• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Dynamaxing Thread

It would be so forced to have it in Gen 4 remakes, and to me the explanation in ORAS for Mega Evolution was stretching it already (they had to make the remake be an alternate universe of the original Gen 3 games in order to put Mega Evolution in it). So putting Dynamax in these remakes would have to have an explanation that is even more implausible.

I know that "being faithful to the originals" has been discussed to death here, but putting Dynamax would arguably go against any variant outcome of that statement.

I think they will be back for online battling only. (IF there's SwSh connectivity, which it might not have). Otherwise I think Dynamax won't be in these games

Last edited:
In my opinion Dynamaxing is a horrible concept that would make no sense if they added it to Sinnoh. They would have to explain how Sinnoh had the same energy that Galar did, which would be silly no matter how they explain, and also include Max Raid Battles, which may be rather difficult to implement properly if they're trying to be as faithful as possible.

I don't see Dynamax happening here. Unlike with how XY handled the origins of Mega Evolution, Sword and Shield made it very clear Dynamaxing is a Galar region specific thing - culturally and geographically.

At most, I can see a designated area that conveniently happens to house a Power Spot, where a single Galarian representative comes and informs the player about the phenomenon in a contrived fashion (with a free Dynamax Band in hand). Thus, Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing can only happen in this space.
>Sword and Shield made it very clear Dynamaxing is a Galar region specific thing

Huh???
1612895017148.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion Dynamaxing is a horrible concept that would make no sense if they added it to Sinnoh. They would have to explain how Sinnoh had the same energy that Galar did, which would be silly no matter how they explain, and also include Max Raid Battles, which may be rather difficult to implement properly if they're trying to be as faithful as possible.
>is a horrible concept
well its better than megashit
1605668111534.png

Last edited by a moderator:
>Sword and Shield made it very clear Dynamaxing is a Galar region specific thing

Huh???View attachment 142998
I mean, you're using two lines of flavor text from the Pokedex (which has been proven to be arguable several times before) to refute an entire game's dedication to a region-specific narrative? Not to mention, there is no context from that entry. Whose to say that the "legends" did not occur after seeing Gigantimax Melmetal in Galar? Tales brought back to the distant lands that became legends?

That being said, it isn't like phenomena cannot be retconned. Initially, Mega Stones & Mega Evolution were essentially a Kalosian thing before them apparently being dated back to ancient times with Rayquaza in Hoenn. However, I'm going to need more than a Pokedex entry before my perspective regarding Dynamax's exclusivity changes.

>is a horrible concept
well its better than megashit
Just a heads up, I added a spoiler tag to your images because they’re pretty large on mobile.

Anyway, as someone who fully appreciates Gigantamax designs (although I do prefer Mega Evolution as a mechanic), I still don’t care for that image at all. Using derivative language to describe something and juxtaposing it to something else that you’ve used analytical language to describe doesn’t make for a very convincing argument. To say nothing about the fact that character designs are fully subjective anyway.

I mean, personally I do like a lot of the Gigantimax designs, though not how the mechanic itself works and get used in the games.

Although personally I'm sort of leaning towards it not being in BDSP. I won't be surprised if I'm wrong, but I get the impression Mega Evolution was intended to be more permanent then it ended up being, which could be why it was added to OR/AS--they gave megas a pretty big push during gen 6, with the Mega Evolution twist in Origins, it's own mini spinoff anime, and made it into Super Mystery Dungeon while Dynamax wasn't added to Mystery Dungeon Deluxe (but Megas were).

With the graphic of chibi style, I don't really see Dynamax/Gigantamax making it's way into BDSP, plus why would GF repeat the cycle again with XY/ORAS with mega evolution lore. Dynamax/Gigantamax are SWSH gimmick only and it make zero since for this gimmick into sinnoh, since BDSP are going to be "faithful" remake.

I never cared for these battle gimmicks, as they tend to take away from strategy and instead make you rely on overpowered mechanics to win matches. In the story portion, they tend to cheapen even the hardest battles in the game. In competitive, you'll be facing quite a few "same-y" teams as some Pokemon are more competitively viable than others (like how Mega Kangaskhan and Talonflame dominated the Gen 6 metagame). And for the "lore," I hate how the writing resorts to "oh, but they've always been there! We just never brought it up until now!" types of reasons.

Anyways, I don't see Dynamax making its way into Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl without significantly changing the flow of the original story mode in Diamond/Pearl. Partially, because the Wild Area in Galar is a significant piece that pushes the mechanic forward. But with no Pokemon Dens to search for, adding Dynamax to a game that wasn't designed with it in mind would be a poorly implemented afterthought. BD/SP on its surface seems like it'll follow more closely in the footsteps of its predecessors rather than imitating what Sw/Sh did, so chances are that it may not have its own version of the "Wild Area." This, of course, is just speculation based on what little info we have.

As for "lore" reasons, I can see a similar retcon like they did with Mega Evolution in OR/AS (different origin from X/Y and further justifying it with a safe explanation such as a "parallel universe"). They'll probably write in that Arceus is capable of Dynamax since it's the "Original One" and all. Or the creation god or whatever you want to call it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom