned in passing, it doesn't amount to much in the big picture, but from what I've seen in the few times it's been discussed, people feel like it wastes the entire concept of giant Pokemon, especially Bogleech here.

So... thoughts on this?
While I don't think I'd say that the fact that D/Gmax are just projections wastes the idea of giant Pokemon, I do have to say it is a bit disappointing for reasons I can't fully explain. Just imagine if Godzilla wasn't actually a giant monster, instead it was just the hard-light projection of an iguana. I mean, it's basically the same thing, but somehow it feels... less. There's just something about them being "only projections" that just diminishes the concept for me, and opens up a whole can of worms an how the Pokemon operates while it is in projection mode, i.e. Dyanamaxed/Gigantamaxed. Like, is the Pokemon's body in the center of the projection and, if so, how come it doesn't fall? When it's Dyanamaxed/Gigantamaxed, what is it experiencing? Is it seeing and feeling what the projection "feels" and how does that work? If not, how does it move without stumbling over everything? etc. While giant Pokemon also have their host of issues, I feel they skirt them due to the rule of cool while projections don't have that.

For me, having Dyanamax and Gigantamax forms be projections instead of the Pokemon actually growing giant changes the mechanic from "giant monster" to "oh...". Like, reading how Gmax Meowth slashes skyscrapers with its claws seems less intimidating or cool when it's just a projection doing the damage. It's the most minor of differences but I do feel the whole projection thing cheapens the idea a little bit.

Last edited:
Hmm...sounds similar kinda to the Hyper Mode from Aura Battler Dunbine, a fantasy anime from the early '80s. Similarly to Dynamax, when a Battler entered Hyper Mode their Aura would uncontrollably exude out of their body and harden into a giant projection of themselves which they could control. You'd gain godlike power for a few minutes until your Aura ran out and you'd die - which is why nobody used it willingly since everybody who went Hyper inexplicably was killed. I wonder if that's a coincidence or not since Dunbine was also inspired by British fantasy mythology. :unsure:

I kinda rambled off topic for a minute there but what I actually wanted to say was that this reminds me of Midichlorians. Basically when you give a scientific explanation to a fantastical concept, it never seems to go over well with fans. It personally doesn't bother me since there's no discernible difference functionally but I can kinda see why people prefer the simpler Rita Repulsa "make my monster grow" shtick.

Last edited:
While I don't think I'd say that the fact that D/Gmax are just projections wastes the idea of giant Pokemon, I do have to say it is a bit disappointing for reasons I can't fully explain. Just imagine if Godzilla wasn't actually a giant monster, instead it was just the hard-light projection of an iguana. I mean, it's basically the same thing, but somehow it feels... less. There's just something about them being "only projections" that just diminishes the concept for me, and opens up a whole can of worms an how the Pokemon operates while it is in projection mode, i.e. Dyanamaxed/Gigantamaxed. Like, is the Pokemon's body in the center of the projection and, if so, how come it doesn't fall? When it's Dyanamaxed/Gigantamaxed, what is it experiencing? Is it seeing and feeling what the projection "feels" and how does that work? If not, how does it move without stumbling over everything? etc. While giant Pokemon also have their host of issues, I feel they skirt them due to the rule of cool while projections don't have that.

For me, having Dyanamax and Gigantamax forms be projections instead of the Pokemon actually growing giant changes the mechanic from "giant monster" to "oh...". Like, reading how Gmax Meowth slashes skyscrapers with its claws seems less intimidating or cool when it's just a projection doing the damage. It's the most minor of differences but I do feel the whole projection thing cheapens the idea a little bit.

THis 100%, my head Canon its the actual monsters growing to full size, hope they drop the bit about being projections

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom