• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Early picks for your US/UM team?

I think I should use Kommo-o this time. Was planning to do so in Sun but by the time I reached Vast Poni Canyon I didn't feel patient enough to search for a Jangmo-o spawn so I skipped it in the end. But this time, since I've used most other good options in Sun and
Kommo-o gets an exclusive Z-Move
I think I should give it a try for real.

The idea that led to my inclusion of Honchkrow goes as such: Z-Tailwind paired with Super Luck to raise Speed and guarantee critical hits on every move. I'm working under the assumption that move tutors will get Superpower on the bird, with the Attack drops being ignored by the 100% crit rate.

Now that some more mons from previous games have been revealed to be available in USUM, I have a bit of a clearer picture of what I want to use on my team. So far I think I'm going for:

- Murkrow (if it's available early which seems to be the case since a trainer with a lvl10 one was shown in a trailer)
- Furfrou (gonna try for a shiny one)
- Mienfoo
- Mime Jr. (with a very large Everstone on it)

These are mostly mons I've never used before and were on my list of mons I wanted to have on my team once. Except Murkrow, I just really love that bird :D

Might add Zorua on that list too but not sure yet. I love its design but its ability sadly makes it so you hardly ever see its true form ^^;

I thought playing both games would make my decisions easier. If anything, it's had the opposite effect.

For most it depends on where they are.

I'll almost definitely use Decidueye and Lycanroc (Dusk). Kommo-O is another I'd like to use, but if it's still limited to the last quarter of the game I probably won't - but we will see.

While I used them before, both Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Raichu are also contenders. I just like them a lot.

I really, really want to use Volcarona, but I'm not going to carry a Larvesta through the first E4 until it evolves at level 59...

I'm also going to use a Tyranitar as soon as I get one because I love that Badass Dino. I'll probably also use Metagross again because Metagross. I may use a Toxapex if I have the patience to hunt for one.

I really, really want to use Volcarona, but I'm not going to carry a Larvesta through the first E4 until it evolves at level 59...

Agreed. It takes way too long, it's insane. No clue why they thought that was ever a good idea. Same goes for Hydreigon at Level 64 iirc

Not totally sure and my mind will probably not be made up until I play. At the moment it's just Ribombee and Malamar. I never used a Malamar in XY, so this would be a good time, and the same with Ribombee in SM.

Hoping Stunfisk is available too, since I've never used one of those either, but if it isn't then I might go for Palossand.

I'm still sticking to Gen 7 Pokemon for my first run through of USUM. I will probably have Dusk Form Lycanroc, Golisopod, Decidueye, and Turtonator are my dream team so far. I'll probably also have Toucannon and one of the Alola form Kanto mon.

Rowlet, Pikachu & Event Rockruff are the only ones for sure I know I want.

Rowlet of course! For my starter. I'm ready to tackle this alternate Alola with him like I did the original.

In terms of new additions, I'm pretty excited to raise a Buneary or Hawlucha this time around. Definitely Lycanroc Dusk. And if Alolan Raichu can learn Surf, then maybe.

It's super hard not to be a creature of habit with this-I used Goodra and Sylveon in Moon, and I kind of want to use them again but not :cry:

The team i've come up with is
Primarina
Bewear
Zoroark
Shiinotic
Froslass
Luxray (I want to use a Luxray so much that if it isn't in the alola dex, i'll transfer one from SM)

I've just about finished planning out my teams. So far they feature only those Pokemon that are obtainable in-game, and unlike last time, will not be comprised of exclusively Alola-region Pokemon. (They're subject to change between now and the release date, obviously.) Decided to go with the Popplio line in the place of the Litten line this time around.

The last slot is up for grabs.

Ultra Sun
Decidueye
Lycanroc (Dusk)
Bewear
Zoroark
Volcarona
[~Empty Slot~]

Ultra Moon
Primarina
Lycanroc (Dusk)
Tsareena
Mienshao
Alolan Muk
[~Empty Slot~]

This isn't a set-in-stone team I have in mind, but just one I'm throwing around temporarily.

Ultra Sun Team (minus starter since I haven't decided on it yet)

Alolan Ninetales
Kantonian Ninetales (breed one from Sun and bank it then transfer to Ultra Sun) or Larvesta if that fails
Vaporeon/Bruxish (Yes, I want to use it for laughs)
Garchomp

I'm needing an electric type and my starter. I might go Rowlet this time honestly just so I can have a core.

727MS.png
200MS.png
284MS.png
618MS.png
201QUMS.png
201QUMS.png
201QUMS.png

this is what's for sure. I like Incineroar, but not very much, so that'll be in rotation with something else. Primarina's my favorite Alola started, but I already used one in Moon. Misdreavus is a ghost-type I like a lot but never used in a playthrough before, and I have zero intention of evolving her. Mismagius is cool, but not as much. Masquerain is a pretty bug-type I've never used in a playthrough before, either. Lastly, Stunfisk is Stunfisk. I've only used it once before (a Shinyfisk in X), and it wasn't even my first playthrough of the game.

if for some reason Gamefreak commits the disgusting sin of leaving fisky out of the dex, this is what we have instead

777MS.png

togedemaru is the only pikaclone that could ever replace stunfisk

226MS.png
771MS.png
121MS.png
748MS.png
779MS.png
222MS.png

as a water-type fangirl, I'll need one of those. Wishiwashi seems broken in-game, and I already used Araquanid in Moon, so this is what we have left. Pyukumuku, Toxapex, and Bruxish have the advantage of being Gen VI mons, which my team is lacking in.

735MS.png
623MS.png
778MS.png
760MS.png
763MS.png

...and these are just some other things I was heavily considering. Golurk I'd probably only use if stunfisk isn't in the dex, since I somewhat try to avoid overlapping types too much.

I'm not sure how closely I'll actually follow this plan when I get Ultra Moon. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
In Moon my playthrough team was Primarina, Tsareena, Alolan Marowak, Magnezone, Absol, and Espeon. I know I wanna use Mimikyu in Ultra Moon. All the other Pokémon I wanna try seem to be ghost type too though... Decidueye, Dhelmise, Trevenant, Palossand, so we'll see. I kind of want to use Ribombee and Alolan Raichu too. So yeah I'm not entirely sure yet.

Definitely Litten, might breed a HA Alolan Vulpix, probably an Alolan Grimer, maybe one of those Totem Pokemon, and a Morelull for sure. Still leaves an open spot (hopefully for a new Alolan form) otherwise I don't know yet, but I'm open to suggestions

Decidueye, Arcanine, Lycanroc and Ampharos are locked. The other two are still undecided. I want to use Kommo-o again, but I don't want to cheat him into the game again by using the GTS or Bank.

We'll see.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom