• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Early picks for your US/UM team?

Inkay on route 1 is great, it means I can drop my starter as soon as possible.

since there was no 3rd game in gen 6, i feel like doing the same setup as i did with gen 5, when there's bw that are all new, and b2w2 where there were newly added old ones.

i keep my mon's represent at least one different type and for new games, keep trying the new ones, to make them as diverse as possible.

so my team in moon and it was:

decidueye (grass, starter)
mudsdale (ground, physical attacker)
salazzle (fire, special attacker)
togedemaru (electric, cute and balanced attacker w/ zing zap and defender w/ iron barbs)
golisopod (water, solid attacker, ace player)
komo-o (dragon, late addition)

now i'm getting ultra sun and want to try out the ones i haven't used in moon and some old ones too. I'm thinking of:

primarina (fairy, starter)
Lycanroc Dusk (rock, new form)
alolan ninetales (ice, special attacker, ice is my favorite type, plus weather setter with snow warning)
volcarona (bug, i always loved her since black and white)
tyranitar (dark, i got so close with him in pokemon go, i missed playing him in main games, plus sandstream)
froslass (ghost, my favorite mon, works with icetales)

i hope they're a good pick.

My UM team will be whatever I encounter and end up liking. For US, I know I’m going to start with Incineroar, and now that we know Smoochum/Jynx will be available early on, she’s definitely going on the team. Aside from that... maybe a Lycanroc (Midday) since I haven’t used one before. I’d still love to give Toxapex a try, too.

I've finally made up my mind to box the starter ASAP I used all 3 in Sun AND Moon and they all suck (Primarina sucks slightly less) and I'm in no rush to use them ever again so...

based on what we've seen in trailers I'm planning to use:
Houndour, Clamperl or Seel (depending how early I can catch it), Tropius, Golett, Mienfoo & Swirlix.
All pokemon I've never used before in any game and I plan to use them unless I find something else I like on the way and replace one of these.

I picked out my US team

Noivern (Dash - my starter)
Luxray (Shadow)
Alolan Sandslash (Snowy)
Krookodile (Not sure about a name yet. Maybe Smiles?)
Bewear (Biscuit, Cookies, Bear Claw, Chocolate, or Lemon Sorbet.)
Gengar (Gomez)

I wanted to use more Alolan Pokemon, but most of them are kind of shit :V And I already used Alolan Raichu a few times and found it boring to play.

EDIT: Post-game team will be Noivern, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Sandslash, Krookodile, Buzzwole and Gengar.

Last edited:
Mod note:
Also in this thread: if you mention Pokémon that haven't been revealed to be in the game yet, please use spoiler tags. This goes for both new Pokémon and existing Pokémon that are newly added to the USUM dex.

I'm trying to prevent myself from building a team this early in the game, but it's really hard not too. I've been building my team prior to actually playing the game for a long time.

But, I think I will put down my options that I'll be choosing.

Pokemon I will for sure use on the team:
Decidueye.

Options:
Absol
Alolan Ninetales (I am playing UM, though. But my friend is getting Ultra Sun first, so I'll ask her if she can catch an Alolan vulpix for me, andI'll send her over an Alolan Sandshrew)
Alolan Sandslash
Arcanine
Clefairy
Froslass
Palossand
Kommo-o
Crabrawler
Umbreon
Espeon
Lycanroc Midnight
Vikavolt
Bewear
Araquanid
Gastrodon
Toxapex

Pyroar
Dewgong (one of my favorite Pokemon, how can I not?)
Ambipom
Lopunny (this will likely happen. I've never used Lopunny before, and it's been a while since I've used a normal type for a team)
Houndoom
Lycanroc Dusk (only if the Rockruff we receive as a gift is able to be named. If I can't name him Carrots, then he's not going to be used)
Aurorus
Ampharos
Dedenne
Banette
Zoroark
Cincinno

Even with the new additions, there's still not much in the dex I like or haven't already used multiple times.
Ideally, I'd like to use mons I've never used. This is what I've come up with so far:

• Primarina
  • Mudsdale
  • Pangoro
  • Aegislash
  • Talonflame
  • Alolan Exeggutor
I was actually planning on using Pangoro in Moon, but ultimately never did.

Last edited:
Even with the new additions, there's still not much in the dex I like or haven't already used multiple times.

I'm having the same problem ^^; After multiple hours of checking out the whole dex I came up with the following:

Ultra Sun Team.png

Might change while playing though, I remember my SuMo team changed quite a lot.

Primarina (F)
Jolteon (F)
Latias
HA Alolan Ninetales (F)
Dusk Lycanroc
Sceptile

Some of these will be transferred from previous games.

Story team (based on what I consider more or less to be Moon's "canon" team)
-Decidueye
-Dusk Lycanroc
-Umbreon
-Comfey
-Alolan Sandslash
-Kommo-o

And probably Dawn Wings Necrozma as well, since it's probably going to be a required story capture (my guess is that "Nebby" will grow up to become the Solgaleo/Lunala that you ride through Ultra Space)

-Torterra (Island Scan)
-Vaporeon
-Clefable
-Magnezone
-Mega Gallade (Island Scan)
-Mega Absol

Well, I'll be boxing the starter and will have this team:
1. Haunter
2. Madibuzz
3. Magneton
4. Whiscash
5. Machoke
6. Mr. Mime

Can't trade and don't care about Magnezone. So I am trying something new by trying out Haunter, Machoke and Magneton.

My starting team I think will be:

Popplio
Rockruff event thingy
Ash cap Pikachu (got the QR code from the movie)
Pikipek

Then whatever mons I encounter in the wild.

I have bred majority of the Pokémon to use on my Ultra Sun team. My team will consist of:

- Shiny Rayquaza
- Dragonite
- Dusk Lycanroc
- Alolan Ninetales
- Alolan Marowak
- Kommo-O

Last edited:
I did some team planing and decided that I want to make a generation 4 and 7 them team.
Popplio
Event Rockruff
Grubbin
Shellos
Drfloon
Buneary

I wanted to use Aipom, but after looking it up in the data mines, I found out that you can get it in Poni island at the post game. Since it's the same story with Gastrodon, I might as well breed the two Pokemon I want and transfer them over to Ultra Moon and I can replace the Buneary with the newly bred Aipom.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom