• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon, XY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon

I know, but the "proper" spelling of it is Faerie.

Don't ask me how I know that.

It's just the British spelling. Not the proper one. America spells it differently, deal with it.

It's neither the "proper" nor the British spelling. It's the old Anglo-French spelling, now largely superseded by "fairy". In modern usage, "faerie" is sometimes used as a synonym for "fairy" - mostly, I suspect, because it looks cooler with its archaic spelling. There are subtle differences between the two uses, with "faerie" typically referring to the more folklorish, fantastical depictions, though this could be nothing more than the fact that fantasy authors like to show off a bit.

Aye, it's pretty much the equivalent of calling it "Magick". Although Faerie can be a place, while Fairy always refers to the creatures.

Re: E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon

I swear I didn't know about any of this when I made my username/avatar. :shy:

'Faerie' is French, I think. Not British, but maybe really old French. :ksmile:

Last edited:

I will be forever calling this F-Type...

And subsequently not using this type or its Pokemon. Not that I hate it, I just have a few types 'm good with and some others I completely neglect.

Now that I think about it, were people reacting EXACTLY like this when the Dark and Steel types were announced? Someone, please tell me because I was only about a year old when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out.

Now that I think about it, were people reacting EXACTLY like this when the Dark and Steel types were announced? Someone, please tell me because I was only about a year old when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out.

I personally was excited for new types. It was all a part of the newness... new pokemon, new types, new moves. It was all new in a way things hadn't been new before.

There was no precedent for moves and when they would appear, for all we knew there could have been new types every gen.

And subsequently not using this type or its Pokemon. Not that I hate it, I just have a few types 'm good with and some others I completely neglect.

Hey those types you are good with might end up dual typing with Fairy, gotta stay on your toes!

Personally I was happy when I heard there was a new Dark and Steel type in Godl and Silver. I loved all the Dark and Steel types and that Magnemite and Magneton were retyped. Though I was only 8 or 9 and didn't care about type weaknesses and strengths much and just played the game. :p But eventually Dark became my favorite type and Umbreon one of my favorite Pokemon.

Now as for the new Fairy type, I wasn't all for it at first, but now I'm okay with it cause it makes sense and really fits as a Pokemon type. Makes much more sense than Light or anything else.And think about it, they've ,in a way ,used Umbreon, a then new Eeveelution, to introduce the Dark type , so it makes sense to me that they would use Sylveon to introduce a new type. I was confused as to why it's strong to Dragon, but after reading this Fairies and the Fairy Type - Bulbanews, it makes sense why it's called Fairy and why it's strong against Dragons. Plus it balances out the type chart more and makes Dragon less overpowered and more common. The retyping were also expected for me. They did the same in Gen II with making Magnemite/Magneton Steel so it's makes sense they'd retype some Pokemon when introducing a new type. Though Marill being Water/Fairy makes no sense to me. Gardevoir being Psychic/Fairy sort of does. And Jiggypuff being Normal/Fairy makes the most sense. Clefairy being retyped as Fairy should happen too cause it is CleFAIRY and it's the FAIRY Pokemon.If it isn't then I'l will forever question GF's logic. And since Snubull's also the Fairy Pokemon it makes sense to me it would get retyped too. (Plus it's pink and has bow-like ears like Sylveon's bows.) And if Granbull were to also be retyped, then there could be a Fairy Pokemon that's mean looking and not just a bunch of cutesy and girly ones.

I know, but the "proper" spelling of it is Faerie.

Don't ask me how I know that.

It's just the British spelling. Not the proper one. America spells it differently, deal with it.

It's neither the "proper" nor the British spelling. It's the old Anglo-French spelling, now largely superseded by "fairy". In modern usage, "faerie" is sometimes used as a synonym for "fairy" - mostly, I suspect, because it looks cooler with its archaic spelling. There are subtle differences between the two uses, with "faerie" typically referring to the more folklorish, fantastical depictions, though this could be nothing more than the fact that fantasy authors like to show off a bit.

Aye, it's pretty much the equivalent of calling it "Magick". Although Faerie can be a place, while Fairy always refers to the creatures.

Yea it's basically the hipster way of saying Fairy. Just like "Majick" people mostly use faerie when they think they are being special or unique. They want to be different, outside the norm or generally just pretending to be a know it all and explain it to us normals.

Agreed I have no particular hatred towards it but certainly no draw towards it. Strong indifferance or un-interest. I doubt I'll be using to many fairy types at all from what has been shown/explained so far.

Hey those types you are good with might end up dual typing with Fairy, gotta stay on your toes![/QUOTE]

True.. true. A Grass\Fairy wouldn't be bad as long as it isn't overtly feminine and embarrassing to use. Grass types usually have no means to defend themselves when it comes to Dragons.

Kinda silly to be embarrassed about a digital pokemon you're using to fight, especially if it could save you in a fight you might have otherwise lost. Not to say that anyone has to use them, but I think it's kinda silly to get embarrassed over something like that. Look how many guys actually like MLP (not the over obsessed) and think about it for a moment. It's just because a lot of things people accuse of being "girly" have become associated with that automatically as the norm in most people's mindsets. Heck ancient Roman and even Aztec/Mayan warriors wore skirts into battle. Granted they weren't pink, but pink wasn't a color you could find easily back then anyway.

My point is that people should be more secure in themselves than to be embarrassed about a type being called "fairy" and some of them looking girly or cute. Personally I'm excited about the type and I'll definitely be getting myself a Sylveon for my team, at least as a stand-in, in case of dragons.

Also, while on this subject, I'm curious to see what new moves with the fairy type will exist and what former moves might change to have the new fairy type as their type instead of their current ones. I'm sure some from the psychic list will change like "Healing Wish" for one or "Moonlight"

After thinking about it for a while, Sylveon may have to be in my party at all times. ***ing Garchomp...

Maybe that was why they introduced the new type?

I'm still reading it at the moment, but my biggest WTF was when I saw Gardevior and Marill being retyped. Gardevior I can kind of understand, but why the hell Marill? Azumarill doesn't resemble a fairy in the slightest.

In general, I'm unhappy with the retypings. I was hoping there wouldn't be any... Can't be helped though.

Marill and Azumarill are in the FAIRY egg group. So the dual fairy-typing actually makes sense. In fact, someday we'll probably get a monster type. Since there's a MONSTER egg group as well.

On the page, I didn't see a link to any page on Pokemon Amie or Noviern's signiture move. Do we have pages on the move or the feature? The Official Pokemon US Website on X & Y have some information on the new features.

Also, thinking about fairies, I found this:
h8EFA91EC

I completely forgot about that guy, until now.

Also, thinking about fairies, I found this:
h8EFA91EC

I completely forgot about that guy, until now.

Haha, I forgot about him, too. I need to watch that series again. Was worth plenty of laughs. Good example.

Anyway, on subject, I'm quite pleased with everything that we've been shown so far. The more I think about it, the more I welcome this new type, even if the name seems a bit odd. But that's water under the bridge. I'm sure Gen VI will prove it's worth big time. Gen V broke a few boundaries already, so I'm looking forward to more info to satisfy my gaming desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom