• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

eBay to host “Catch 151” event for Pokémon Day, auctioning off rare TCG cards and merch starting at $1.51

Status
Not open for further replies.
eBay Catch 151 auction items
The multinational e-commerce platform eBay announced today that they are partnering with major Pokémon card and merch sellers on their platform for the “Catch 151” auction, which is scheduled for Pokémon Day 2024. The auctions of 151 items, including expensive merchandise from collaborations and rare Trading Card Game products, will be live beginning 12:01 am EST on February 27th and will end at 12:01am EST on February 28th. In honor of the number of Generation I Pokémon, every item included in the auction will have its price begin at $1.51 USD.

The secondhand Pokémon market on eBay is immense; eBay reports that in 2023, users searched for Pokemon items more than 400 times a minute globally, on average. They also report that the top searched Pokémon for the year was Charizard, followed by Pikachu and Mew. The most expensive Pokémon item ever sold on eBay was a PSA 10 GEM MINT Charizard Base Set 1st Edition Shadowless card, which went for $217,500 in November of 2023. In regards to cards included in the “Catch 151” auction, each is backed by eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee, meaning that they are authenticated by eBay’s own experts before being sent to the buyer.

There will also be live auctions occurring from 12:00 pm EST until midnight on February 27th on eBay Live, which is accessible through the eBay app. Nine eBay sellers will be live with various Pokémon merchandise for sale, including a HS Undaunted Booster Box.

Nick Sergakis, Founder of TheTCGenius store on eBay, said:

“I’ve been a huge Pokémon fan since the Red and Blue days, and through eBay I’ve been able to reach others around the world who share my passion, turning my hobby into a full-time business. I've sold more than eight thousand Pokémon cards on eBay, and I’m excited to connect with the community through the ‘Catch 151’ auction in a really fun, unique way on the biggest Pokémon day of the year.”

While a full list of items for auction will not be available until the day of, eBay has confirmed that the event will include:
  • A collection of cards from the game’s first trading card release, the Base Set First Edition, including Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Mewtwo, Zapdos and more
  • Alternate issues of some of the most popular TCG cards, such as Dark Charizard, Sabrina’s Gengar and Shining Tyranitar
  • Exclusive promo cards, like CoroCoro Mew and the now infamously-scalpedPikachu with Grey Felt Hat” from The Pokémon Company International’s collab with the Van Gogh Museum
  • The Special Full Art print of Umbreon VMAX from Evolving Skies nicknamed “Moonbreon,” as well as Special Illustration versions of Mew and Charizard from Paldean Fates
  • Several collaboration items developed in partnership with top luxury, fashion and sporting goods brands, including a Fendi x FRGMNT x Pokémon Peekaboo ISeeU Petite bag featuring Dratini and a Tiffany x Arsham Studio x Pokémon Diamond Necklace with Pikachu Pendant
  • eBay's promo image for the event also contains a Santa Cruz x Pokémon skateboard, Puma x Pokémon Rider FV Pikachu Sneakers, and a Pikachu Funko Pop!

Sources
Last edited:
KelsiDavis

KelsiDavis

Bulbanews Writer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Search Bulbapedia

Back
Top Bottom