• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Edit Request(s)

So, I see that they are switching to the Switch era menu sprites. BUT, there's a problem with that change. That problem, is the inconsistency between those sprites. So, instead of giving us a full sprite change, Gamefreak decided to ONLY create new sprites for fully evolved Pokemons. What about the rest then? Well, those guys stay in their 3ds era sprites. This also applies to the Pokemon that aren't in Gen 8 (ex: Johto to Kalos starters). Those also don't get a new sprite. Some may get them in Crown Tundra, but the remaining fully evolved Pokemons get nothing. So, my suggestion is to stick to the 3ds era sprites until Gamefreak gives us a full sprite update, because of the inconsistency between the Pokemon. Hopefully we get a complete sprite update after the Switch era is finished. If we actually get that, we can change the sprites to become the sprites of that era. So, I found a comment on the Smogon forums on a topic similar to this and user Coolman6001 said that it would look weird when the fully evolved Pokemon that didn't get new sprites appear along side the Pokemon with new sprites.
Here's an example of what Coolman6001 said
View attachment 136011
See? It looks weird when you have the Switch sprite of Zekrom next to the 3ds sprite of Landorus. Like, you have this big Zekrom on top of this small Landorus. Now let's see what it looks like if reversed.
View attachment 136013
Ok, this looks more weird than the other one.
So, in conclusion, I agree with Coolman6001's statement of it looking weird to see the ones with 3ds sprites appear alongside the ones with the Switch sprites. So my recommendation is to wait until Crown Tundra releases. Then, we'll discuss again on the sprite changing. For now, to not make it look weird, I suggest going back to the 3ds sprites .View attachment 136014

If you don't think it looks weird, look at some weird messyness on Serebii
View attachment 136056
View attachment 136057
View attachment 136058

So please. If you don't want to see inconsistency messes like this, change it back to the 3ds sprites until more Pokemon get Switch sprites for now.
When I was talking about SwSh sprites alongside 3DS sprites, I was talking about this in relation to Pokemon Showdown where the GUIs there would need a complete rehaul in order to support those. In short, the battle scene ends up smaller, the sidebars look a little too big, and there's much more white space there.

When I mentioned this, I would have totally been ok with Bulbapedia using these new menu sprites (and am happy they use them) considering the only official sprites depicting some gen 8 mons use this new style anyway.

I think the solution here is to simply add the proper spacing to the templates. (In specific, this would mean adding a height of 68px and a text-align of center. I have already edited a page with these If you would like to see what it appears as.)

Attachments

• LargeSpriteDemo2.png
    LargeSpriteDemo2.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
The pictures of Galarian Slowking hasn’t been updated yet. The body styles of Kubfu, Urshifu, and Zarude haven’t been added in as well.

There’s an error on the page “Ash’s Lucario”. The trivia part says that it’s Ash’s first baby Pokémon, but his first is Phanpy from Master Quest.

There’s an error on the page “Ash’s Lucario”. The trivia part says that it’s Ash’s first baby Pokémon, but his first is Phanpy from Master Quest.
Baby Pokémon is a specific group of Pokémon, of which Riolu is a part of but not Phanpy. I’m assuming that’s what the page is referring to.

Baby Pokémon is a specific group of Pokémon, of which Riolu is a part of but not Phanpy. I’m assuming that’s what the page is referring to.
Exactly this, Phanpy is a Basic stage Pokémon whereas Riolu is a Baby Pokémon. Technically it's the second Riolu he had encountered and battled alongside but it was the first Riolu he had caught.

Found a small typo in the statistical averages section of the Flying type page.

Flying (type) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

The Overall average lists the average Base Stat Total as 452.17, but when you add up the values for individual stats (71.59 + 80.25 + 68.32 + 76.21 + 70.95 + 85.15) they come out to 452.47. I've double checked the total multiple times and it comes up the same, so I imagine someone just hit the wrong key on their number pad.

The page for Ash's Farfetch'd needs a little editorial magic; it has some sentence and grammatical errors (highlighted in image).
I'd edit the page myself, however, the errors are all primarily sections about this week's anime episode. I didn't watch this episode and so I don't want to accidently misword something and ultimately misrepresent what happened. Thanks.

The type chart for gen 1 is incorrect. I've attatched a picture of the combat chart taken directly from the nintendo Player's guide as proof (please note that the Opponent's pokemon type does have two typos where the lines don't add up, but if you compare where the types should be vs where they are) either way, the correction is that in Generation 1, and 1.5 (up to yellow at least) Ghost type (attacking) nothing is immune to ghost type moves. currently you have Normal as being immune this was not added until generation 2 or 3

Attachments

• Pokemon Yellow type guide.jpg
    Pokemon Yellow type guide.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7
The type chart for gen 1 is incorrect. I've attatched a picture of the combat chart taken directly from the nintendo Player's guide as proof (please note that the Opponent's pokemon type does have two typos where the lines don't add up, but if you compare where the types should be vs where they are) either way, the correction is that in Generation 1, and 1.5 (up to yellow at least) Ghost type (attacking) nothing is immune to ghost type moves. currently you have Normal as being immune this was not added until generation 2 or 3
The combat chart is wrong, not only the Ghost/Normal thing but on several other type matchups as well. I just tested in Pokémon Red with my Snorlax against a Gastly, and Lick, a Ghost type move, had no effect.

Edit:

Proof (note, the video is rather large, sorry)

Last edited:
Not to be rude, but wouldn't it make more sense for a guide that already has one clear error to be incorrect, rather than this being left on a common site for years and never being fixed?

Ghost and Psychic is actually a well-documented error- dialogue in the games even says to use Ghost-types against Sabrina, but there was a programming error that made Psychic immune to Ghost instead.

Not to be rude, but wouldn't it make more sense for a guide that already has one clear error to be incorrect, rather than this being left on a common site for years and never being fixed?

Ghost and Psychic is actually a well-documented error- dialogue in the games even says to use Ghost-types against Sabrina, but there was a programming error that made Psychic immune to Ghost instead.
There were only two ghost type "attacks" in Gen 1, lick, and Nightshade, and while I cannot say for sure about Lick because its been too long, I can say with 100% certainty that Nightshade did absolutely do damage to normal types in Generation 1. Which matches what the actual guide says for type comparison. The addition of Normal types being immune to Ghost damage did not happen until Gen 2

The combat chart is wrong, not only the Ghost/Normal thing but on several other type matchups as well. I just tested in Pokémon Red with my Snorlax against a Gastly, and Lick, a Ghost type move, had no effect.

Edit:

Proof (note, the video is rather large, sorry)
I couldn't remember about Lick for sure, but there were only two attack moves for ghost types in Generation 1 "Lick" and "Nightshade" Nightshade absolutely worked on normal types only Lick failed, now the bulbapedia does say that "Nightshade" was glitched to still work, I submit that its the other way around. since the Nintendo printed guide and also in the booklets that came with the games back in the day did all show that ghost did work against normal type I submit that "Lick" was the move that was glitched not to work, and the type chart on the pedia is wrong, not the other way around since the company that made the game printed the guide that says that its wrong.

There were only two ghost type "attacks" in Gen 1, lick, and Nightshade, and while I cannot say for sure about Lick because its been too long, I can say with 100% certainty that Nightshade did absolutely do damage to normal types in Generation 1. Which matches what the actual guide says for type comparison. The addition of Normal types being immune to Ghost damage did not happen until Gen 2
I couldn't remember about Lick for sure, but there were only two attack moves for ghost types in Generation 1 "Lick" and "Nightshade" Nightshade absolutely worked on normal types only Lick failed, now the bulbapedia does say that "Nightshade" was glitched to still work, I submit that its the other way around. since the Nintendo printed guide and also in the booklets that came with the games back in the day did all show that ghost did work against normal type I submit that "Lick" was the move that was glitched not to work, and the type chart on the pedia is wrong, not the other way around since the company that made the game printed the guide that says that its wrong.
My original post was a mess of edits so I deleted it and made this (hopefully) more clear post.

Nightshade is a special case because it doesn't deal damage based on a base power. Sonic Boom, Super Fang, and Seismic Toss, for example, can all hit Ghost types while other Normal and Fighting type moves cannot. It seems to me that moves that deal damage unconventionally, such as being based on a set number, ignore type immunities. That would explain why Lick, a move that deals damage like most other offensive attacks, cannot touch Normal types while Nightshade can. This doesn't mean that the developers intended for Ghost type attacks to hit Normal types, it just suggests a programming quirk or oversight that lead to these types of moves being able to hit opponents they normally shouldn't have.

As for the guidebook, Nintendo only publishes the Pokémon games; the actual developer is a company called GameFreak and, to my understanding, Nintendo has little bearing on how the games are developed. So a guidebook being made by Nintendo doesn't make it credible, and Pokémon guidebooks are not always accurate. The Japanese version of the official Sword and Shield guidebook reportedly had multiple errors, for example.

Last edited:
Adding to SpinyShell's points, it really doesn't make sense to assume that Lick would have a random glitch that made it ineffective against Normal types. Glitches don't just spring up out of thin air, there's some reason in the code for them to happen. Lick is a move that deals damage in the same way as most other moves, and its effect is a chance of paralysis, which is also shared by several other moves. There's really no reason why it should have a random glitch where it doesn't affect Normal-types. Meanwhile, Night Shade has a clear reason for the error- moves that deal a direct amount of damage bypass the type calculation.
since the company that made the game printed the guide that says that its wrong.
Again, said guide clearly has errors in it. There's dialogue in the Saffron Gym where one trainer says

"Psychic POKEMON fear only ghosts and bugs!"

But this guide contradicts that, saying Psychic is weak to Bug and nothing else.

This would seem to suggest to me that the type matchups were written by someone based on their playthrough of the game, rather than actually checking the game's code.

As revealed in an interview in the May 2021 issue of Animage (page 65), Ash's Dracovish is voiced by Kenyu Horiuchi.
Source

On Protean's page ( Protean (Ability) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia ), it is stated that no Protean user can become a Fairy type due to no Hidden Power Fairy existing and neither the Froakie line or Kecleon learning a Fairy move. However, this is incorrect. Kecleon can learn Natural Gift, which becomes a Fairy-type move if used by a Pokémon holding a Kee Berry or a Roseli Berry. When Protean Kecleon uses Natural Gift while holding either of these berries, it transforms into a Fairy type until another move is used.

On Barry's Platinum team page, it says that his team gets a 10-level increase after entering the Hall of Fame 10 times. I can affirm that that is not true; I entered the HoF 11 times (with only the first run being against the Elite Four/Cynthia's weaker/initial teams) and Barry's team levels are still at their initial levels.

Back
Top Bottom